Jump to content

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

There were plenty on this board who argued that we shouldn't have offered Vic, because there were 100 3 star kids in Indiana to choose from.  I thought that was exactly what Fouls was saying.  I see your point on the others, but Vic still makes my point.

You are right, that's a fair point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, for the record, no meatloaf was served. — albeit, I make an amazing meatloaf!  We did have cookies and refreshments. Again, for the record, coaches do not eat cookies. What a truly blessed an

Hello, Coach.

What a great day for Anthony and the rest of the Leals!  I couldn’t be more proud of how he has handled this process!  

Posted Images

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

All other things remaining equal (academics, work ethic, off the court, etc.) I take the 80th ranked 4 star prospect from my home town  before I take the 45th ranked prospect from another state.  I do that 100% of the time.  It's a no-brainer.

The thing is all things are never equal....and especially on the court. I trust Archie to get the right guy for the program.  He can’t just take the Indiana kids every year. He has to build a program. The thing about Indiana is that we have 4 star guards a lot in our state. But a 4 Star one year might not be equal to a four star next year. You don’t have to offer every kid even the best in our state every year if it’s a down year or it will create a log jam on the roster. Offering kids has to consider what they will add to what you currently have and could likely get in the coming years. It’s about a 4 year prospect and not a short sided prospect. Given what we might be highly likely to land in 2021 and what we already have on the roster...I can understand why we may pass...but if we take him then I trust Archie has a good reason for it. It’s not black and white...and maybe Archie sees something special in a player despite what a dumb ranking says...either way.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

There were plenty on this board who argued that we shouldn't have offered Vic, because there were 100 3 star kids in Indiana to choose from.  I thought that was exactly what Fouls was saying.  I see your point on the others, but Vic still makes my point.

Vic was not ranked anywhere near  45th.  From that fact alone he does not fit into my point.  And I also said "all other things being equal".  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Vic was not ranked anywhere near  45th.  From that fact alone he does not fit into my point.  And I also said "all other things being equal".  

If memory serves, Vic was a fringe top-100, 3*, yeah?

I mean, Vic’s recruitment and development were a couple things Tom Crean got unequivocally right during his tenure.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also will say that usually....usually there is a reason a guy is a top 50 recruit...something very special meaning one of the top in the whole country at his position....they stand out. I would say the difference between a top 50 player from a top 100 is much bigger than an 80-130 because at that point the physical differences and skills get close together. Top 50 to me is a guy that can arguably be a 5 Star kid...3-4 stars to me overlapp much more. All said and done though these scouts don’t see potential the same as a coach...and how they might excel in their system...so perhaps this kid might benefit from being in our system more than a higher ranked kid. All I know as soon as I say an Indiana kid is a better fit or always take the higher ranked kid then I know I’ll be wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zerawkid said:

If memory serves, Vic was a fringe top-100, 3*, yeah?

I mean, Vic’s recruitment and development were a couple things Tom Crean got unequivocally right during his tenure.

I think Vic was in the mid 140's.  That was a tip of the hat to Crean's ability to find underappreciated kids, probably after striking out on higher-ranked kids (I don't remember for certain but it seems likely). Yeah, yeah, yeah...we know he brought some clunkers too, but Vic & OG were really nice finds and I give him credit for that.

I don't even think Archie necessarily WANTS all top-50 kids. The more of that you have, the more roster turnover you get, so some kids in the 50-100 range may actually be desirable for program stability.  Considering kids like Al Durham, Damezi Anderson and Rob Phinisee, I'm very glad to have kids outside the top 50 on the team.  If an Indiana kid can play, doesn't have any obvious character issues and fits the system, I don't care if he's a little outside the top 50.

I also don't care if Archie isn't the first offer.  Communicate with the kid and let him know you are following him with the idea of eventually offering a scholarship as long as the kid develops and stays out of trouble.  I'd even go as far as stating that offering later can create the idea that Indiana scholarships are more valuable than schools that offer really early.  Those schools seem almost to be trying too hard or even desperate.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I think Vic was in the mid 140's.  That was a tip of the hat to Crean's ability to find underappreciated kids, probably after striking out on higher-ranked kids (I don't remember for certain but it seems likely). Yeah, yeah, yeah...we know he brought some clunkers too, but Vic & OG were really nice finds and I give him credit for that.

I don't even think Archie necessarily WANTS all top-50 kids. The more of that you have, the more roster turnover you get, so some kids in the 50-100 range may actually be desirable for program stability.  Considering kids like Al Durham, Damezi Anderson and Rob Phinisee, I'm very glad to have kids outside the top 50 on the team.  If an Indiana kid can play, doesn't have any obvious character issues and fits the system, I don't care if he's a little outside the top 50.

I also don't care if Archie isn't the first offer.  Communicate with the kid and let him know you are following him with the idea of eventually offering a scholarship as long as the kid develops and stays out of trouble.  I'd even go as far as stating that offering later can create the idea that Indiana scholarships are more valuable than schools that offer really early.  Those schools seem almost to be trying too hard or even desperate.

Agree to most of that. You don't have to offer a kid early as long as you have been communicating with him early. Fact is our roster has to shape out to know what openings we will have after the draft and transfers to make a commitment to a kid too far out...especially one that we know will say yes immediately. This is as much for the kids good as ours. Save him from being recruited over and sitting the bench etc. Teams like Iowa etc know they will take you now because they know you immediately upgrade their roster and can make time for you. UK always offers late...as long as you are there showing love and being respectful and up front and honest you won't be hurt by offering last. It might just be we don't have a spot (at his position) to offer until we know how the roster shakes out after the season. We may expect some to go but we can't be for certain. We are worth waiting on.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

Leal is playing here at New Albany. He has a college ready body and a good 3 point stroke.

Thanks for the report Rev.  Blessings to you and yours during this special holiday season .  And thanks for being a great HSN member and sharing information with me,  out of N.A. with me in the past.  Much, much appreciated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 3:09 PM, zerawkid said:

If memory serves, Vic was a fringe top-100, 3*, yeah?

I mean, Vic’s recruitment and development were a couple things Tom Crean got unequivocally right during his tenure.

Somewhat disagree.....Vic had a SERIOUS DESIRE to improve himself.  He had intrinsic motivation out the ying yang......I would bet he leads every player in time logged post practice in Cook.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mookied39 said:

Somewhat disagree.....Vic had a SERIOUS DESIRE to improve himself.  He had intrinsic motivation out the ying yang......I would bet he leads every player in time logged post practice in Cook.

False. Jordan Hulls lead the way in time spent in the gym which rubbed off on Vic. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HSRecruitingNews said:

Would love to get Leal.  From Bloomington, 4 year player, shooter, and probably another Mr. Basketball to play for the Hoosiers.

If we take 3 in that class or miss on some of the better guards we're after then absolutely yes.  I definitely think we need a big in 2020.  Deron will be gone and who knows how Race and Forrester will develop. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mookied39 said:

Somewhat disagree.....Vic had a SERIOUS DESIRE to improve himself.  He had intrinsic motivation out the ying yang......I would bet he leads every player in time logged post practice in Cook.

Not doubting that at all...but, where was Vic even being recruited to? 

My point was merely that Crean saw him, saw the potential before the intrinsic motivation equated to vast improvement, and signed him to be a Hoosier. In that, he gave Vic tremendous resources and a wonderful platform to improve and then showcase his skills. I think there is plenty to forget all about during Crean's tenure, Vic is not part of that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

If by chance we have someone leave could Leal be the 20 kid that reclassifies to a 19 given his academic standing? Also being a home town kid his parents might not discourage it. I'm getting the feeling that it's just a matter of when not if with the kid given his progression. He has definitely worked hard at his game and I would hate to have a Phinisee situation with him going to Purdue or something. He might not be able to help us much next year but could be another strength and conditioning thing like Race did....redshirt.

Edited by dgambill
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

Can someone tell me why we haven't offered this kid yet? With his shooting ability it seems like a no brainer. He would likely commit right away too.

I’m assuming it’s because they’re not sure how many scholarships will be available for his class, and probably want to prioritize others ahead of him.

Edited by StLHoosier
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...