Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, rico said:

I truly believe that Phin is that guy.

I posted a while back how many of the current players are "Crean" recruited players. Phinisee is NOT!

He is an Archie Miller prototype. Don Fischer said it best, a few days ago,......... He said several time during the podcast on the Dan Dakich Show......This Indiana team doesn't understand what the name on the front of their jersey means...... 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

CAM's point is that NO ONE IS THAT GUY right now.

MORGAN has to take the challenge and the responsibility to be THE GUY for this years team.  RP should inherit that mantle next year.  JM is the senior, is on the floor the majority of minutes, and has the cred from his teammates who would listen to and respect him.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

CAM's point is that NO ONE IS THAT GUY right now.

MORGAN has to take the challenge and the responsibility to be THE GUY for this years team.  RP should inherit that mantle next year.  JM is the senior, is on the floor the majority of minutes, and has the cred from his teammates who would listen to and respect him.   

I don't think THAT GUY is class specific.  JMO.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

CAM's point is that NO ONE IS THAT GUY right now.

MORGAN has to take the challenge and the responsibility to be THE GUY for this years team.  RP should inherit that mantle next year.  JM is the senior, is on the floor the majority of minutes, and has the cred from his teammates who would listen to and respect him.   

I agree.  Whether it comes natural or not, JM needs to step up and do it for the good of the team.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I said this a couple of weeks ago. Someone brought up Sheehy as the last guy that we had that was a tough SOB that wouldn't take it from anyone.

Ideally, you would want a more complimentary player in this role, not a leading scorer or point guard. At least imo, this role, having an "edge", brings with it the possibility of being in the middle of scraps, altercations, what have you. Don't want a vital piece to the team in those situations, if possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't think THAT GUY is class specific.  JMO.  

Agree, and it also doesn't have to be the best player. For the Celtics it's Marcus Smart, who wasn't even a starter until recently. It just has to be a guy that plays hard, is dedicated, and everyone respects. I think Phinisee will eventually be "that guy", and another I think who could do it maybe a little sooner is Al Durham. This is just from watching games, but I feel like Durham has some leadership qualities. Morgan of course can as well. In general, I'd love to see a little more vocal leadership on the court. Maybe it is happening though, might be tough to see on TV.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

As much as I poke at his inefficiency, Carson Edwards is that guy for Purdue.

I love Carson.  However as good as he is... he needs help from the rest of the team. As was evidenced the other night.

The only guy I can recall who was capable of carrying an entire team on his back..... was the great Danny Manning, the year he personally took Kansas to a NCAAT Championship, in 1988.  Inspiring the phrase :  "Danny and the Miracles".  Taking a rather mediocre (for them)  Jayhawk team, all the way. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly off topic, but do I miss the Will Sheehey's of the game. The guy that your fanbase loves, and every other fanbase despises. That kid would walk into an opposing team's building and just FEED off the booing and jeering.

We need a few kids like that. And believe me, that attitude is infectious.

Not saying Will Sheehey was necessarily a "leader" per se, but the guy wasn't scared of a damn thing. Nothing could intimidate him. We don't have that right now. Juwan is the closest thing. And Juwan is the only one that can remotely be the leader that this team needs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ephul said:

Slightly off topic, but do I miss the Will Sheehey's of the game. The guy that your fanbase loves, and every other fanbase despises. That kid would walk into an opposing team's building and just FEED off the booing and jeering.

We need a few kids like that. And believe me, that attitude is infectious.

Not saying Will Sheehey was necessarily a "leader" per se, but the guy wasn't scared of a damn thing. Nothing could intimidate him. We don't have that right now. Juwan is the closest thing. And Juwan is the only one that can remotely be the leader that this team needs.

Michael Lewis, AJ Moye, Dane Fife, Tom Coverdale, Will Sheehey...those of recent years...even Yogi had a lot of good leadership...whether it is Juwan or Davis or Green someone has to step into that role. Interesting enough it's mostly been guards for us most recently...but would love to see a "big" intimidator...maybe a guy that is a spark plug off the bench that can come in and be that enforcer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I love Carson.  However as good as he is... he needs help from the rest of the team. As was evidenced the other night.

The only guy I can recall who was capable of carrying an entire team on his back..... was the great Danny Manning, the year he personally took Kansas to a NCAAT Championship, in 1988.  Inspiring the phrase :  "Danny and the Miracles".  Taking a rather mediocre (for them)  Jayhawk team, all the way. 

 

True. I also think of Glen Rice the following year who went on one of the great tourney runs ever, averaging almost 31 per game, to give MI and Steve Fisher a title. Rice had more of a supporting cast, though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

True. I also think of Glen Rice the following year who went on one of the great tourney runs ever, averaging almost 31 per game, to give MI and Steve Fisher a title. Rice had more of a supporting cast, though.

Good observation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mookied39 said:

Brian Cardinal was this guy for me as an opponent.

Fife was our best in my recollection.

Bobby's teams did not seem to need them or I just do not remember them as much.

Gotta agree with you on Cardinal. 

IU has had some tough Hombre's through the years.  Many of whom have already been mentioned in this thread. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...