Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have never seen a team hit by injuries like the Pacers this year.  Out tonight was Turner, Sabonis, Warren, Lamb, Goga.  Tonight Brogdon went out of the game and now Sampson looked like he was knocked out.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brogdon nailed the welcome press conference this morning.  Wants to make everyone around him better, Brogdon mentioned how he wanted to play for the Indiana Pacers, wanted to play for Nate, wants to m

Here's where we need Allen Iverson talking...just replace "practice" with "popcorn".

Posted Images

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I have never seen a team hit by injuries like the Pacers this year.  Out tonight was Turner, Sabonis, Warren, Lamb, Goga.  Tonight Brogdon went out of the game and now Sampson looked like he was knocked out.

It's crazy but it might be for the best moving forward if they miss the playoffs and end up with a lottery pick. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pacers is up at half against OKC 82-46.  Sabonis at the half has 22, 11, 11.  OKC had to be one of the worst NBA team I have ever seen

They’ve benched their starters like a month ago. That is what tanking looks like. Got guys on IL that are healthy. I’ve seen them get off to good starts and then bench guys that got hot. Nba has its advantages over college basketball....but between the nights off and the tanking...shoot you never see that in college. It’s why I love amateurism. Nba is starting to corrupt college with kids sitting out but for the most part...kids play their heart out for 30 games 40 mins if asked. No comparison in effort.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pacers wine 152-95 and that is a Pacers record for points in a game.  It was a bad 4th quarter with them only 25 points after scoring 40+ points in the first 3 quarters.  They had the lead up to 67 points and the product OKC put on the court is an embarrassment.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Dakich is destroying the NBA today.  He's absolutely right.  The league is an absolute joke.

The level and skill of play is off the charts compared to college....there is no doubt. It isn't even close. That said the product that is put on the floor is horrendous most nights. We all know there are legit injuries and then there is the rest days...and then the tanking. By the all star break maybe only a 1/3 of the games the rest of the way are even contested. The tanking...the not playing...it's a joke. It isn't the game even so much that is a turnoff because like I said...you watch the playoffs and you get high level competition. It's just the players attitudes and the teams attitudes towards the regular season not mattering and then the agendas...well we won't go there but it's just hard to be a fan of. I know that college basketball has a lot of issues but one issue they haven't had is competition. These kids fight it out every game! Yes for the most part the coaches are the stars so there isn't the player issues but these kids are playing hard for something. Sometimes it's their life goals and sometimes its their team goals but they care...and it shows and honestly its refreshing. 

I know NBA games get higher tv ratings but I think a lot of that is because the teams are all in major tv markets and most fans overlap as team and individual player fans. There are only a few nba teams where college fans only identify with their school of choice and there are hundreds of them...so the fan base is more split up. You look at the nba finals vs final four and the numbers are very very similar in viewership. You look at march madness vs nba playoffs and you see college basketball with greater viewing. College basketball's product is going down for sure but the loyalty seems to remain while the nba's popularity is more closely tied to it's stars..and if they continue down this unpopular path of not playing and sitting out...it's going to hurt itself in the long run.

 

In my opinion the NBA should use the relegation system that say the Premier League soccer uses. If you lose too much you get relegated and if you win you get promoted. Something has to change to incentivize teams to try to win every game. This crap that is going on now is doggy doo doo.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Dakich is destroying the NBA today.  He's absolutely right.  The league is an absolute joke.

 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

The level and skill of play is off the charts compared to college....there is no doubt. It isn't even close. That said the product that is put on the floor is horrendous most nights. We all know there are legit injuries and then there is the rest days...and then the tanking. By the all star break maybe only a 1/3 of the games the rest of the way are even contested. The tanking...the not playing...it's a joke. It isn't the game even so much that is a turnoff because like I said...you watch the playoffs and you get high level competition. It's just the players attitudes and the teams attitudes towards the regular season not mattering and then the agendas...well we won't go there but it's just hard to be a fan of. I know that college basketball has a lot of issues but one issue they haven't had is competition. These kids fight it out every game! Yes for the most part the coaches are the stars so there isn't the player issues but these kids are playing hard for something. Sometimes it's their life goals and sometimes its their team goals but they care...and it shows and honestly its refreshing. 

I know NBA games get higher tv ratings but I think a lot of that is because the teams are all in major tv markets and most fans overlap as team and individual player fans. There are only a few nba teams where college fans only identify with their school of choice and there are hundreds of them...so the fan base is more split up. You look at the nba finals vs final four and the numbers are very very similar in viewership. You look at march madness vs nba playoffs and you see college basketball with greater viewing. College basketball's product is going down for sure but the loyalty seems to remain while the nba's popularity is more closely tied to it's stars..and if they continue down this unpopular path of not playing and sitting out...it's going to hurt itself in the long run.

 

In my opinion the NBA should use the relegation system that say the Premier League soccer uses. If you lose too much you get relegated and if you win you get promoted. Something has to change to incentivize teams to try to win every game. This crap that is going on now is doggy doo doo.

I am curious how man NBA games you two have watched in the past month? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

 

I am curious how man NBA games you two have watched in the past month? 

Whole games...or turned it on and watched maybe a quarter?   Probably watched 2 games tip to close....and probably given up on like 8-9 other games after they became unwatchable. Don't get me wrong. If there was anything else on I wouldn't have even bothered though. I'm not your avg nba fan though. I haven't been to a game in like 6-7 years (usually would catch 2-3 Pacer games a year). Did use to watch both doubleheader games on TNT/TBS back then. Last 5 years it's mostly just playoffs.

Edited by dgambill
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rico said:

I don’t like the play in either. The issue isn’t teams 8-10 not playing hard it’s teams 12-15 in each conference not playing hard and those games against each other are awful and then the games against the playoff caliber teams are like 40 pt losses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rico said:

Who are the key players?? Everyone on that team has been or could be linked in a trade. The closest thing to a star on that team is Sabonis and even he isn't what I would call an untouchable star. Pacers aren't like other organizations where they will fire their coach over a player. They will just move the player. I just don't see anyone on that team garnering enough clout that they can move the coach. Wasn't this also the same thing they said last year about Nate? That he didn't communicate with his locker room? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Who are the key players?? Everyone on that team has been or could be linked in a trade. The closest thing to a star on that team is Sabonis and even he isn't what I would call an untouchable star. Pacers aren't like other organizations where they will fire their coach over a player. They will just move the player. I just don't see anyone on that team garnering enough clout that they can move the coach. Wasn't this also the same thing they said last year about Nate? That he didn't communicate with his locker room? 

Brad Stevens to Indiana?  LOL

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If IU couldn't afford him then I doubt the Pacers can. lol But it would be funny!

IU could afford him. He just didn´t want the job. He´d have to be fired for the Pacers to hire him which I don´t think is going to happen. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

IU could afford him. He just didn´t want the job. He´d have to be fired for the Pacers to hire him which I don´t think is going to happen. 

Agreed. They'd have to really stumble down the stretch and miss the playoffs...even then Ainge would bring him back. But loyalties change quickly in the NBA. I'm sure if he falls out of favor with Tatum and Brown or something the Celtics would make a move in a heart beat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say this...the Nets/Bucks games the past few days were both pretty highly contested games. Problem lies in what happens not with the 2 or 3 games between playoff contenders but the other 10-12 games each night that involves a non contender. It's just not appealing even amongst people that would call themselves fans. Can you imagine being a season ticket holder for one of those teams? Or how could I justify paying for seats down low for my kid that wants to go see the local star and he sits out half the games because they want to tank? In the NFL sure you have bad teams etc...but you can't play football at half speed etc. Teams go from worst to playoffs from one season to the next. Silver is suppose to be a brilliant guy but they have to come to solution for this problem.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I will say this...the Nets/Bucks games the past few days were both pretty highly contested games. Problem lies in what happens not with the 2 or 3 games between playoff contenders but the other 10-12 games each night that involves a non contender. It's just not appealing even amongst people that would call themselves fans. Can you imagine being a season ticket holder for one of those teams? Or how could I justify paying for seats down low for my kid that wants to go see the local star and he sits out half the games because they want to tank? In the NFL sure you have bad teams etc...but you can't play football at half speed etc. Teams go from worst to playoffs from one season to the next. Silver is suppose to be a brilliant guy but they have to come to solution for this problem.

I have said it many times...I don't follow the NBA very closely.  I love the product when I watch, but it doesn't seem to garner my absolute attention.  Big Colts and Bears fan when it comes to the NFL.  But yet I can watch any NFL game and feel entertainment satisfied.  I am the same way with MLB.  The Reds are my team followed closely by the Cubs, but yet I can watch any teams play and feel entertainment satisfied.  I will also say I enjoy CBB and CFB and feel satisfied.  Why is it when it comes to the NBA I don't have the same feelings?  The only answer I can come up with is parody.  The NBA is the league that doesn't have much of it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rico said:

I have said it many times...I don't follow the NBA very closely.  I love the product when I watch, but it doesn't seem to garner my absolute attention.  Big Colts and Bears fan when it comes to the NFL.  But yet I can watch any NFL game and feel entertainment satisfied.  I am the same way with MLB.  The Reds are my team followed closely by the Cubs, but yet I can watch any teams play and feel entertainment satisfied.  I will also say I enjoy CBB and CFB and feel satisfied.  Why is it when it comes to the NBA I don't have the same feelings?  The only answer I can come up with is parody.  The NBA is the league that doesn't have much of it.

I think a lot has to do with that. I'd sadly say that also NBA players (specifically stars) are just not as likable as they once were. You used to have all these characters MJ/Larry/Magic/Barkley/Shaq etc etc that had these on court personalities but for whatever reason were accepted and loved by the fans. Between the crying and complaining to officials and getting to know players feelings on everything from politics to social issues it creates a wedge between players and fans now days it seems. Add sitting out because my big toe hurts every back to back and I think your are seeing some resentment rub off.

You look at the NFL and by and large is different. First off with helmets and pads etc many players aren't as recognizable as say their NBA counterpart but typically there is only 1 face of the organization (qb) and that person usually because he is representing a team is more conservative in their voicing their opinions. I definitely think the current culture in America has made things an issue that a couple decades ago wasn't but there is also just so much else to view now days. I can sit back and watch 8 hours of hunting shows, cooking shows, a season of Alone, everything anyone could want to watch about WWII, and so much more. If it just doesn't interest me I no longer care to stay tuned in. So much more competing for our viewing. Which kinda goes back to the NBA needing to correct their product. The playoffs are mostly fantastic and intriguing past the first round....but once you get past December...the regular season is a box of chocolates....and way way way too many toffee/hazelnut ones in the box lol (insert your least favorite).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, rico said:

I have said it many times...I don't follow the NBA very closely.  I love the product when I watch, but it doesn't seem to garner my absolute attention.  Big Colts and Bears fan when it comes to the NFL.  But yet I can watch any NFL game and feel entertainment satisfied.  I am the same way with MLB.  The Reds are my team followed closely by the Cubs, but yet I can watch any teams play and feel entertainment satisfied.  I will also say I enjoy CBB and CFB and feel satisfied.  Why is it when it comes to the NBA I don't have the same feelings?  The only answer I can come up with is parody.  The NBA is the league that doesn't have much of it.

I was going to stay out of the discussion the last couple days in this thread because the topic has been beaten to death, but the site is so slow recently so I might as well jump in. 

First, these are all opinion things so will vary greatly by the person and there are no right or wrong opinions here. With that said, for the life of me I can't imagine sitting down and watching an entire MLB game even if my favorite team was playing, let alone two teams I don't care about. I haven't watched an entire MLB game since the Red Sox-Dodgers World Series. 

In terms of entertainment value, I would watch 6 random (non Celtics) NBA games in a row before I'd sit down and watch the Royals and the Orioles play a regular season MLB game. 

I also love the NFL, but even with the NFL come October unless teams I like are playing in the Sunday or Monday night games, I typically watch a few snaps here and there, but then move on to something else. I'm definitely watching if my teams are playing, for sure, but I'm not watching the Sunday night game in November if it's San Francisco vs. Arizona or something. 

With that said, I also don't sit down and watch entire NBA games unless it's the Celtics. So, it's not like I'm hunting the Hornet-Pelicans game on TNT either. But, I will watch for a bit much like the random Sunday night NFL game.

Then with college basketball, again I love college basketball, but you're telling me you enjoy watching Georgia Tech vs. Wake Forrest in January as both teams shoot 40% from the field and struggle to score 60 points? Like, what about that is entertaining? 

I remember earlier this season IU and the Celtics played at the same time. I chose to watch IU because as we can all agree with fewer games more rides on a singular college basketball game, and I knew when IU ended I would still get to watch half of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th of the Celtics game. 

I can't remember who either team was playing, but I just remember when I flipped to the Celtics just being stunned at how immensely better the game was. How immensely better the defense was, the passing, the shooting, the flow of the game, it was an incredibly more enjoyable viewing experience. The skill and game play was head shoulders better.

Don't get me wrong, I love IU and I love college basketball for the pageantry the school rivalries and all of that. And again this is all opinion, but I still will never understand how people think the college game (just speaking on the actual game play) is better when teams routinely struggle to score and struggle to even shoot a remotely respectable percentage. It's painful at times.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I was going to stay out of the discussion the last couple days in this thread because the topic has been beaten to death, but the site is so slow recently so I might as well jump in. 

First, these are all opinion things so will vary greatly by the person and there are no right or wrong opinions here. With that said, for the life of me I can't imagine sitting down and watching an entire MLB game even if my favorite team was playing, let alone two teams I don't care about. I haven't watched an entire MLB game since the Red Sox-Dodgers World Series. 

In terms of entertainment value, I would watch 6 random (non Celtics) NBA games in a row before I'd sit down and watch the Royals and the Orioles play a regular season MLB game. 

I also love the NFL, but even with the NFL come October unless teams I like are playing in the Sunday or Monday night games, I typically watch a few snaps here and there, but then move on to something else. I'm definitely watching if my teams are playing, for sure, but I'm not watching the Sunday night game in November if it's San Francisco vs. Arizona or something. 

With that said, I also don't sit down and watch entire NBA games unless it's the Celtics. So, it's not like I'm hunting the Hornet-Pelicans game on TNT either. But, I will watch for a bit much like the random Sunday night NFL game.

Then with college basketball, again I love college basketball, but you're telling me you enjoy watching Georgia Tech vs. Wake Forrest in January as both teams shoot 40% from the field and struggle to score 60 points? Like, what about that is entertaining? 

I remember earlier this season IU and the Celtics played at the same time. I chose to watch IU because as we can all agree with fewer games more rides on a singular college basketball game, and I knew when IU ended I would still get to watch half of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th of the Celtics game. 

I can't remember who either team was playing, but I just remember when I flipped to the Celtics just being stunned at how immensely better the game was. How immensely better the defense was, the passing, the shooting, the flow of the game, it was an incredibly more enjoyable viewing experience. The skill and game play was head shoulders better.

Don't get me wrong, I love IU and I love college basketball for the pageantry the school rivalries and all of that. And again this is all opinion, but I still will never understand how people think the college game (just speaking on the actual game play) is better when teams routinely struggle to score and struggle to even shoot a remotely respectable percentage. It's painful at times.  

Ummmm...you are biased.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...