Offseason 2022

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Just for context...

8 of our 14 losses were by 5 points or less (one OT game, Ohio State, we lost by 11) with the 2 and a 3 position manned by kids that only had one of the requisite skills of a 3 level scorer...

100% and how many of those losses came without TG? Or TG AND RP... 

@BGleas and I, somewhere this off season ran through all of that. No idea where it is now.... but, Syracuse, UW, OSU, and Iowa are not types of road games I expect to lose this year. If those 4 games are Ws... we are what? 25-10 or something? 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

100% and how many of those losses came without TG? Or TG AND RP... 

@BGleas and I, somewhere this off season ran through all of that. No idea where it is now.... but, Syracuse, UW, OSU, and Iowa are not types of road games I expect to lose this year. If those 4 games are Ws... we are what? 25-10 or something? 

I remember the posts you're talking about. You guys showed that Galloway made a difference in close games. The guy doesn't put up eye-popping numbers and isn't a great shooter, but he's a winner. He does the little things that don't show up in the box score which help the team win.

He needs to be able to stay healthy. I saw earlier in the offseason that the coaching staff was making that an emphasis with him. I hope he's able to learn to avoid injury without having to change how he plays too much. He really does give it his all.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Yes, how well this team will perform at the wing positions is the biggest question mark.

Kopp we already know what we'll get. Same with Galloway.

Bates has a ton of potential and hopefully he'll meet that this upcoming season.

Geronimo is trying to transition to the wing or to at least be able to sometimes play there. Will he be successful in that? If so, how long will it take?

Can Gunn or Banks make significant contributions this season? I have my doubts, especially about Gunn, but we'll see.

Why do we know about Galloway?

I agree, he’s been the best of him, Geronimo, and Bates thus far (even with his injuries) but I don’t know why we think the other two have some possible big jump in them but not Trey?

To me, Geronimo is the least likely of those three to jump. We brought in two really good guys for him to compete with, and he’s never averaged more than 12 MPG with TJD and Race in place anyway. I just don’t see where he is going to increase his minutes much (at all) next season  

Stewart and Phinisee are gone, which I think opens up minutes for Bates and Galloway. Trey needs to be healthy and continue to improve his shooting, Tamar needed to add strength and be more aggressive defensively.

I think we have 5 guys splitting 120 minutes 1-3 and 3 guys splitting 80 minutes at the 4-5, with a couple guys picking up some spots minutes to round out spots 9 and 10 in the rotation. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree, he’s been the best of him, Geronimo, and Bates thus far (even with his injuries) but I don’t know why we think the other two have some possible big jump in them but not Trey?

To me, Geronimo is the least likely of those three to jump. We brought in two really good guys for him to compete with, and he’s never averaged more than 12 MPG with TJD and Race in place anyway. I just don’t see where he is going to increase his minutes much (at all) next season  

Stewart and Phinisee are gone, which I think opens up minutes for Bates and Galloway. Trey needs to be healthy and continue to improve his shooting, Tamar needed to add strength and be more aggressive defensively.

I think we have 5 guys splitting 120 minutes 1-3 and 3 guys splitting 80 minutes at the 4-5, with a couple guys picking up some spots minutes to round out spots 9 and 10 in the rotation. 

Because I think 2 seasons of basically the same thing is a good indicator of what's to come. Galloway will be a player that  gives 100% the whole time he's on the floor but he's reckless with his body and therefore injury prone. Might improve his shooting some but by this point I don't expect that to change significantly. He's one of my favorite players so I hope he proves me wrong. I know the coaching staff is trying to get him to take better care so he avoids injury but I don't that's really possible with the way he plays.

Many on this board are bullish on Geronimo but I'm not so I agree with you on him. I don't think he'll be an effective 3 next season and I think freshman Reneau is better than him at the 4.

Bates I think will make a big sophomore jump.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Because I think 2 seasons of basically the same thing is a good indicator of what's to come. Galloway will be a player that  gives 100% the whole time he's on the floor but he's reckless with his body and therefore injury prone. Might improve his shooting some but by this point I don't expect that to change significantly. He's one of my favorite players so I hope he proves me wrong. I know the coaching staff is trying to get him to take better care so he avoids injury but I don't that's really possible with the way he plays.

Many on this board are bullish on Geronimo but I'm not so I agree with you on him. I don't think he'll be an effective 3 next season and I think freshman Reneau is better than him at the 4.

Bates I think will make a big sophomore jump.

We probably agree more than I initially thought then. I think Galloway is a good rotation player now and I don’t see him ever developing into a star. He could be a starter at some point, maybe even this year, but we are better if Bates has taken a big leap and passed him.

I love the idea of Galloway being first off of the bench and being able to come in for X, JHS, or Bates and give us 20-25 minutes per game. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I didn't realize he was sticking around to finish his degree before moving on - wasn't there an issue with a Texas Tech (I think) player not being allowed to stick around to finish summer courses that upset some folks? Glad we did right by 'Big MIke'! 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

We probably agree more than I initially thought then. I think Galloway is a good rotation player now and I don’t see him ever developing into a star. He could be a starter at some point, maybe even this year, but we are better if Bates has taken a big leap and passed him.

I love the idea of Galloway being first off of the bench and being able to come in for X, JHS, or Bates and give us 20-25 minutes per game. 

Right. I didn't mean to imply that he's not a good player, I just meant that I don't think he'll get significantly better.

I think him starting healthy would help the team even more than him improving his shooting. He already does a lot of things which help the team win. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Right. I didn't mean to imply that he's not a good player, I just meant that I don't think he'll get significantly better.

I think him starting healthy would help the team even more than him improving his shooting. He already does a lot of things which help the team win. 

Injuries sure make things complicated, and make progress hard to predict. Certainly, a broken wrist and pulled groin are extremely detrimental to an upward development trajectory. Even though he's been with the program two years, it's a bit premature to know exactly what his ceiling is.

TJD said this last off-season, and it's worth repeating here: Coach Woodson reset the baseline for what hard work really is when trying to achieve great things at this level. That being said, I see Galloway really impressing to meet this demand, if for nothing else, he's a gym rat who wants it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Don't sleep on Kaleb Banks. I think he will be getting some minutes in there too

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

If Banks can't get minutes we are very good. He gonna be a very nice player and surprise a lot of people 

I think these freshmen are better than what we are used to. I think we have a chance to be very, very good. Our starters should be able to play with anyone. And, when we go to the bench, we should be much stronger than we were a year ago. Malik off the bench is better than Durr was, no disrespect to that young man. And, I think we can do that for every position.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I think these freshmen are better than what we are used to. I think we have a chance to be very, very good. Our starters should be able to play with anyone. And, when we go to the bench, we should be much stronger than we were a year ago. Malik off the bench is better than Durr was, no disrespect to that young man. And, I think we can do that for every position.

100%.

Some of our best lineups last year involved having multiple ball handlers and playmakers, despite X being the only really good one. Think about this year with X and JHS together for ~20 MPG. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach Robby said:

Freshmen have been doing better than advertised during scrimmages from what I’ve been told 

I am hoping to see major minutes from JHS, Reneau and Banks.  To me if they see more minutes from them and we get less from Kopp and Galloway I think that is a good sign for this team.

11 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Freshmen have been doing better than advertised during scrimmages from what I’ve been told 

It's amazing what happens when you have a 4 man class and 3 of them are ranked in the top 80ish and one in the 100's, vs the other way around. 

Archie's recruiting was really questionable. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

It's amazing what happens when you have a 4 man class and 3 of them are ranked in the top 80ish and one in the 100's, vs the other way around. 

Archie's recruiting was really questionable. 

Right, it was awful.

We got good contributions from freshman under Crean on a regular basis. I know we all have ArchieTSD, but I think we can expect a lot out of these guys. 

9 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not calling anyone out, but… TJD is a Hoosier because of CAM. Other current players as well. All this talk about how bad he recruited. All the past conversations about how players and their families read this board… And yet, the bashing, of the coach, and his recruits, continues.

I get it. CAM  flamed out. Terribly. But there are guys wearing the Candy Stripes, giving their all, for the glory of old IU, because of their connection to him.

In other words, time to put it to rest 

We can't criticize recruiting now? I mean, the record speaks for itself. Archie had several issues as the IU coach and recruiting was a big one. 

My post wasn't meant to start some debate on Archie, I defended him longer than most on here, but the difference is pretty huge so far. 

Just looking at the record, Archie had 5 top 100 recruits (including Duncomb) in his entire IU tenure. Woodson has 6 (counting 2023 commits) in one year. That will absolutely translate to success on the floor. 

Recruiting matters and recruiting is always going to be debated. We've debated these things as long as HSN has been around. We have an entire board dedicated to it. 

• Like 6