Kristian Lander

2 hours ago, IU878176 said:

RE: NIL $$.

It’s really none of our business, and we may never know the answer, but I would be interested to know if the players are making NIL cash that could possibly sway them to stay.  I have no idea if our guys are barely making pizza money or if they are hauling in meaningful (10’s of thousands) cash. 

RE Lander:

Many different opinions in regards to his playing time etc but I don’t think there is any doubt that he is the all-time IU leader in the “forum posts per minutes played” category.

Just imagine if Brown was also on the team riding the pine.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

They are wrong as usual....😊. But even at 54 most of those players dont even make the team.

There has been plenty of players leave and not get drafted.  Some are just ready to start their career even if it means it is not in the NBA.  I don't understand that line of thinking but we see this every year.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

There has been plenty of players leave and not get drafted.  Some are just ready to start their career even if it means it is not in the NBA.  I don't understand that line of thinking but we see this every year.

I hope TJD having 2 men in his life that were pro athletes, give him the right advice. And I hope TJD is smarter than most kids. Its not like he is hurting for cash.

• Like 1

Back on Lander, he was an in-state five star recruit and those guys 100% capture the imagination of the fan base.  They will always be fan favorites.  A lot of us remember Delray Brooks.  I recall very well how much we anticipated him coming.  He was in high school and we were like “wait until Brooks gets here.”   And when he came he wasn’t as good of an athlete as advertised. He struggled and transferred.  I’d say it was a shock based on the high interest he generated.  

But the in state 5 star guy gets the benefit of the doubt probably over even the coaches.  “Why isn’t he playing?”   It’s always been that way IMO.

I think Lander has promise and hopefully he sticks with it here.  He comes across as a great kid.  He needs to get stronger, work on his on the ball defense, bring higher urgency, and mentally make the right plays.  It’s a big ask and will obviously take some time.  

He is not Ja Morant physically but I think he can be a good player. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

Yes, agree that, fair or not,  KL’s 5 star rating is a big reason people had such high expectations for him. The recruiting services are not, of course, perfect but the odds (not a guarantee) are high that a 5 star player comes out of the gate being productive. According to 247 we have landed 10 five stars since 2000. One of them is Lander and one is incoming JHS (who is listed as a CG but is actually playing PG this season). 

The other 8 five stars are:Eric Gordon, Romeo, DJ White, Cody Zeller, James Blackmon, Yogi, Noah Vonieh, Thomas Bryant all of whom were heavy contributors their freshmen years. Vonieh started all but one game his freshman year while the other 7 started every game as freshmen.  It’s not KL’s fault that he was rated too highly but it is a reason that fans had high expectations. 

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 3

On 12/23/2021 at 7:19 PM, Indykev said:

I hope TJD having 2 men in his life that were pro athletes, give him the right advice. And I hope TJD is smarter than most kids. Its not like he is hurting for cash.

I think his dad wanted him to leave after last year not being in any mock draft. As selfish as we are wanting him back next year, he needs to be selfish and make the best decision for him. I don’t think another year in college does him in good. But that’s why I manage construction and not athletes¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by ledies22
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

I think his dad wanted him to leave after last year not being in any mock draft. As selfish as we are wanting him back next year, he needs to be selfish and make the best decision for him. I don’t think another year in college does him in good. But that’s why I manage construction and not athletes¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

If he leaves undrafted what good does that do him? He still can't shoot and is a lazy passer. One more year in college would do a lot of good if he wants to improve those things. If he leaves I hope he speaks a few languages.

17 minutes ago, Indykev said:

If he leaves undrafted what good does that do him? He still can't shoot and is a lazy passer. One more year in college would do a lot of good if he wants to improve those things. If he leaves I hope he speaks a few languages.

There was a lot of chatter when he committed that he was only going to be here for 2 years, even if it meant going undrafted. Woodson's biggest offseason victory was convincing him and his dad to stay here. 

I hate the mindset that's started to permeate the college basketball landscape, that guys who have any chance of playing professionally don't benefit from college. But TJD could have gone to play for Jackie Moon and the Flint Tropics and that probably would have been better than another year of Archie-ball. 

On 12/23/2021 at 6:34 PM, IU Scott said:

It wouldn't surprise me if some of them do that because their grades aren't good and classes get harder when you're an upperclassman. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 3:28 PM, IU878176 said:

Yes, agree that, fair or not,  KL’s 5 star rating is a big reason people had such high expectations for him. The recruiting services are not, of course, perfect but the odds (not a guarantee) are high that a 5 star player comes out of the gate being productive. According to 247 we have landed 10 five stars since 2000. One of them is Lander and one is incoming JHS (who is listed as a CG but is actually playing PG this season). 

The other 8 five stars are:Eric Gordon, Romeo, DJ White, Cody Zeller, James Blackmon, Yogi, Noah Vonieh, Thomas Bryant all of whom were heavy contributors their freshmen years. Vonieh started all but one game his freshman year while the other 7 started every game as freshmen.  It’s not KL’s fault that he was rated too highly but it is a reason that fans had high expectations. 

Exactly…this is what an Indiana HS five star guard looks like…sorry but not sorry it’s the truth.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The reclassification didn't do him any favors as far as the recruiting rankings go. He was at #26 (5 star) for the class of 21, and dropped one place and was still a 5 star for 2020 (according to 247...he was at 26 for 2020 in Rivals ratings). So he was being rated against kids a full year older...I guess the rating services just transferred him over rather than doing an honest assessment to the class they were rating him against...

That physical difference can mean a lot. And I think that's where Khristian needs to catch up the most. Reps and game play will improve the decision making and shot (and I already think he's ahead of both Rob and XJ as a passer), but he's not physically strong enough to hold his own on the defensive end. He's as quick as both Rob and XJ, just not as strong...In the rankings, he's listed at 165 lbs...on this years roster, he's listed at 185 (you go, Clif! ;) )so he's getting there...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The reclassification didn't do him any favors as far as the recruiting rankings go. He was at #26 (5 star) for the class of 21, and dropped one place and was still a 5 star for 2020 (according to 247...he was at 26 for 2020 in Rivals ratings). So he was being rated against kids a full year older...I guess the rating services just transferred him over rather than doing an honest assessment to the class they were rating him against...

That physical difference can mean a lot. And I think that's where Khristian needs to catch up the most. Reps and game play will improve the decision making and shot (and I already think he's ahead of both Rob and XJ as a passer), but he's not physically strong enough to hold his own on the defensive end. He's as quick as both Rob and XJ, just not as strong...In the rankings, he's listed at 165 lbs...on this years roster, he's listed at 185 (you go, Clif! ;) )so he's getting there...

...and he's quicker than Rob, but his positioning is getting him beat on drives to the hole.  KL has huge potential, but he's still very young and relatively inexperienced.

• Like 2

Just now, FKIM01 said:

...and he's quicker than Rob, but his positioning is getting him beat on drives to the hole.  KL has huge potential, but he's still very young and relatively inexperienced.

And that's the thing...

At the end of the year, if he thinks he'll be a solid contributor at IU in 2022-23, he works on his game and body/conditioning in earnest, and he's happy with Coach Woody's path for him, I think he'll eventually flourish.

If not, then he'll do something else...

I hope he looks at it objectively...If so, I think he'll see he's on the right path...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Yep...bet he has never been taught or learned how to play defense before he came in last year. He just reacted and played with his athleticism before. He is just very very slow to react on the defensive end. If his man doesn't have the ball he eases up and lets up. He has to play with the same intensity and focus when his man is away from the ball as with the ball. So much about defense off the ball is about positioning and anticipation and beating your man to the spot....he just hasn't gotten it. To me it's 90% mental with him...physically sure he has some further development to do but mostly it's mental. Parker Stewart is not very athletic at all...not even sure he can slap the backboard on a lay up...bet he couldn't beat Woody in a foot race....but he has been just fine defensively because he understands the concepts and angles and he works hard before his man ever even get's the ball to be in position to defend because he KNOWS if he gets caught out of position he is going to get burned. When Lander figures that all out...he will be on the floor.

• Like 1

LOL...I added lack of anticipation after both of you quoted me, so I think we're all on the same page.  I hope he progresses rapidly and doesn't get frustrated.  Thus far, his attitude looks excellent and it appears he's accepted his role for now at least.  I'm really rooting for him to click and become a really dangerous weapon.

• Like 3

I think by the time Lander is a Sr, wherever he is, he is going to be really good.  His vision of passing lanes and the floor are there.  Making the correct decision is slightly behind.  He rebounds good which mean he understands where he should be and is aggressive for the ball.  His defense is too much thinking.  You can always see that he is trying to get himself into place instead of just naturally moving to where he should be.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan

18 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

KL is Ronnie Johnson?

Hope not! But he wouldn't be the only highly touted recruit to pass through one of our schools that didn't reach their potential and bounce around. Honestly, I hope he stays...works on his defense...and plays a big role for us next year. I think athletically and with his gifts adding him to JHS and Bates backcourt next year....that could be something fun to watch!

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hope not! But he wouldn't be the only highly touted recruit to pass through one of our schools that didn't reach their potential and bounce around. Honestly, I hope he stays...works on his defense...and plays a big role for us next year. I think athletically and with his gifts adding him to JHS and Bates backcourt next year....that could be something fun to watch!

Always makes me nervous when a recruit is rated really high as freshman and slowly slides down the rankings 

• Like 2