2021-2022 Season

Moving forward, this team is moving the right way.  Big time transfers coming in, another strong recruiting class and another year to learn and develop.  What do you think the offseason storylines are?

For me: 

1) What can Wellman and staff do.  Beleive it or not he was a big get and never could really work with the kids like he can post covid.  Many insiders will say he was an upgrade....and, those that left for Alabama were considered the best.

2) Personally never a big fan of Wommack.  He showed improvments from year one, but many questionable calls throughout the year.  IU did have a great D, but today showed that he can't "disguise" well with uptempo D's.  This hire for a new D Coordinator is going to be huge!  Huge!

3)Can Sheridan open up the playbook more after reflecting on year one and having a different off season?  He will have three 4 star QB's in the room.  

4) With the new transfer rules and eligibility- Who stays and who goes?

Go IU

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Moving forward, this team is moving the right way.  Big time transfers coming in, another strong recruiting class and another year to learn and develop.  What do you think the offseason storylines are?

For me: 

1) What can Wellman and staff do.  Beleive it or not he was a big get and never could really work with the kids like he can post covid.  Many insiders will say he was an upgrade....and, those that left for Alabama were considered the best.

2) Personally never a big fan of Wommack.  He showed improvments from year one, but many questionable calls throughout the year.  IU did have a great D, but today showed that he can't "disguise" well with uptempo D's.  This hire for a new D Coordinator is going to be huge!  Huge!

3)Can Sheridan open up the playbook more after reflecting on year one and having a different off season?  He will have three 4 star QB's in the room.  

4) With the new transfer rules and eligibility- Who stays and who goes?

Go IU

The only person that has declared to transfer is Rashawn Williams, other than that, I guess we have to wait 

1) It will be interesting to see what Wellman's focus is.  Injury prevention, speed/quickness, strength.  What kind of ideas he brings to the table and how he goes about getting everybody better.  I'm really excited about him having a full offseason to work with everyone.

2) I'm big on the Jason Jones bandwagon.  I thought our safety play was miles ahead of where it was last year, he's our highest paid defensive assistant which I think shows how much we wanted him to come here.  He's familiar with Allen's system, and he's had a year on the staff to get familiar with things.  Then we can hire a good LB coach to replace Wommack.

3) I think a big part of it is our offensive line.  Hiller is going to really have to earn his money the next couple years.  We have a lot of talent coming back, and with Carpenter coming in next year, we should start to push teams off the line.  Maybe not a team like OSU, but we should be able to run the ball better.  I feel like our offensive line should have been better than what it was this year.  With the talent we will have the next couple years, that needs to turn into a strength. I think Sheridan got lulled into having a passing offense because that was all we could do for the first 6 or 7 games of the year.  I was disappointed with his lack of creativity to help make up for the deficit of our offensive line.  The OL didn't help the play calling, and the play calling didn't help the OL.  For the most part, I don't think Sheridan really moved the needle one way or the other this year.  Overall, not great, not bad.  Today was exceptionally bad though.  No excuse for not running the ball more today with how well we were doing it and with Tuttle being hurt.  This was his first year calling plays, so hopefully he can improve going into next year.

4) Hopefully everybody enjoyed this season enough that we don't lose anybody who will really hurt.  Not sure what to expect from the seniors, but I would guess not many of them will be back.  I kind of cringed today when they said Crider was going to finish his masters this spring.  I was hoping he'd come back, but eventually you get to the point where it isn't worth it.  If you already have your masters, is it really worth coming back?  Otherwise, I'd love to see a couple more transfers come in that could contribute right away.  Another OL would be nice, a DL would be great.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

1) It will be interesting to see what Wellman's focus is.  Injury prevention, speed/quickness, strength.  What kind of ideas he brings to the table and how he goes about getting everybody better.  I'm really excited about him having a full offseason to work with everyone.

2) I'm big on the Jason Jones bandwagon.  I thought our safety play was miles ahead of where it was last year, he's our highest paid defensive assistant which I think shows how much we wanted him to come here.  He's familiar with Allen's system, and he's had a year on the staff to get familiar with things.  Then we can hire a good LB coach to replace Wommack.

3) I think a big part of it is our offensive line.  Hiller is going to really have to earn his money the next couple years.  We have a lot of talent coming back, and with Carpenter coming in next year, we should start to push teams off the line.  Maybe not a team like OSU, but we should be able to run the ball better.  I feel like our offensive line should have been better than what it was this year.  With the talent we will have the next couple years, that needs to turn into a strength. I think Sheridan got lulled into having a passing offense because that was all we could do for the first 6 or 7 games of the year.  I was disappointed with his lack of creativity to help make up for the deficit of our offensive line.  The OL didn't help the play calling, and the play calling didn't help the OL.  For the most part, I don't think Sheridan really moved the needle one way or the other this year.  Overall, not great, not bad.  Today was exceptionally bad though.  No excuse for not running the ball more today with how well we were doing it and with Tuttle being hurt.  This was his first year calling plays, so hopefully he can improve going into next year.

4) Hopefully everybody enjoyed this season enough that we don't lose anybody who will really hurt.  Not sure what to expect from the seniors, but I would guess not many of them will be back.  I kind of cringed today when they said Crider was going to finish his masters this spring.  I was hoping he'd come back, but eventually you get to the point where it isn't worth it.  If you already have your masters, is it really worth coming back?  Otherwise, I'd love to see a couple more transfers come in that could contribute right away.  Another OL would be nice, a DL would be great.

Totally agree!  There are rumors across Twitter that the new DC will be Wesley McGriff who is a dynamic recruiter and would be a huge get as well.

The creativity on offense is surprising.  All the top 4 teams display creativity, and we saw it today.  Why it isn't in the playbook is surprising.  We have the kids to it.  Heck, spend a day with in the offseason and pick coach Camerons brain.  

2 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Totally agree!  There are rumors across Twitter that the new DC will be Wesley McGriff who is a dynamic recruiter and would be a huge get as well.

The creativity on offense is surprising.  All the top 4 teams display creativity, and we saw it today.  Why it isn't in the playbook is surprising.  We have the kids to it.  Heck, spend a day with in the offseason and pick coach Camerons brain.  

I've seen that McGriff rumor, and I really hope it isn't true. I would like Mcgriff for his recruiting, but I don't like the fact that he's bounced around a lot, and his 2 year stint as DC at Ole Miss didn't turn out well at all before he was fired.  The Saints defense was terrible while he was there (not that it was all or even much to do with him since he was just a position coach), and now he's on an Auburn staff that just fired their head coach.  That's 7+ years in a row of being on mostly unsuccessful defenses or unsuccessful teams. I would be really disappointed if he's our new DC.

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I've seen that McGriff rumor, and I really hope it isn't true. I would like Mcgriff for his recruiting, but I don't like the fact that he's bounced around a lot, and his 2 year stint as DC at Ole Miss didn't turn out well at all before he was fired.  The Saints defense was terrible while he was there (not that it was all or even much to do with him since he was just a position coach), and now he's on an Auburn staff that just fired their head coach.  That's 7+ years in a row of being on mostly unsuccessful defenses or unsuccessful teams. I would be really disappointed if he's our new DC.

I heard the talks stalled, I would give Jason Jones a try or an nice outside hire with a talent 

my frontrunner for a new DC would be Nate Woody from Army, but that is my opinion

• Like 1

Just now, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I heard the talks stalled, I would give Jason Jones a try or an nice outside hire with a talent 

my frontrunner for a new DC would be Nate Woody from Army, but that is my opinion

Coach Allan had said whoever the new DC had to run the 4-2-5 defense like they already do.

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I’m guessing we should over the week on who returns or leaves in my opinion, seems like most player do that on different teams

It will be interesting.  If you can get a masters for free, why not take advantage if your body is able.

I do wonder what does it do for the talented underclassman who have a huge upside?  How will depth charts be created?  Going to be interesting.

Lots of interesting thoughts in this thread. In previous years I would just hope that IU could win enough games to get into a bowl game. Now, thankfully, the bar has been raised and I am excited to see if we can knock off the top tier teams in the Big Ten and how high the team will be ranked and if they can make a NY6 bowl game (which they should have had this season). I'm excited for the future of IU football...hoping for top tier bowl game, 3 straight bowl appearances, and to finally get that elusive bowl win since 91 so we can all stop hearing about that.

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I will be interested if they allow fans back next year how our attendance will be.  We all heard that if we start winning the fans will come.  We have had two really good years in a row so fans need to show up next year.

Been there for 22 years... will you?

I would love to see Hendershot come back strong. Along with that all our TEs generally making a bigger impact in the passing game.

Personally, while I will take as good as a bowl game as we can earn, I'd take a bowl win of about any level. We just need to get that monkey off our back.

Also, more consistent pass rush from front 4. Don't know how realistic that is given talent level, especially DEs. Is there still room for development? Is there an up and comer amongst the underclassmen?

Edited by D-BONE