2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What he did 5-10 years ago shouldn't effect the decision you make now that he is 40 years old.  Organizations like the Patriots let players go a year early than keeping them to lobg.  I can't imagine how you would have reacted if you were a Cardinals fan when they let Pulos walk.

Did the Reds get rid of Johnny Bench?  Barry Larkin?

Just now, IU Scott said:

Totally disagree because this is first time in a long time I actually see a good plan in place to build a solid roster.  What good is it to pay guys like Votto and Moose big money to finish in last place.  Two years ago they spent big money on Castellanos, Moose, Shogo and Miley and that got us 31-29 and 84-78 and got shutout in both playoff games.

Keep drinkin' that kool-aid.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

So why did they let Pulos leave after 10 great years

They technically didn't. He just took more money and years to go to LA. Hindsight it really looks good for the Cardinals because he declined. His got hurt and hasn't been the same since. Only reason they brought him back this year is a swan song so he can go out with Yadi and potentially Waino. He's been better than what I expected but he's not a big reason why they're winning.

Just now, landrus13 said:

They technically didn't. He just took more money and years to go to LA. Hindsight it really looks good for the Cardinals because he declined. His got hurt and hasn't been the same since. Only reason they brought him back this year is a swan song so he can go out with Yadi and potentially Waino. He's been better than what I expected but he's not a big reason why they're winning.

To me that was what the Reds should have done with Votto 10 years ago. Never give a 10 year/250 . Mil contract to a 30 year old player.  Can't use your heart when you are trying to build a roster to compete for the long run.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You just can't let your fondness of players effect your judgement in making roster moves. Teams like the Reds have to be great at player development and scouting for the draft and for making trades.  Teams like TB, Clev., Twins and Oakland has had some success building their teams this way and it is the best way for the Reds. Like I have said before the Cardinals didn't sign Pulos to a long term contract and let him go and have done well.

Let me check the last time the Rays, Indians, Twins, or A's have won the World Series and I'll get back to you.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Let me check the last time the Rays, Indians, Twins, or A's have won the World Series and I'll get back to you.

Would rather be like them who makes the playoffs most years over not making the playoffs. Just have to come to the conclusion that teams like Reds can't build their roster like the Yankees and Dodgers do where you can buy your team.  They can afford to spend money and over come mistakes they make in free agency or bad trades.

Scott, how in the world can you complain yesterday about the Reds getting rid of Pham, Naquin, and Drury (rebuilding moves) and then turn around today and complain that they aren't rebuilding by hanging onto Votto.

Let's be clear.  No one, and I mean NO ONE is saying we give Votto an extension at $25MM a year.  But, if they can get him to sign for a couple of team friendly one year contracts, have him be part of a DH platoon, and give him a chance to be in the playoffs 2-3 years down the line if the Reds younger core comes through why wouldn't they? 

I would certainly rather give that opportunity to Votto over Tommy Pham.  But, apparently you think Pham is the one that deserves the opportunity to be the veteran presence when that happens.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Scott, how in the world can you complain yesterday about the Reds getting rid of Pham, Naquin, and Drury (rebuilding moves) and then turn around today and complain that they aren't rebuilding by hanging onto Votto.

Let's be clear.  No one, and I mean NO ONE is saying we give Votto an extension at $25MM a year.  But, if they can get him to sign for a couple of team friendly one year contracts, have him be part of a DH platoon, and give him a chance to be in the playoffs 2-3 years down the line if the Reds younger core comes through why wouldn't they? 

I would certainly rather give that opportunity to Votto over Tommy Pham.  But, apparently you think Pham is the one that deserves the opportunity to be the veteran presence when that happens.   

I wouldn't have a problem with those trades if it brought back players that have a chance to be contributors. Pham they got nothing back and for Naquin they didn't get any top prospects.  

Sorry gang to semi starting all this stuff. I just think Votto belongs with a young team and being a mentor on how to grind/be a pro for 8 months. 

Or he'll leave. Sign with the insert team who needs a lefty bat in a short park to right and he'll win with them. Insert Yankees, Red Sox. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't have a problem with those trades if it brought back players that have a chance to be contributors. Pham they got nothing back and for Naquin they didn't get any top prospects.  

Also never said I wanted those players for the long term just didn't know why they traded them for nothing.  Also Votto will be back next year but his contract will be up and there is no reason to resign him.

Also never said I wanted those players for the long term just didn't know why they traded them for nothing.  Also Votto will be back next year but his contract will be up and there is no reason to resign him.

And, if he hits .290 with 30 homers next season, what will you say?

Figure out whose stat line I posted above comparing their age 40 and age 41 years?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, if he hits .290 with 30 homers next season, what will you say?

Figure out whose stat line I posted above comparing their age 40 and age 41 years?

If he does that then bring him back but I highly doubt he will.  Last was a good year but most of that was a hot 2 month period. The first couple months last year he was not hitting at all.

1 hour ago, rico said:

There is a reason that Yadier still plays for the Cardinals.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Did the Reds get rid of Johnny Bench?  Barry Larkin?

I think the Cardinals are one of the more loyal franchises, but there's a balance there...

The money during the Bench or Larkin years aren't what they are today... When we were talking about Nolan Ryan, who was the first million dollar player, I looked at his salaries over the years, and he made 6 million dollars less in his career than Clayton Kershaw made in one year... 

So, just like we tell @IU Scott when he talks about "babying pitchers" it's the amount of money that drives the decisions in both cases..

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So, just like we tell @IU Scott when he talks about "babying pitchers" it's the amount of money that drives the decisions in both cases..

Again, you don't bring Votto back for $25MM, but he's not going to get that anywhere.  But, paying him $5M to be a part-time DH would be good for the team.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Again, you don't bring Votto back for $25MM, but he's not going to get that anywhere.  But, paying him $5M to be a part-time DH would be good for the team.  

If you can get him for that price, certainly...

I just finished watching the last episode of "The Captain" and that kinda explained it perfectly.

When Jeter was in decline, he thought the club owed him for past years of greatness. Cashman basically made him a low (relatively speaking) offer and said if other clubs could beat that, feel free to go...

No other team would, so he signed with the Yankees again...

I'm not saying loyalty is totally out the window, but if you look at the Braves/Freddie Freeman deal last year, it's the exception rather than the norm... 

33 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Anybody see the Johnny Bench interview for FoD game?  It was great.  ARod and crew tried to duplicate JB's feet of holding 7 baseballs at one time.  They didn't do well.  This game is a really great idea.

Sadly my two favorite parts of the game was Bench talking and Votto in game. I think MLB would be wise to incorporate what they did with Votto more often. Was just cool to hear him live but also see him getting ready for each pitch. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rico said:

Tatis, Jr. suspended for 80 games...PEDS

I keep forgetting he's only been in the league for a few years. I have no clue where the Padres go from here with him considering the size and length of that contract. Kid is one of the best but if he can't stay on the field....who cares. 

The game is great... It's all the window dressing and manufactured "made for TV" moments that I'm not a big fan of...

People keep trying to recreate "magic moments" from movies and/or sports, but they use too many retreads and not enough ingenuity.

Cut down on the pomp and circumstance, and be original...