The Grilling & Smoking Thread

Have to bring this thread back to life, especially for Mile :) lol. Share pictures, recipes, equipment, etc. 

Probably one of my favorite things to grill is my take on a Black & Blue Burger. I try to use 80/20 meat, but normally I’m forced with 90/10 because of the wife. Anyway, instead of putting the blue cheese crumbles on top, I mix it in the meat with the bacon bits and seasoning. For seasoning, I really like the Chicago Steak seasoning. Gives the blue cheese and bacon a really nice balance. 

For smoking, I love doing pork loin and chicken quarter thighs. I like doing my own brines and rubs. I plan on doing a lot more smoking this summer, very excited. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

Jaybob, this summer I will be back in the Lou to compete in a Ribfest. I'll let you know the dates when it gets closer. You may want to show up. I've won 2 of the last 3 years. It's west suburbs.

I have no clue what the Lou is.  St. Louis is my guess.  And no idea what the ribest is either. But winning a ribfest in St.Louis is mighty impressive to me.  St. Louis style ribs... ummm.

• Like 1

Have to tell a story. So my physical address is in one small town and my PO Box is in another small town about 3 miles away. I've gotten to know people in both Post Offices, so most times no matter how something ships I still receive it. Amazon is the worst because you order 3 things on an order and they will ship 3 different ways.  Soooo I decided about a year ago as a result of the Grill Season thread Mile has already linked I decided to order a smoker. Since two engineers I used to work with went to work for MasterBuilt in Columbus GA, I decided to order a smoker from them. Unfortunately, that smoker is still stuck in some kind of Fed Ex purgatory!!! To this day I have never smoked anything! Already thinking about trying to order another one. Thanks Jaybob!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Justin. I know you have not been around for awhile. But. Check this thread out.  "specially for some of the equipment pics....Check out BBQ's equipment on page 6 of this thread.

Grill season - The Animal House - Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Loved the “family” of grills lol. Very nice. I did see Zline posted back then, is he still around? He was a good dude!

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Have to tell a story. So my physical address is in one small town and my PO Box is in another small town about 3 miles away. I've gotten to know people in both Post Offices, so most times no matter how something ships I still receive it. Amazon is the worst because you order 3 things on an order and they will ship 3 different ways.  Soooo I decided about a year ago as a result of the Grill Season thread Mile has already linked I decided to order a smoker. Since two engineers I used to work with went to work for MasterBuilt in Columbus GA, I decided to order a smoker from them. Unfortunately, that smoker is still stuck in some kind of Fed Ex purgatory!!! To this day I have never smoked anything! Already thinking about trying to order another one. Thanks Jaybob!

Go to Home Depot.  They have a bunch of great smokers. As for smokers. I have gotten rid of some. Still have two left. One of which is my water smoker. Which I use every Summer to smoke a Turkey on that is sold  for cheap at Thanksgiving time,  and freeze  till later.

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

You’re welcome, always glad to help fuel a healthy addiction :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Justin. I know you have not been around for awhile. But. Check this thread out.  "specially for some of the equipment pics....Check out BBQ's equipment on page 6 of this thread.

Grill season - The Animal House - Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Alot of good recipes in that thread too.  

14 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Have to bring this thread back to life, especially for Mile :) lol. Share pictures, recipes, equipment, etc. 

Probably one of my favorite things to grill is my take on a Black & Blue Burger. I try to use 80/20 meat, but normally I’m forced with 90/10 because of the wife. Anyway, instead of putting the blue cheese crumbles on top, I mix it in the meat with the bacon bits and seasoning. For seasoning, I really like the Chicago Steak seasoning. Gives the blue cheese and bacon a really nice balance. 

For smoking, I love doing pork loin and chicken quarter thighs. I like doing my own brines and rubs. I plan on doing a lot more smoking this summer, very excited. 

You use Weber brand Chicago Steak Seasoning? I use that often and it is tasty on burgers.

I grill more in the fall/football season than summer, but I do a fair amount in summer as well. Our favorite summer grilling is veggie sandwiches...we slice up peppers, mushrooms, zucchini/yellow squash and onions (sometimes eggplant) and grill it in a marinade. We buy fresh ciabattas from a local bakery and toast them on the grill with a fresh garlic/butter mix and add mozzarella cheese and despite no meat, they are freaking delicious. We eat that almost every week in summer/fall when we can get the fresh veggies from farmers market.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Go to Home Depot.  They have a bunch of great smokers. As for smokers. I have gotten rid of some. Still have two left. One of which is my water smoker. Which I use every Summer to smoke a Turkey on that is sold  for cheap at Thanksgiving time,  and freeze  till later.

We have a Weber genesis propane grill and weber charcoal grill, but would like to buy a smoker someday...which do you use/recommend?

14 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

We have a Weber genesis propane grill and weber charcoal grill, but would like to buy a smoker someday...which do you use/recommend?

I've got an old kettle type, and a four shelf up right.  Both use water and are charcoal. As for recommendation, I would rather leave that up to you.

One more thing.  You can smoke in your charcoal weber grill.  Charcoal of course. And use pre-soaked wood chips over the coals. Set an aluminum pan filled with water to one side.  Use the indirect method.... in other words, coals and wood to one side of the grill. Food on the side away from the coals. 

How To Set Up A Charcoal Grill For Smoking | Smoke Meat with your Weber Kettle 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I've got an old kettle type, and a four shelf up right.  Both use water and are charcoal. As for recommendation, I would rather leave that up to you.

One more thing.  You can smoke in your charcoal weber grill.  Charcoal of course. And use pre-soaked wood chips over the coals. Set an aluminum pan filled with water to one side.  Use the indirect method.... in other words, coals and wood to one side of the grill. Food on the side away from the coals. 

How To Set Up A Charcoal Grill For Smoking | Smoke Meat with your Weber Kettle 

I use indirect heat often of course, but I never tried putting a pan of water in the charcoal grill...I'll have to give it a go this year.

15 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I have no clue what the Lou is.  St. Louis is my guess.  And no idea what the ribest is either. But winning a ribfest in St.Louis is mighty impressive to me.  St. Louis style ribs... ummm.

Right on all accounts. Local St. Louis people sometimes call the city the Lou.  A Ribfest is a rib cook off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

You use Weber brand Chicago Steak Seasoning? I use that often and it is tasty on burgers.

I grill more in the fall/football season than summer, but I do a fair amount in summer as well. Our favorite summer grilling is veggie sandwiches...we slice up peppers, mushrooms, zucchini/yellow squash and onions (sometimes eggplant) and grill it in a marinade. We buy fresh ciabattas from a local bakery and toast them on the grill with a fresh garlic/butter mix and add mozzarella cheese and despite no meat, they are freaking delicious. We eat that almost every week in summer/fall when we can get the fresh veggies from farmers market.

It’s one of my favorite seasonings to use. My wife got this Greek seasoning one time, and it’s absolutely amazing to use on veggies. Can’t remember the name of it. 

• Like 1