Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

57 minutes ago, Reacher said:

@rico inspired me. Some flower pics from the yard20220604_110727.thumb.jpg.76f127034c104725cf1a2b8b9dc72cf9.jpg

Are these Hollyhocks? Don’t see those too much anymore. I have some on our terrace that didn’t bloom the first two years, but they were gorgeous last year. I know many vanities of them are biennials. 

Lots of beautiful flowers in your yard. @rico as well! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Are these Hollyhocks? Don’t see those too much anymore. I have some on our terrace that didn’t bloom the first two years, but they were gorgeous last year. I know many vanities of them are biennials. 

Lots of beautiful flowers in your yard. @rico as well! 

The boss says it's delphinium. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 10:07 AM, rico said:

"Knee high 4th of July"

knee high.jpg

My Dad's Sweet Corn just announced today that they are ready to rock and roll this week starting in Indy and surrounding area Farmer's Markets. We all have our favorites but their corn is as good as it gets.....by the way that field looks healthy!

On a completely unrelated topic. Anyone have experience in hibiscus plants? I think I killed ours and curious if the soil would be good to use again or just start new? The dormancy tricks they say for winter didn't take. Just was curious.

Apparently I have a case of the anthracnose....or whatever the black spots are on the bottom of tomatoes. Same exact plants.....several starting to turn but others that are still green have these spots. Do I just clip them off? Or is it just a product of uneven watering since we haven't had rain in Indy for a month?

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Apparently I have a case of the anthracnose....or whatever the black spots are on the bottom of tomatoes. Same exact plants.....several starting to turn but others that are still green have these spots. Do I just clip them off? Or is it just a product of uneven watering since we haven't had rain in Indy for a month?

It probably this

https://www.tomatobible.com/septoria-leaf-spot/

Start by pruning.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

@rico

do you and the FIL have a drone to do your spraying? This was a total OMG moment. I had to pull over and watch, so cool!

IMG_8674.MOV

That WAS very cool. I looked at prices and saw everything from $2K to $15K.

The really cool thing is you can pre-map the flight path. Put her in the air, and then wait for an RTB to change out the battery. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

That WAS very cool. I looked at prices and saw everything from $2K to $15K.

The really cool thing is you can pre-map the flight path. Put her in the air, and then wait for an RTB to change out the battery. 

There was a normal crop duster plane doing the next field over. I expected a tomahawk missile  to be fired at the drone but it never happened. I think dusters jobs are being eliminated. 
but it was awesome to have the opportunity to see this!

i would think, even at $15k that’s dirt cheap to replace a $150k ground sprayer or what ever dusters charge. And the farmer can just set at the barn, with a battery, a garden hose and drink beer!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

There was a normal crop duster plane doing the next field over. I expected a tomahawk missile  to be fired at the drone but it never happened. I think dusters jobs are being eliminated. 
but it was awesome to have the opportunity to see this!

i would think, even at $15k that’s dirt cheap to replace a $150k ground sprayer or what ever dusters charge. And the farmer can just set at the barn, with a battery, a garden hose and drink beer!

Here's supposedly the Mac daddy... DJI Agras T30... Amazing...Looks to be over $20K but like you said, it'd probably be worth every penny... 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Reacher said:

Looks beautiful.

We have been getting a lot of cucumbers this year but they have no taste. Not sure what we are doing wrong. 

Weird year for me so far. I've got zucchini the size of fire logs, cherry tomatoes out the yang.....my sweet banana peppers are hot and my serrano peppers are the hottest in my life.

PS...all my Goliath tomato plants decided this was the week they would all turn red at once. Went from none to 20 good one's after being away for a few days. 

That's why we love gardening. Every year is a mystery. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Weird year for me so far. I've got zucchini the size of fire logs, cherry tomatoes out the yang.....my sweet banana peppers are hot and my serrano peppers are the hottest in my life.

PS...all my Goliath tomato plants decided this was the week they would all turn red at once. Went from none to 20 good one's after being away for a few days. 

That's why we love gardening. Every year is a mystery. 

My jalapenos are doing great, as is our zucchini and cherry tomatoes. Like you mentioned, our larger tomatoes are just now turning red/orange. Our cucumbers and green peppers have not produced well this season thus far. We spoke with a lady who runs a farm stand and she said our area has been horrible for cucumbers this season (weather related).

For the first time we tried cantaloupe and watermelon, and some of those are getting closer to being ready to pick as well.

Our pumpkins are doing very well...some starting to orange already. The kids are excited.

• Like 4

I just read that you can freeze chili peppers. Simply put them in a baggie, put in freezer and should be good up to 4-6 months. Anyone ever do this? I've got so many coming in all at once I know they'll go to waste but 4 months from now in December to add to crockpot or chili? Just curious.