The Indiana University vs Illinois Pre-Game Thread

milehiiu

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bird mascot is just something the student senate passed, doubt very much it actually happens.

As for the Illini, defense continues to carry the day. Running with a really short bench these days. Giorgi is in a bad, bad funk. Can't even make a layup, the only hoop he got against NW was when their player tipped in a shot at his own hoop. Giorgi was the closest Illini so he got credit! He's not a very good defender, so when he can't score it's really tough to play him much. After last season when he made just about everything, it's been painful to watch. Two other guys in the rotation are Kipper Nichols and DaMonte Williams. Neither one is a real threat to score. Williams plays good D, takes care of the ball so he's starting. Nichols was a promising kid who just lost all confidence in his game. He can give some minutes and usually plays decent defense but will also make some mind numbing decisions at times. The other 5 guys are really good, but if Illinois gets in any foul trouble....

EDIT: forgot to mention Frazier's in a pretty bad shooting slump, something around 20% in the past 5 games.

So it's pretty amazing to be tied for 2nd with the worst 3 point shooting and 2nd worst 2 point shooting team in the B1G. Illini have survived via "shot volume", i.e. getting lots of offensive rebounds and not turning the ball over much. That gives them more chances, and they need 'em.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kofi battling Jackson-Davis. IU has a chance here IMO because Illinois has seemed to play much better on the road than at home. This will probably be a game in the 50s, comes down to which team plays better in the last 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, rico said:

TBH, I have always thought the Illini mascot was one of the coolest in the country.  The "war path" dance and the drums beating with the crowd chanting was something special in my book.  

RIP to the Chief.  Was absolutely one of the best mascots in college sports, such a shame they got rid of him.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I think I heard this correctly. Of the last 10 games we've played Illinois we won 8 and the 2 we did lose were by a possession or OT? Guess i didn't realize how dominate we've been over the last 4-5 years vs them. Says plenty I guess.

Regarding game. Best news I have is it's our last true road game of season. Otherwise Illinois has shown at times they can shoot, has shown at times they put the ball down low (Kofi can get quick fouls), and they also have shown plenty of times to get beat by poor play. They seem to be trending up again so I'm not expecting much from our end....not because we aren't capable but you can't honestly expect us to flip it all of a sudden on the road. It's March tomorrow....heaven forbid our guys show any ROAD intelligence.

Indiana first met Illinois in 1906. There have been trends.

Indiana leads the series 93-87

My concern in this game is PU set a blueprint for Illinois.   They are aggressive and love to trap.  I imagine we will see a lot of immediate double teams as soon as we get the ball down low.

Our bigs will have to be strong and decisive with the ball.  Guards will have to knock down the open shots out of the double team.  Something we didn't do at PU.  

Still wonder who's going to guard Dosunmu...He's too tall for Rob, too strong for Al...

I'm hoping they put Justin on him and tell him to sag a little... Ayo is a less than 30% 3 point shooters, so back off of him a little...most dangerous on the dribble drive or pull up...

Feliz is a big, strong kid too...but he's another that struggles from deep and is infinitely more dangerous on the dribble drive...

And Trent Frazier is the wildcard...think a left handed Devonte Green...

And let me throw this in there...

I'd sure like to take this one today...the pressure of having to win both of the home games concerns me, especially with a Wisconsin team that seems to have found themselves and are a bad matchup for us anyway...

First game of March baby let’s go!!!!  Here’s where the rubber hits the road, gotta win to get in.  This is a big game, a win here would give us a ton of breathing room.  Not to mention family bragging rights for me since my parents are both U of I grads.  

Hopefully this one isn’t another blowout loss.  Can’t let them take TJD out of the game.

I am hoping for a better finish at the half. We seem to always go cold shooting and several unforced TO'S. We need to take care of the ball and TDJ needs to finish and cause foul trouble. IU-64 -59! GO IU!! TDJ earns Freshman of the Year today!!!

Archived