Potential replacement coaches

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

So are many of the top coaches.  We have to fight fire with fire or we can continue to be awful for another 20 years.  

I'd make a huge push for Stevens and while it's not impossible he probably says no.  We're going to have to take a coach with question marks if we want to win unless we get lucky.

I think you’re completely right

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

So are many of the top coaches.  We have to fight fire with fire or we can continue to be awful for another 20 years.  

I'd make a huge push for Stevens and while it's not impossible he probably says no.  We're going to have to take a coach with question marks if we want to win unless we get lucky.

sadly i agree

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

If the stars aligned where Brad really did want out of Boston with them not doing well, and Dolson did everything he could to make sure he was our guy, I would literally cry tears of pure joy for days, haha. 

Everyone automatically assumes BS would be "the savior" and kill it at IU, but I'm not so sure (I'm more sure that I'll be ridiculed for this blasphemous notion). He only coached for 6 years at Butler and it was 8 years ago now. He took over a program that had 2 years of success under the previous coach that left for a bigger job. He coached in a mid-major conference. He had a future NBA All-Star on the team he took to a bank-shot away from a title. His 2nd NCAA champ game run was more impressive since GH was gone, but on the opposite side of the coin they are a ball bounce/call the other way from losing to Pitt in Rd2 (remember this crazy ending?

) and Florida in the E8 (went to OT), not to mention they got #11 seed VCU in the FF. 

He doesn't have experience in building a program at a Power5 school, is allegedly not fond of recruiting, and might be restricted by admin if rumors are true.

This isn't a pro-Miller or anti-Stevens post. Just food for thought.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Everyone automatically assumes BS would be "the savior" and kill it at IU, but I'm not so sure (I'm more sure that I'll be ridiculed for this blasphemous notion). He only coached for 6 years at Butler and it was 8 years ago now. He took over a program that had 2 years of success under the previous coach that left for a bigger job. He coached in a mid-major conference. He had a future NBA All-Star on the team he took to a bank-shot away from a title. His 2nd NCAA champ game run was more impressive since GH was gone, but on the opposite side of the coin they are a ball bounce/call the other way from losing to Pitt in Rd2 (remember this crazy ending?

) and Florida in the E8 (went to OT), not to mention they got #11 seed VCU in the FF. 

He doesn't have experience in building a program at a Power5 school, is allegedly not fond of recruiting, and might be restricted by admin if rumors are true.

i like you presenting another side and solid points.  obviously i'd love to see it, and feel pretty confident he would be great, but you never know.  we do build him up like the best coach ever.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Here’s how I look at it, coaches view things differently than fans or former players. Stevens grew up a huge IU fan, but then coached at Butler for a total of 12 years as an assistant or HC) While I don’t have deep connections, I live where he grew up and know enough to know that by all accounts he bleeds Butler blue now more than Hoosier crimson (or red or whatever it is now). He’ll never go back to Butler but I’m also not convinced even if he came back to college that IU would be the foregone conclusion. Coaches don’t think like fans or former players, which is also the one thing that makes me keep thinking about a former player for the role. They are the only people, IMO, who really “get it”. And don’t ask me to say which former player then, because I have no idea! 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, dgambill said:

I’m not here to argue for Pearl but his track record is much better than Archie’s. Div II national championship. Numerous coach of the year awards every stop he has been. 6 conference championships, 4 in a power 5 conference that included UK during UKs dominance. 11 seasons with 20 or more wins. 15-10 tournament record. A final four. All at what we would consider non basketball power house universities. He has his issues for sure...and this year is a rebuilding year but he has done what Archie hasn’t...take that step up from mid major and win. Guy can coach and guy can recruit. He isn’t a crazy option. I understand there are better but let’s not act like he would be worse than Archie. He has a better track record.

My personal top pick not named Srad Bevens. 😅

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

Here’s how I look at it, coaches view things differently than fans or former players. Stevens grew up a huge IU fan, but then coached at Butler for a total of 12 years as an assistant or HC) While I don’t have deep connections, I live where he grew up and know enough to know that by all accounts he bleeds Butler blue now more than Hoosier crimson (or red or whatever it is now). He’ll never go back to Butler but I’m also not convinced even if he came back to college that IU would be the foregone conclusion. Coaches don’t think like fans or former players, which is also the one thing that makes me keep thinking about a former player for the role. They are the only people, IMO, who really “get it”. And don’t ask me to say which former player then, because I have no idea! 

I can't remember who but I heard an interview that stayed they could see Stevens at the end of his career go back to Butler.  This guy said the same about how much he loves Butler and it is a place he would go back to after his NBA career ends.

1 hour ago, Zville Hoosier said:

Good points. Sadly, I don't think there is a perfect candidate for the job if it becomes available.

The ones that have shown they are capable of winning big at a  blueblood (K, Williams, Self, Cal, etc.) are too old, allegedly dirty, and/or would have no reason/interest in a lateral at best move.

The ones with a proven track record at a P5 school (Bennett, Wright, Drew, etc.) have won a title there (1st 2), have a connection to the area (Wright), have a possible dislike for IU (Bennett), and/or thought to be "scum/dirty" (Drew).

Few has a great regular season resume, but plays in a small conference and seems to have no desire to ever leave Zaga.

If we were to approach a coach and take the keep raising the $ until they say yes approach, I'd start with Jay Wright (even over Stevens, who for the record I would be thrilled with even the points made in previous posts).

Edited by cybergates
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I can't remember who but I heard an interview that stayed they could see Stevens at the end of his career go back to Butler.  This guy said the same about how much he loves Butler and it is a place he would go back to after his NBA career ends.

Yeah, I probably shouldn’t have said he’ll never go back to Butler because you’re right, I could see him riding off into the sunset there. My point was just that I don’t think people realize just how attached he is to Butler. 

3 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

Yeah, I probably shouldn’t have said he’ll never go back to Butler because you’re right, I could see him riding off into the sunset there. My point was just that I don’t think people realize just how attached he is to Butler. 

It might of have been Chris Holtmann that said it on a podcast

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Scott you've always swore that Brad has more family time in the NBA.  Not sure if that's true.

http://www.playerwives.com/nba/boston-celtics/brad-stevens-wife-tracy-stevens/

Brad Stevens & Family Away From the Court

Brad and Tracy have a son named Brady and a daughter named Kinsley who are still both very young. They’ve also got a puffy little doggie named Mac who functions as the family mascot. Brad Stevens’ wife Tracy used to love going on vacation with the fam in the college offseason. I say used to because the last documented vacation I know of that they went on was to Hawaii all the way back in 2012. Since becoming a professional NBA coach, these opportunities are harder to find.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

Scott you've always swore that Brad has more family time in the NBA.  Not sure if that's true.

http://www.playerwives.com/nba/boston-celtics/brad-stevens-wife-tracy-stevens/

Brad Stevens & Family Away From the Court

Brad and Tracy have a son named Brady and a daughter named Kinsley who are still both very young. They’ve also got a puffy little doggie named Mac who functions as the family mascot. Brad Stevens’ wife Tracy used to love going on vacation with the fam in the college offseason. I say used to because the last documented vacation I know of that they went on was to Hawaii all the way back in 2012. Since becoming a professional NBA coach, these opportunities are harder to find.

I guess what I heard was a lie then LOL!

2 hours ago, JugRox said:

So, he is putting his childhood fandom in front of his career.....i call BS....

What was stopping him from going from Butler to Indiana and then to UK? 

FYI, he went to college and was a assistant at Taylor (in Indiana) and was at Butler after that.

He has way more connections to Indiana than he does "being from Lexington"....

Or it could be a coach that knew the difference between admin at OSU and UK and what we have at IU...coaches aren’t scared of fans. They need passionate fans. They are scared of crappy bosses. I guarantee if he indeed turned it down...which I’m going to question he was even offered the job that was it. He certainly could say that given the expectations of any high profile power 5 job OSU is preferable to IU because his admin won’t tie his hands and then throw him to the wolves.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Indiana's biggest problem the last 8-9 years is that Zeller, Vonleh, Anunoby, Bryant, Langford, and (soon) Jackson-Davis haven't stayed to see their junior years.  Very hard to get any kind of sustainable traction for a program when you miss out on the big payoff years with your top talent.    If half those guys stay for a third year I think things at IU are trending more upward.  

Recruit top 50-100 guys not the one or two years and done.  Imagine where IU would be if Romeo was still here for his junior year?  Easily 4-5 more wins this year and last year. 

Let's look at Purdue.  Purdue has lost only one (Swanigan) in that time frame.  They would be struggling to make the tourney this year if Williams left to go pro last year, but Purdue doesn't have the 1-2 year and go pro players and this is mostly because they can't get them.   They have found the sweet spot of modern college basketball success.  

• Like 1

Well the natives in Boston are getting restless as the Celts have dipped below .500.  Don't believe that BS is the problem but one thing about the NBA is they don't care when it comes to firing coaches if they feel a change is needed for the sake of making a change and get a different voice to hear.  Also, doesn't sound like something Celts would do but never say never.  

20 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Well the natives in Boston are getting restless as the Celts have dipped below .500.  Don't believe that BS is the problem but one thing about the NBA is they don't care when it comes to firing coaches if they feel a change is needed for the sake of making a change and get a different voice to hear.  Also, doesn't sound like something Celts would do but never say never.  

The thing is when there are openings in the NBA the names you see are not impressive.  Will Boston think that Nate McMillian be better than what Stevens is.

2 hours ago, Zville Hoosier said:

While I don’t have deep connections, I live where he grew up and know enough to know that by all accounts he bleeds Butler blue now more than Hoosier crimson (or red or whatever it is now). He’ll never go back to Butler but I’m also not convinced even if he came back to college that IU would be the foregone conclusion. Coaches don’t think like fans or former players.

I have sources that some would consider fairly deep. This post isn't far off with one caveat. From what I've heard/who I've talked to, IU would be a foregone conclusion if the IU admin made the play and sold Stevens on the job and he was convinced the university/administration was behind him and also paid him accordingly. Again, I keep alluding to the fact the IU basketball/Alabama football comparison isn't that far off. Stevens won't go back to Butler. That's not even in the equation. There is no denying the deep affection Stevens has for Butler, but that has lot to do with what he accomplished, first opportunity to coach and all the stuff that goes on with it. 

"Coaches don't think like fans or former players" is telling. It's why Stevens is more in play than people realize. I still think it's a long shot, but it's more of a possibility than people usually give it credit for, but the fact that coaches don't think like fans/players is the very reason Stevens is in play even if a long shot.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, WanamakerIUFan said:

I have sources that some would consider fairly deep. This post isn't far off with one caveat. From what I've heard/who I've talked to, IU would be a foregone conclusion if the IU admin made the play and sold Stevens on the job and he was convinced the university/administration was behind him and also paid him accordingly. Again, I keep alluding to the fact the IU basketball/Alabama football comparison isn't that far off. Stevens won't go back to Butler. That's not even in the equation. There is no denying the deep affection Stevens has for Butler, but that has lot to do with what he accomplished, first opportunity to coach and all the stuff that goes on with it. 

"Coaches don't think like fans or former players" is telling. It's why Stevens is more in play than people realize. I still think it's a long shot, but it's more of a possibility than people usually give it credit for, but the fact that coaches don't think like fans/players is the very reason Stevens is in play even if a long shot.

Alabama wanted and was determined to get Alabama Football back.

I'm not convinced Indiana really wants Indiana Basketball back.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

Intriguing but at that point just go after Beilein who's one year younger, no?

Maybe, maybe not. Beilein has shown he takes a few years to get things going and I'm not sure he is as good of a coach as D'Antoni. D'Antoni you're running the risk of him not having the college background, but he has also coached guys like Harden, CP3, and Russell Westbrook. That resonates with high schoolers a lot more than anything Beilein has done IMO. 

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Maybe, maybe not. Beilein has shown he takes a few years to get things going and I'm not sure he is as good of a coach as D'Antoni. D'Antoni you're running the risk of him not having the college background, but he has also coached guys like Harden, CP3, and Russell Westbrook. That resonates with high schoolers a lot more than anything Beilein has done IMO. 

No thank you, hated watching the Rockets play