Offseason 2022

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

So, a lot of the preseason prognosticators seem to have IU on the top line of their conference predictions.

Maybe I'm overly skeptical based on recent performance, but I'm having a hard time buying into that.

What does everyone else think?

I think we have the best roster in the big ten and with the key departures from other top teams is what makes me feel IU is the best team.

• Like 2

Will our outside shooting improve?   Last season out of the 14 BigTen teams, we were:

11th out of 14 in 3-point percentage.

Last in 3-point shots made.

Last in free throw percentage.

Our defense was very good.  Overall FG% was ok (6th).  Progress was made.  But who will shoot from the outside this season, and will it be any better?

https://bigten.org/stats.aspx?path=mbball&year=2021

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Will our outside shooting improve?   Last season out of the 14 BigTen teams, we were:

Our defense was very good.  Overall FG% was ok (6th).  Progress was made.  But who will shoot from the outside this season, and will it be any better?

But there's wayyy more issues than our 3pt shooting. Or last year there were. 

Better pace offensively, more guys that can dribble drive, and committing to running after a stop/Dreb, as well.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Valid questions.

One thing that has changed is that the team replaced 3 mid-major players and one below average point guard with 4 quality freshman including 2 in the top 30 and another in the top 100.

I know that off-season improvement was nonexistent under Miller but that isn't typical. I think we'll start seeing the players get better as they get experience. 

The core of the team has also returned and now have a year of experience in Woodson's system. This means that Woodson and company can start working on improving the offense since last summer and early season they concentrated on defense.

We also saw towards the end of the year things started to click into place and play improved. Hopefully, they can carry that over into next season. That remains to be seen but there is reason for optimism, in my opinion, even with the questions remaining about shooting.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

So, a lot of the preseason prognosticators seem to have IU on the top line of their conference predictions.

Maybe I'm overly skeptical based on recent performance, but I'm having a hard time buying into that.

Stir the pot | Work humor, Humor, You funny

• Haha 4

56 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But there's wayyy more issues than our 3pt shooting. Or last year there were. 

I agree.  As much as I carp about shooting, Woodson's first season was like sailing a ship and repairing it at the same time.  

Last in free throws.  Bad.

First in team defense.  Outstanding.

I do expect us to build from that. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

2 players should be redshirted.  It's not efficient to have a half-dozen players averaging less than 10 minutes a game.

On thing to remember is that the minutes per game for all players isn't meant to add up to 1 individual game. 

It's not like Leal, Duncomb and CJ Gunn are going to combine for 12 minutes every game. Those guys probably won't play most nights, but their MPG are calculated based on the games they do play in. 

So, you can't just add up the number Mike has next to each player. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

On thing to remember is that the minutes per game for all players isn't meant to add up to 1 individual game. 

It's not like Leal, Duncomb and CJ Gunn are going to combine for 12 minutes every game. Those guys probably won't play most nights, but their MPG are calculated based on the games they do play in. 

So, you can't just add up the number Mike has next to each player. 

True but he also added it to to 200, which isn’t what the actual averages are going to add up to when you simply add each player together. 

23 hours ago, 5fouls said:

IU returns the most and has the highest floor of any team in the Big Ten so makes sense that they would be the preseason pick for most.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Meh.  

Expanding the field just dilutes the tournament more.  There is usually only 1 or maybe 2 midmajors worth a darn in the tournament in a given year.  For every 12 or 13 seed that goes on a run, there are about 10 other teams that are nothing but gun fodder.  And really what the SEC wants is for a team that went 8-10 in the league to get a chance to get hot for a few games.  One team going on a run every couple years from that group is not worth it IMO...in a single game format, I like having the cut off.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Meh.  

Expanding the field just dilutes the tournament more.  There is usually only 1 or maybe 2 midmajors worth a darn in the tournament in a given year.  For every 12 or 13 seed that goes on a run, there are about 10 other teams that are nothing but gun fodder.  And really what the SEC wants is for a team that went 8-10 in the league to get a chance to get hot for a few games.  One team going on a run every couple years from that group is not worth it IMO...in a single game format, I like having the cut off.

I'm with you but I would like to see regular season small school conference champs get in.  Maybe instead of first 4 they could do a first 8 or 12 and have more play in games.  

Edited by NotIThatLives