2019 NBA Draft

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

Just saw this mock draft and it has Romeo going 23rd to Utah but I can't see him falling that far. If he falls that far he might have of well stayed at IU for another year because he could really improved his draft stock with a great sophomore year.

Romeo is going to make the all NBA rookie team, whether he goes 9th or 29th.  

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I thought it was all about the money and there is a lot of difference being picked 23rd compared to 8th

It’s about getting 4 years in so you can get to that second contract where the big money is. Every year you remain in college the big payday is delayed and the less years of NBA earning you have.

Too bad the ncaa didn't have the guts to enact this immediately.   Nothing to do with Romeo but more the 70 odd guys that won't get drafted.  Talk about holding onto a scholarship or 2 until after draft day.  I would think there are a handful of guys looking for greener pastures that can grad transfer.  

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/08/08/ncaa-college-basketball-reforms-undrafted-players-return-agent-rules

On 6/13/2019 at 7:17 PM, Inequality said:

I am completely lost as to why Garland is predicted to go 4th in a couple mock scenarios. Blind leading the blind here or what?

I don’t see NBA caliber potential in this kid even 5 years from now yet some of the “pro” scouts see him as a lottery pick? 

Whats you alls thoughts? I see him as an obvious bust NBA wise and see him setting sail over seas.

I think he will be an interesting one to watch on Thursday. Where he goes will show if these mock draft guys have good sources or not. Also, after the 1st 3 picks, this draft seems like a crapshoot of arguably equal/similar talent from 4-15 to 20ish.  

I'd take Coby White over him all day, but not sure if it is because I'm impressed with White, not that impressed with Garland, biased against Garland b/c of the IU fiasco, or a combination of all.

15 hours ago, dgambill said:

It’s about getting 4 years in so you can get to that second contract where the big money is. Every year you remain in college the big payday is delayed and the less years of NBA earning you have.

Except if you go too early and aren't ready to make it in the NBA and don't last 4 years to get to that contract!  

1 hour ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

Except if you go too early and aren't ready to make it in the NBA and don't last 4 years to get to that contract!  

Comparison:  James Young from Kentucky

James Young

• 6'6
  • Shooting Guard
  • High School Ranking #9
  • One and Done
  • Drafted 17th Overall (2014 Draft)
  • Avg 14.3 PPG in Freshman Year at Kentucky (With Julius Randle, Dakari Johnson, Marcus Lee, Andrew Harrison and Aaron Harrison)

Romeo Langford

• 6'6
  • Shooting Guard
  • High School Ranking #5 or #6 (Depending on Ranking Service)
  • One and Done
  • Draft Projection:  Lottery to 23rd Overall (2019 Draft)
  • Avg 16.5 PPG in Freshman Year at Indiana (With an injury plagued team and far fewer highly ranked players thank Kentucky above)
  • *Did have a reported ligament injury to his shooting hand 

James Young Career Salaries

• 2014-15        $1,674,480 (Celtics)
  • 2015-16        $1,749,840 (Celtics)
  • 2016-17        $1,825,200 (Celtics)
  • 2017-18        $ <$ Minimum (76ers)
  • 2018-19        Waived by Wisconsin Herd in G-League

IU EXAMPLE:

Noah Vonleh (HSR: #8, Drafted 9th OVR)

• 2014-15      $ 2,524,200
  • 2015-16      $ 2,637,720
  • 2016-17      $ 2,751,360
  • 2017-18      $ 3,505,233
  • 2018-19      $ 1,621,415

Now there are plenty of players who have made it and others like the example above. 

The point is, it's not a sure thing that the earlier you go to the NBA the more money you will make. 

What would have happened if James Young would have returned to school and progressed to be more NBA ready talent.  Could he still be in the league or poised to get a good raise instead of struggling to hang on in the G-League?  What about Noah Vonleh if he had stayed another year at IU?

1 hour ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

James Young

• 6'6
  • Shooting Guard
  • High School Ranking #9
  • One and Done
  • Avg 14.3 PPG in Freshman Year at Kentucky (With Julius Randle, Dakari Johnson, Marcus Lee, Andrew Harrison and Aaron Harrison)

Romeo Langford

• 6'6
  • Shooting Guard
  • One and Done
  • Avg 16.5 PPG in Freshman Year at Indiana (With an injury plagued team and far fewer highly ranked players thank Kentucky above)

IU EXAMPLE:

Now there are plenty of players who have made it and others like the example above. 

The point is, it's not a sure thing that the earlier you go to the NBA the more money you will make. 

What would have happened if James Young would have returned to school and progressed to be more NBA ready talent.  Could he still be in the league or poised to get a good raise instead of struggling to hang on in the G-League?  What about Noah Vonleh if he had stayed another year at IU?

There is no correlation that Young would progress better in college than in the NBA where you get paid to focus 100% of your time and energy and surrounded by the best coaches and strength people to get their money out of you. To me kid would likely flame out no matter what...at least he earned 5 million instead of nothing. They are betting on themselves...some bet wrong but it isn’t like they are walking away flat broke. 5-10 million is still a ton of money to pass up....some of these kids get drafted before people realize they are frauds...stick around college enough and they risk exposing their weaknesses.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

There is no correlation that Young would progress better in college than in the NBA where you get paid to focus 100% of your time and energy and surrounded by the best coaches and strength people to get their money out of you. To me kid would likely flame out no matter what...at least he earned 5 million instead of nothing. They are betting on themselves...some bet wrong but it isn’t like they are walking away flat broke. 5-10 million is still a ton of money to pass up....some of these kids get drafted before people realize they are frauds...stick around college enough and they risk exposing their weaknesses.

I hear what you are saying and I have nothing to back up my gut, but it just "feels" like some of these kids would have a better chance if they'd stick around a little longer at the college level.  Can't say for sure why I feel that way, but I do.  Hard to draw strong conclusions, but here's an old article about one & done players picked in the lottery.  Overall, I'd say it's at least questionable that they've met expectations.  Some have been great, but there are plenty that haven't done what you'd expect, at least from a casual fan standpoint.

https://theundefeated.com/features/all-the-nba-drafts-one-and-done-lottery-picks-a-scorecard/

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Not sure about anyone else, but from a mental/emotional/life developmental standpoint, my performance in a situation such as this would have been better at 21 than it would have at 19. My overall potential going in may have been no better or worse, but my potential to stick would have been better.

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Not sure about anyone else, but from a mental/emotional/life developmental standpoint, my performance in a situation such as this would have been better at 21 than it would have at 19. My overall potential going in may have been no better or worse, but my potential to stick would have been better.

Well said.....TY

28 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

This is a good point all around -- it's subject to the emotional / maturity level of the individual of course, but yeah. And some teams are better than others in assigning a veteran player to help a rookie / young kid adjust and learn the ropes. I know the Pacers at least used to be really good with that for example, whereas, for example, Sacto was horrible. 

I think the 'get the clock started' on the second contract is really overblown, especially after you get past the first 5-7 picks. Once you hit the late lottery guys are really just trying to stick in the league. Maybe it's a topic players just don't talk about for whatever reason, but I don't recall hearing a lot of guys say they came out because they want to get the clock started on their second contract a year earlier. I don't think a lot of these guys, at 19 years old, are thinking that far ahead. 

I'm sure agents run that line at them as a sales tactic to get them to declare, etc., but ultimately if you're drafted 23rd in the first round you're more worried about just becoming a competent NBA player than you are focusing on some second contract.  

57 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Totally agree that players at 19 are not mentally prepared for the NBA lifestyle and everything that comes with that. If you have been the man on your college team for 3 years then more than likely you will go in with more confidence in yourself than you would after one year.

5 hours ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

James Young

• 6'6
  • Shooting Guard
  • High School Ranking #9
  • One and Done

Romeo Langford

• 6'6
  • Shooting Guard
  • One and Done

IU EXAMPLE:

Good homework. I’d love to see the percent of first round draft picks that ever get a second contract. Or percent of lottery that ever do. We might be surprised. 

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Can't argue with that....some kids go to war at 18...some start their own business...and some end up going to jail or on drugs...true there is no one answer for all of them. Definitely can understand that too many don't handle the transition well....it's a grown man league with real real adult decisions....but I don't begrudge a kid of giving them the opportunity. Plenty of people throw their life away at a young age...no reason these kids shouldn't make 5-10 million while doing it. A lot of schools allow them to go back and finish their degree for free...or they can go over seas. But I certainly understand the mental aspect of what you are saying and can understand that. If I was an NBA team and I'm sure most do...I'd hire personal assistants for these young kids I draft early to show them the ropes and keep them in line with the everyday stuff....then let my staff teach them the game...too much invested not to.

43 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Totally agree that players at 19 are not mentally prepared for the NBA lifestyle and everything that comes with that. If you have been the man on your college team for 3 years then more than likely you will go in with more confidence in yourself than you would after one year.

Or you stick around school and make some dumb mistakes, tear an acl, or possibly end up off the team and undraftable or your stock diminishing.  If someone was willing to give you a lottery ticket for 5-10 million dollars tomorrow or said wait 3 more years and you can go double or nothing....what do you do?? Some kids can't afford not to take the money.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Or you stick around school and make some dumb mistakes and possibly end up off the team and undraftable.  If someone was willing to give you a lottery ticket for 5-10 million dollars tomorrow or said wait 3 more years and you can go double or nothing....what do you do?? Some kids can't afford not to take the money.

To me it comes down to what you want

1) To get drafted or

2) do you want to come into the league when you can contribute

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me it comes down to what you want

1) To get drafted or

2) do you want to come into the league when you can contribute

And I think you've seen it overwhelmingly be answered by everyone with the situation set before them in real life....if I'm a 1st rd pick I go....2nd rd it's about 50-50 go or stay...those are real people facing the situation...not hypothetical couch potatoes like you and me lol....who just want to see our beloved team win more games. These kids overwhelmingly go...and for the majority it's the right decision even if it doesn't work out to the best case scenario.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

And I think you've seen it overwhelmingly be answered by everyone with the situation set before them in real life....if I'm a 1st rd pick I go....2nd rd it's about 50-50 go or stay...those are real people facing the situation...not hypothetical couch potatoes like you and me lol....who just want to see our beloved team win more games. These kids overwhelmingly go...and for the majority it's the right decision even if it doesn't work out to the best case scenario.

Not me I wouldn't go until I used up my eligibility but I know I am different.  I don't want to leave to just sit n the end of the bench for two years and not really contribute at all or play in the G-League.  I grew up wanting to play college basketball at IU and never had any dream of playing in the NBA so if I had a chance to play college basketball I would play all 4 years.

At 18, unless Romeo is there (highly unlikely IMO), based on who's there according to ESPN's mock draft I'd rather the Pacers take a gamble on Luka Samanic or Darius Bazley than take Keldon Johnson. It would be nice if Nassir Little hadn't risen up the mock draft boards. I was hoping the Pacer's could take a flyer on him. 

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/26719722/nba-mock-draft-latest-intel-all-60-picks-2019

Hilarious, watching a mock NBA Draft on NBATV with Billy King and Andy Katz alternating picks and they picked Langford 25th to the Blazers!?!?

Billy King made the pick, then Katz’s explanation was that if Langford hadn’t hurt his hand he would not be going as late as they project him. That makes no sense to me? If you know his poor shooting was because of the injury and that if he hadn’t gotten injured he’d be a lottery pick, then shouldn’t NBA GM’s be smart enough to figure that out?

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Hilarious, watching a mock NBA Draft on NBATV with Billy King and Andy Katz alternating picks and they picked Langford 25th to the Blazers!?!?

Billy King made the pick, then Katz’s explanation was that if Langford hadn’t hurt his hand he would not be going as late as they project him. That makes no sense to me? If you know his poor shooting was because of the injury and that if he hadn’t gotten injured he’d be a lottery pick, then shouldn’t NBA GM’s be smart enough to figure that out?

He won’t go near that late. That’s just dumb. His measurables are off the charts...he has things he needs to work on but his potential is top 5 in this draft. If he makes it past 12 I’d be shocked. Also if he makes it past 12 I’d be ticked the Pacers don’t find a way to trade up and get him...not because he is an IU kid but simply he is the best wing in this draft....versatile kid that can easily develop his 3...but can score buckets with ease. I’d have no problem him coming off the bench as a 6th man this year and moving into starting next to Vic in a year.

Archived