NBA Thread

2 minutes ago, rico said:

No.  I have never worked within any leagues and what not.

What does that have to do with it? I was a huge NBA and college basketball fan before I ever worked for the Celtics, and I still am today. I'm a huge NFL and college football fan. I was a huge MLB fan until I realized how incredibly boring it is. 

You clearly also have biases against the NBA. 

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

What does that have to do with it? I was a huge NBA and college basketball fan before I ever worked for the Celtics, and I still am today. I'm a huge NFL and college football fan. I was a huge MLB fan until I realized how incredibly boring it is. 

You clearly also have biases against the NBA. 

No bias against the NBA.  It just doesn't grab my attention.  Oh, I follow it.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I was going to stay out of the discussion the last couple days in this thread because the topic has been beaten to death, but the site is so slow recently so I might as well jump in. 

First, these are all opinion things so will vary greatly by the person and there are no right or wrong opinions here. With that said, for the life of me I can't imagine sitting down and watching an entire MLB game even if my favorite team was playing, let alone two teams I don't care about. I haven't watched an entire MLB game since the Red Sox-Dodgers World Series. 

In terms of entertainment value, I would watch 6 random (non Celtics) NBA games in a row before I'd sit down and watch the Royals and the Orioles play a regular season MLB game. 

I also love the NFL, but even with the NFL come October unless teams I like are playing in the Sunday or Monday night games, I typically watch a few snaps here and there, but then move on to something else. I'm definitely watching if my teams are playing, for sure, but I'm not watching the Sunday night game in November if it's San Francisco vs. Arizona or something. 

With that said, I also don't sit down and watch entire NBA games unless it's the Celtics. So, it's not like I'm hunting the Hornet-Pelicans game on TNT either. But, I will watch for a bit much like the random Sunday night NFL game.

Then with college basketball, again I love college basketball, but you're telling me you enjoy watching Georgia Tech vs. Wake Forrest in January as both teams shoot 40% from the field and struggle to score 60 points? Like, what about that is entertaining? 

I remember earlier this season IU and the Celtics played at the same time. I chose to watch IU because as we can all agree with fewer games more rides on a singular college basketball game, and I knew when IU ended I would still get to watch half of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th of the Celtics game. 

I can't remember who either team was playing, but I just remember when I flipped to the Celtics just being stunned at how immensely better the game was. How immensely better the defense was, the passing, the shooting, the flow of the game, it was an incredibly more enjoyable viewing experience. The skill and game play was head shoulders better.

Don't get me wrong, I love IU and I love college basketball for the pageantry the school rivalries and all of that. And again this is all opinion, but I still will never understand how people think the college game (just speaking on the actual game play) is better when teams routinely struggle to score and struggle to even shoot a remotely respectable percentage. It's painful at times.  

Agree. Very opinion based. And I'm with you on Baseball...omg its murder. Only been a few times I was invested in what I was watching....Sosa vs McGwuire....Cubs playoff runs. Outside that I usually don't watch until the NLDS and World Series. (I did like watching the Braves back during their run) Football I can watch just about any game any time and from start to finish unless it's just really bad. Goes for college on Saturday too if I don't have things to do. I can watch Air Force vs BYU....doesn't matter (I'd rather not though). College basketball is the same. Doesn't matter who is playing. Heck when I lived in Murray KY I would go watch Murray St games (and I had no affiliation with the school in any way). I did like the NBA...a lot!! I think the stars and the narrative of the league changed a lot. A child of the 80's and a teenager in the 90's it was pretty golden what I grew up on as far as the NBA. Maybe the NBA just did a better job marketing the players because now...I can't be bothered to care for any of the players. The players are as talented as ever before....heck you got Steph Curry dropping bombs from just past center court. It is no doubt the most talented and highly skilled it's been but yet the players and league just doesn't appeal to me anymore.  Guess it's just my demographic. The >40 probably isn't who they care about anyways. Again I think I go back to likability....these guys overall just aren't very likable to me. I know players used to be public with their opinions, cry to the officials, and demand trades before but somehow it's either the coverage or its just me...but it's different..and it turns me off. Thus the appeal of amateurism. Faceless/nameless kids I know nothing about but watching them fight their heart out to win a game and reach their dreams. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, rico said:

No bias against the NBA.  It just doesn't grab my attention.  Oh, I follow it.

Ok, and I don't have a bias against MLB, I just find it incredibly boring. I don't have a bias against the NFL or College football, I enjoy them both. Heck, I have thousands of posts on HSN racked up over 12-13 years so clearly don't have a bias against college basketball. I played it and I've always loved it. I've never once posted on an NBA or Celtics message board. 

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agree. Very opinion based. And I'm with you on Baseball...omg its murder. Only been a few times I was invested in what I was watching....Sosa vs McGwuire....Cubs playoff runs. Outside that I usually don't watch until the NLDS and World Series. (I did like watching the Braves back during their run) Football I can watch just about any game any time and from start to finish unless it's just really bad. Goes for college on Saturday too if I don't have things to do. I can watch Air Force vs BYU....doesn't matter (I'd rather not though). College basketball is the same. Doesn't matter who is playing. Heck when I lived in Murray KY I would go watch Murray St games (and I had no affiliation with the school in any way). I did like the NBA...a lot!! I think the stars and the narrative of the league changed a lot. A child of the 80's and a teenager in the 90's it was pretty golden what I grew up on as far as the NBA. Maybe the NBA just did a better job marketing the players because now...I can't be bothered to care for any of the players. The players are as talented as ever before....heck you got Steph Curry dropping bombs from just past center court. It is no doubt the most talented and highly skilled it's been but yet the players and league just doesn't appeal to me anymore.  Guess it's just my demographic. The >40 probably isn't who they care about anyways. Again I think I go back to likability....these guys overall just aren't very likable to me. I know players used to be public with their opinions, cry to the officials, and demand trades before but somehow it's either the coverage or its just me...but it's different..and it turns me off. Thus the appeal of amateurism. Faceless/nameless kids I know nothing about but watching them fight their heart out to win a game and reach their dreams. 

We're about the same age, so I don't think it has anything to do with being over/under 40. I'm child of the 80's/90's as well. 

I love football, I'm a huge fan, but between the NFL going from Thursday through Monday and all of the college football games, I find football has been way too saturated. Again don't get me wrong, I'm watching football, but typically by Sunday afternoon I'm pretty bored with it unless my Eagles are playing (or Steelers which is my wife's team). 

Also again, you know I love college basketball, but the actual game play I find to be pretty terrible. I love watching IU and the pageantry, but I don't get what everyone loves about watching teams struggle to shoot 40% and score 60 points while mostly turning the ball over 15ish+ times. The actual product on the court I find to be pretty bad most nights. 

As far as the NBA and it's stars, I'm not sure when the NBA has had more likable stars? The stars of the last decade or two are all clean cut, never get in trouble, are highly skilled, etc., etc. You've never heard of LeBron throwing someone through a bar window (and I love Charles Barkley), you've never heard of Steph Curry having money or drug problems like many stars of the 80's. You might not like their politics, but these guys are building schools, donating millions of dollars, etc., etc. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I was going to stay out of the discussion the last couple days in this thread because the topic has been beaten to death, but the site is so slow recently so I might as well jump in. 

First, these are all opinion things so will vary greatly by the person and there are no right or wrong opinions here. With that said, for the life of me I can't imagine sitting down and watching an entire MLB game even if my favorite team was playing, let alone two teams I don't care about. I haven't watched an entire MLB game since the Red Sox-Dodgers World Series. 

In terms of entertainment value, I would watch 6 random (non Celtics) NBA games in a row before I'd sit down and watch the Royals and the Orioles play a regular season MLB game. 

I also love the NFL, but even with the NFL come October unless teams I like are playing in the Sunday or Monday night games, I typically watch a few snaps here and there, but then move on to something else. I'm definitely watching if my teams are playing, for sure, but I'm not watching the Sunday night game in November if it's San Francisco vs. Arizona or something. 

With that said, I also don't sit down and watch entire NBA games unless it's the Celtics. So, it's not like I'm hunting the Hornet-Pelicans game on TNT either. But, I will watch for a bit much like the random Sunday night NFL game.

Then with college basketball, again I love college basketball, but you're telling me you enjoy watching Georgia Tech vs. Wake Forrest in January as both teams shoot 40% from the field and struggle to score 60 points? Like, what about that is entertaining? 

I remember earlier this season IU and the Celtics played at the same time. I chose to watch IU because as we can all agree with fewer games more rides on a singular college basketball game, and I knew when IU ended I would still get to watch half of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th of the Celtics game. 

I can't remember who either team was playing, but I just remember when I flipped to the Celtics just being stunned at how immensely better the game was. How immensely better the defense was, the passing, the shooting, the flow of the game, it was an incredibly more enjoyable viewing experience. The skill and game play was head shoulders better.

Don't get me wrong, I love IU and I love college basketball for the pageantry the school rivalries and all of that. And again this is all opinion, but I still will never understand how people think the college game (just speaking on the actual game play) is better when teams routinely struggle to score and struggle to even shoot a remotely respectable percentage. It's painful at times.  

See I am the opposite, I used to watch the NBA almost as much as I do College ball, but now I try and watch a game and lose interest in it by halftime. I don't think I have watched a full NBA game in a couple of seasons and to be honest have no interest in it anymore.

And far as college ball I watch every game I can. On Roku they have an app called Pluto that has the Stadium Channel and it would play west coast games on it at 10 or 11 pm and I will sit and watch every one of those, no matter what team it is lol.

NFL I watch every game I can and baseball I have never been a fan of so can't comment on it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We're about the same age, so I don't think it has anything to do with being over/under 40. I'm child of the 80's/90's as well. 

I love football, I'm a huge fan, but between the NFL going from Thursday through Monday and all of the college football games, I find football has been way too saturated. Again don't get me wrong, I'm watching football, but typically by Sunday afternoon I'm pretty bored with it unless my Eagles are playing (or Steelers which is my wife's team). 

Also again, you know I love college basketball, but the actual game play I find to be pretty terrible. I love watching IU and the pageantry, but I don't get what everyone loves about watching teams struggle to shoot 40% and score 60 points while mostly turning the ball over 15ish+ times. The actual product on the court I find to be pretty bad most nights. 

As far as the NBA and it's stars, I'm not sure when the NBA has had more likable stars? The stars of the last decade or two are all clean cut, never get in trouble, are highly skilled, etc., etc. You've never heard of LeBron throwing someone through a bar window (and I love Charles Barkley), you've never heard of Steph Curry having money or drug problems like many stars of the 80's. You might not like their politics, but these guys are building schools, donating millions of dollars, etc., etc. 

I think it is more the way the NBA has tried to market the players. I think Stern did a better job. Like I said....they were characters...almost like super heroes in a sense. Depending on your side you had a villian or a white knight. You had the anti-hero even if you liked the lovable bad guy like Barkley or the Nasty Boys. All these larger than life personalities....yet off the court you knew little to nothing about them. Past a McDonalds, Nike/Converse/Reebok commercial really didn't hear from these guys. Now the league caters to them. You hear their opinions every day on twitter, sports talk shows, crying in the media. There is no rivalry because the players just join up or force their way out. They sit out every other game...I just don't know. Maybe its like football for you. Except the NBA has oversaturated the media with their stars. I don't know. Hard to say. I totally get what your saying. Some absolutely great stuff with community outreach and some great stories out there too. Probably me changing as a person too...combined with the fact that the social narrative is so very very strong coming out of the league and I am finding more and more the values are conflicting with what I find important and thus subconciously I am having a hard time rooting or finding vested interest. Kind of like with Hollywood too. The more and more outspoken and more I find out about the stars the less and less I can watch their movies without having a reaction to just the actor and not the person they are protraying. It's like when I saw Tom Cruise jumping up and down on Opera's couch. No longer could I buy him as a bad @ss in Mission Impossible or any other movie lol. Of course add to the horrible writing and agenda pushing in modern tv and cinema and I guess it is harder and harder to ignore and just try to enjoy the product. So very well could be me changing that is the problem as well I will vouch for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

See I am the opposite, I used to watch the NBA almost as much as I do College ball, but now I try and watch a game and lose interest in it by halftime. I don't think I have watched a full NBA game in a couple of seasons and to be honest have no interest in it anymore.

And far as college ball I watch every game I can. On Roku they have an app called Pluto that has the Stadium Channel and it would play west coast games on it at 10 or 11 pm and I will sit and watch every one of those, no matter what team it is lol.

NFL I watch every game I can and baseball I have never been a fan of so can't comment on it.

Definitely an opinion/personal preference thing, and neither of us are right or wrong, it's just what we like and prefer. 

I know I sound like a broken record, but I just don't see what people love so much about watching a random college basketball game, outside of the pageantry of college sports which I enjoy as well. 

I don't see what is to like so much about watching Oregon State vs. Cal on a random Tuesday in January as both teams brick wide open shots, turn the ball over and struggle to score in the mid-60's. 

I watched the Celtics-Blazers on Sunday and the game was a thing of beauty (until the refs ruined it in the 4th with too many reviews). Both teams had over 70 in the first half and it wasn't because of bad or lazy defense, the level of shot-making, passing/ball movement, spacing and general offensive skill was off the charts by both teams. It was beautiful basketball. These guys were making incredible shots at a high rate. 

To be clear, I enjoy college basketball. I wouldn't have ten's of thousands of posts racked up on the various versions of HSN over the years if I didn't. I'm purely talking about the actual play on the court. But other than maybe the Final Four game between Gonzaga and UCLA, I can't remember the last time I watched a college basketball game and thought it was really well played. I don't mean close or exciting, I mean well played by both teams. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I think it is more the way the NBA has tried to market the players. I think Stern did a better job. Like I said....they were characters...almost like super heroes in a sense. Depending on your side you had a villian or a white knight. You had the anti-hero even if you liked the lovable bad guy like Barkley or the Nasty Boys. All these larger than life personalities....yet off the court you knew little to nothing about them. Past a McDonalds, Nike/Converse/Reebok commercial really didn't hear from these guys. Now the league caters to them. You hear their opinions every day on twitter, sports talk shows, crying in the media. There is no rivalry because the players just join up or force their way out. They sit out every other game...I just don't know. Maybe its like football for you. Except the NBA has oversaturated the media with their stars. I don't know. Hard to say. I totally get what your saying. Some absolutely great stuff with community outreach and some great stories out there too. Probably me changing as a person too...combined with the fact that the social narrative is so very very strong coming out of the league and I am finding more and more the values are conflicting with what I find important and thus subconciously I am having a hard time rooting or finding vested interest. Kind of like with Hollywood too. The more and more outspoken and more I find out about the stars the less and less I can watch their movies without having a reaction to just the actor and not the person they are protraying. It's like when I saw Tom Cruise jumping up and down on Opera's couch. No longer could I buy him as a bad @ss in Mission Impossible or any other movie lol. Of course add to the horrible writing and agenda pushing in modern tv and cinema and I guess it is harder and harder to ignore and just try to enjoy the product. So very well could be me changing that is the problem as well I will vouch for that.

Has football not done the same thing though? It's all about the quarterback. Guys are constantly changing teams in the NFL as well. Player empowerment is catching up in the NBA as well. You hear players opinions all of the time as well, and a lot of that actually started in the NFL. 

I think you're first part about the larger than life stars, etc., etc., is more where your age factor comes into play. It's tough to compare things to how you felt about them when you were a kid. 

Again though, this is all opinion. I think a lot of it boils down as well to fans not liking players having power for some reason. It actually doesn't make a ton of sense, as most of us are employees not owners, so we should relate more to players, not owners. But for some reason fans don't like players having power and the NBA is a players league. 

This is probably why player empowerment and player voice has hurt the NBA more than the NFL. Many of the same things are going on in both sports, but in the NFL with the way contracts are still structured the owners still have a ton of power.  

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

Definitely an opinion/personal preference thing, and neither of us are right or wrong, it's just what we like and prefer. 

I know I sound like a broken record, but I just don't see what people love so much about watching a random college basketball game, outside of the pageantry of college sports which I enjoy as well. 

I don't see what is to like so much about watching Oregon State vs. Cal on a random Tuesday in January as both teams brick wide open shots, turn the ball over and struggle to score in the mid-60's. 

I watched the Celtics-Blazers on Sunday and the game was a thing of beauty (until the refs ruined it in the 4th with too many reviews). Both teams had over 70 in the first half and it wasn't because of bad or lazy defense, the level of shot-making, passing/ball movement, spacing and general offensive skill was off the charts by both teams. It was beautiful basketball. These guys were making incredible shots at a high rate. 

To be clear, I enjoy college basketball. I wouldn't have ten's of thousands of posts racked up on the various versions of HSN over the years if I didn't. I'm purely talking about the actual play on the court. But other than maybe the Final Four game between Gonzaga and UCLA, I can't remember the last time I watched a college basketball game and thought it was really well played. I don't mean close or exciting, I mean well played by both teams. 

Your totally fine! What appeals more to you is the execution and watching the highest level of performance. Heck, honestly I get the most enjoyment at a Friday night football/basketball game even when I don't know a single kid playing. Something speaks to me about the amateur sport. Maybe it's the smell of the gym, the cheers of the parents and cheerleaders, the hot cocoa/popcorn...the nastalgia of it...who knows but I can watch a game and love to pick out kids and say...hmm...that kid is something special. That girl has a great shot! That kid can sure make a beautiful cross and seeing them play their hearts out. Not sure if it's the money or what...and don't get me wrong...there are some ugly college basketball and I think the game could sure use some improvement but I appreciate how the game is played...and not even so much the LEVEL of play in the game. But to each their own....and I totally understand why you love it. It's like Soccer for me. I love Premier/La Liga soccer. The ability and skill that those guys possess. It's a thing of beauty to behold....and then try to watch MLS....HA!! That said to go and watch a nieces soccer match tops it all!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Has football not done the same thing though? It's all about the quarterback. Guys are constantly changing teams in the NFL as well. Player empowerment is catching up in the NBA as well. You hear players opinions all of the time as well, and a lot of that actually started in the NFL. 

I think you're first part about the larger than life stars, etc., etc., is more where your age factor comes into play. It's tough to compare things to how you felt about them when you were a kid. 

Again though, this is all opinion. I think a lot of it boils down as well to fans not liking players having power for some reason. It actually doesn't make a ton of sense, as most of us are employees not owners, so we should relate more to players, not owners. But for some reason fans don't like players having power and the NBA is a players league. 

This is probably why player empowerment and player voice has hurt the NBA more than the NFL. Many of the same things are going on in both sports, but in the NFL with the way contracts are still structured the owners still have a ton of power.  

Very good point! It's weird because fan's identify more with owners than the players. Because fan's have a vested interest in just one team as the owner does. They want what's best for THEIR team and not the player. Absolutely correct!! It isn't that way anywhere else in a capitalistic society....but fandom isn't always rational. The team will always trump the player in a fan's view. Because in a sense...being a fan makes you a stakeholder in the team...and you feel like it is YOUR team. So when a player leaves or forces out...you feel betrayed because you can't just change your team....so unless your owner has done something foolish you are going to take it out on the players....it is a weird scenerio but certainly plays a part. The NBA is certainly at the forefront with that. Especially since the field is leveled in NFL where free agents typically even out across the teams but the NBA a select few franchises tend to always benefit the most in free agency etc.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Very good point! It's weird because fan's identify more with owners than the players. Because fan's have a vested interest in just one team as the owner does. They want what's best for THEIR team and not the player. Absolutely correct!! It isn't that way anywhere else in a capitalistic society....but fandom isn't always rational. The team will always trump the player in a fan's view. Because in a sense...being a fan makes you a stakeholder in the team...and you feel like it is YOUR team. So when a player leaves or forces out...you feel betrayed because you can't just change your team....so unless your owner has done something foolish you are going to take it out on the players....it is a weird scenerio but certainly plays a part. The NBA is certainly at the forefront with that. Especially since the field is leveled in NFL where free agents typically even out across the teams but the NBA a select few franchises tend to always benefit the most in free agency etc.

Lots of really good insight and points there. It is weird how sports is the one place where we always back ownership and not the workers. With that said, you're right on it being mostly about the ownership/loyalty we feel as fans to the team and we want that reciprocated by our players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I will say this...the Nets/Bucks games the past few days were both pretty highly contested games. Problem lies in what happens not with the 2 or 3 games between playoff contenders but the other 10-12 games each night that involves a non contender. It's just not appealing even amongst people that would call themselves fans. Can you imagine being a season ticket holder for one of those teams? Or how could I justify paying for seats down low for my kid that wants to go see the local star and he sits out half the games because they want to tank? In the NFL sure you have bad teams etc...but you can't play football at half speed etc. Teams go from worst to playoffs from one season to the next. Silver is suppose to be a brilliant guy but they have to come to solution for this problem.

I hear you, but is that really different than any sport sans maybe the NFL? 

Have you watched a CBB game between two bad teams? It's brutal. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Here's a change of pace. Who does everyone have for MVP?

I'd say I was leaning Steph. Just what he was able to do to take the worst to playoffs. A team that struggles to throw the ball in the ocean. Think the Indiana Hoosiers offense of the NBA without him. A lot of good players but so many have missed so much time on the court that they get excluded. So I'd say these would be mine...

1 Curry 2 Jokic 3 Giannis 4 C Paul  Those guys gotta all be in consideration. Hard to argue with any of them. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I hear you, but is that really different than any sport sans maybe the NFL? 

Have you watched a CBB game between two bad teams? It's brutal. 

Even in college the effort level always feels there....unless it's IU vs Purdue and Bob Knight is making his return....wtf was that performance!

NBA sometimes it feels like teams are actually trying to lose. I saw a guy go out and score a double double in the first quarter and then sit the rest of the game.....I mean whatever there is never a scenario like that in college.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I would rather watch Belmont vs Murray St over any NBA game.  I will watch the Refs in baseball and will watch most NFL games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

NBA basketball is just boring to me anymore, watching the ball being passed around the perimeter so someone can take a 25 foot 3 point shot just doesn't interest me. I like watching a big man post up and dominate the game or someone cutting to the basket for a monster slam or a team being able to lock down another team on defense and taking the fight out of them. I think Utah is averaging 43 three point attempts per game which leads the league, and the Spurs are at like 28 which is the lowest but still really high. That just isn't basketball I enjoy. 

Like you said it is all personal preference, different strokes for different folks lol. 👍 😀

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

Just casually jump in and out of this thread because I'm not a diehard NBA guy.

Steph is MVP.

Pacers have never been committed to winning with the exception of a few runs here and there over my 25 years of following them. Never got over the hump and it seems like this recent stuff has been building for several weeks.

Hopefully they figure it out but my guess is Pacers will be looking for a new coach and some others in a month. Maybe it's time for Mark Jackson to get his 2nd chance since his Golden St stuff 7-8 years ago. 

• Like 1