Jump to content

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

My mentor and high school basketball coach was given a chance by Baylor and coach Drew and now he is an assistant at UNF because of it... I can tell you based off of knowing coach Driscoll, who was Drew’s right hand man, and having some insight there is absolutely nothing dirty going on at Baylor. Coach Driscoll doesn’t even allow his staff or players to cuss PERIOD. Not on the court, the gym, in the locker room, nothing. My mentor and coach Driscoll speak very highly of Coach Drew.

Iirc the Drew family as a whole was strong in their faith.  I have a buddy whose brother is or was at one point on the Baylor bench and then on to Gonzaga.  The way he met Scott was through Athletes in Action, a faith based sports group.  Certainly not any sort of guarantee that he wasn't cheating or isn't a sleeze bag but I think IU fans really tried to rub dirt into his soul over the Perea rumor, which happened to be an assistant.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess I don't really know why people are freaking out. Dolson clearly stated that you wont hear from him again until they hire a coach. He doesn't owe us anything to be honest, so what are people ge

Why do people even say crap like this? What corroborated evidence do you have that we've been missing on so many coaches? What has been so embarrassing? That we haven't hired a new coach barely a week

Finally, someone said it.

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Baylor assistants and Drew threatened to get Hanner Perea kicked out of the U.S. if he didn't go to Baylor. Yes Coach Drew knew about it. And yes there is a lot, lot more to the story.

I think the point that others have already made is nearly all of the top college coaches are dirty in some respect if we really knew all the details.  Even Saint Coach K had Corey Maggette, Duhon's mom getting a cushy job from boosters, Zion got a house, etc.  Unless we some how luck into Stevens we're likely going to have to get in the mud if we want to win again.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Iirc the Drew family as a whole was strong in their faith.  I have a buddy whose brother is or was at one point on the Baylor bench and then on to Gonzaga.  The way he met Scott was through Athletes in Action, a faith based sports group.  Certainly not any sort of guarantee that he wasn't cheating or isn't a sleeze bag but I think IU fans really tried to rub dirt into his soul over the Perea rumor, which happened to be an assistant.  

I have a good friend that runs the Athletes in Action program

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean that's fine if you guys think he is some saint. I know what I know and it would make me no longer be a fan of IU Basketball if Scott Drew was our coach. The assistant took the heat for it all.

One of my friends was asked to house Perea before he enrolled at LaLu. The things Baylor did to try to get Hanner to Baylor was sickening.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Iirc the Drew family as a whole was strong in their faith.  I have a buddy whose brother is or was at one point on the Baylor bench and then on to Gonzaga.  The way he met Scott was through Athletes in Action, a faith based sports group.  Certainly not any sort of guarantee that he wasn't cheating or isn't a sleeze bag but I think IU fans really tried to rub dirt into his soul over the Perea rumor, which happened to be an assistant.  

I can definitely see that because Driscoll is very religious and I went to a Christian high school and my coach is very religious as well. I mean a high school basketball coach at a small Christian school walks into coach Driscoll office and Driscoll and drew decide to give him a chance. That alone is a lot of faith in someone who you have no connections to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I mean that's fine if you guys think he is some saint. I know what I know and it would make me no longer be a fan of IU Basketball if Scott Drew was our coach. The assistant took the heat for it all.

One of my friends was asked to house Perea before he enrolled at LaLu. The things Baylor did to try to get Hanner to Baylor was sickening.

And that's fine.  I totally respect that.  I just don't want to see people like you on here complaining in 4-5 years when we're still stuck with the next Crean or Miller because some weren't willing to take a chance with a Drew or Pearl.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I am going up with my friend to see Indiana Wesleyan women's team play in their conference tournament.  If I run into Tonnegal I will try to recruit him to IU.  I know he is really close to the Drew family and if I U would hire Scott maybe they bring him in ad an assistant.  What I have heard about Tonnegal is his main priority is his faith and that is why he is still at IWU.  If Drew is the same way he might be more comfortable at Baylor where faith is important.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

And that's fine.  I totally respect that.  I just don't want to see people like you on here complaining in 4-5 years when we're still stuck with the next Crean or Miller because some weren't willing to take a chance with a Drew or Pearl.

Youre worried about getting stuck with the next Crean or Miller? What about getting stuck with the next Sampson?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What if Dolson renegotiates the contract? Look, if CAM is here next year what kind of season would he need to have to retain his job.  A 10th seed in the tourney? Finishing 8th in the Big Ten?  I doubt this outcome would be good enough to get a 6th season.  In all honesty, does anyone think CAM believes that he could have the kind of job saving season next year, especially with the likelihood that TJD leaves.  CAM's tenure will likely be over next year, and his buyout drops dramatically. So, he suffers through another miserable season as a lame duck coach, get terminated, and gets bought out for less, or he takes the half now, doesn't suffer next year at IU, and move on to the next phase of his coaching career.  

If this is offered to CAM, and he takes it, than we know that he doesn't believe that things are fixable.  I would like to think that he would bet on himself, but unless he is truly confident that the program is very close to become legit, I doubt he can pass up on an quick and easy exit with money in his pocket.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

Youre worried about getting stuck with the next Crean or Miller? What about getting stuck with the next Sampson?

I'd take my chances with another Sampson.  If that been any other administration in charge of that the whole thing would've been swept under the rug.  

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'd take my chances with another Sampson.  If that been any other administration in charge of that the whole thing would've been swept under the rug.  

fair enough. I guess until i see the NCAA do something to some of these programs, how worried should we be? I mean LSU, Arizona, Kansas, UNC, Duke, Auburn....etc.etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'd take my chances with another Sampson.  If that been any other administration in charge of that the whole thing would've been swept under the rug.  

I’m glad IU did what they did but I agree most schools would’ve turned their heads and kept walking.  At least on the phone call part.  The drugs and failing grades and kissing class issues bothered me the most.  The phone calls were petty even though he had already skirted the exact line before at  his previous job.  Bottom line, in today’s college basketball if you aren’t working mostly in the “gray area” you aren’t winning.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m glad IU did what they did but I agree most schools would’ve turned their heads and kept walking.  At least on the phone call part.  The drugs and failing grades and kissing class issues bothered me the most.  The phone calls were petty even though he had already skirted the exact line before at  his previous job.  Bottom line, in today’s college basketball if you aren’t working mostly in the “gray area” you aren’t winning.

The worst thing about KS imo was the type of guys he brought in.  The administration certainly should've made him correct that part.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'd take my chances with another Sampson.  If that been any other administration in charge of that the whole thing would've been swept under the rug.  

My issue with Sampson is not the phone calls, it was the character of several of the kids he brought in.  Particularly the 2 from Chicago.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m glad IU did what they did but I agree most schools would’ve turned their heads and kept walking.  At least on the phone call part.  The drugs and failing grades and kissing class issues bothered me the most.  The phone calls were petty even though he had already skirted the exact line before at  his previous job.  Bottom line, in today’s college basketball if you aren’t working mostly in the “gray area” you aren’t winning.

I understand where you're coming from. I will say i do hate the "but everyone is doing it." It does seem that everyone is doing it. they are getting caught, and nothing is happening.

Barry Bonds does not hold the HR record lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Youre worried about getting stuck with the next Crean or Miller? What about getting stuck with the next Sampson?

I am at the point that the only words that matter are Win Games Now.

I don't want a coach that's eyeball deep in  the muck but I am perfectly OK with a coach that plays in the gray area. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I am at the point that the only words that matter are Win Games Now.

I don't want a coach that's eyeball deep in  the muck but I am perfectly OK with a coach that plays in the gray area. 

I guess it depends what you mean by the gray area.  If it is getting parents jobs or houses then no way I would want that.  I guess what the mob does is alright unless they get caught

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

My issue with Sampson is not the phone calls, it was the character of several of the kids he brought in.  Particularly the 2 from Chicago.

I’d much have rather have partiers/druggies who are tough and competitive than the soft nice guys we’ve had for the past 5 years.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

My issue with Sampson is not the phone calls, it was the character of several of the kids he brought in.  Particularly the 2 from Chicago.

I'm not sure he would've kept bringing those low character guys in long term.  I think he knew he only had one year of EJ and DJ and needed to strike while the iron was hot even if that meant adding some questionable pieces.  We had a real shot at the FF that season.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not going to argue the stories Zion is speaking about, they may well be true. 

But the only first hand knowledge I have on him, is that a friend of mine was on the staff of the Sweet 16 Valpo team. He said that all of the Drew's are salt of the Earth type of people. Would give you there shirt of their back. He recently showed me a letter of recommendation Homer wrote for him. He said he is closer to Scott than Bryce, but Scott still invites him to dinner now and again after 20 years. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm not sure he would've kept bringing those low character guys in long term.  I think he knew he only had one year of EJ and DJ and needed to strike while the iron was hot even if that meant adding some questionable pieces.  We had a real shot at the FF that season.

Exactly.  I think he would have done great things with good guys. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm not sure he would've kept bringing those low character guys in long term.  I think he knew he only had one year of EJ and DJ and needed to strike while the iron was hot even if that meant adding some questionable pieces.  We had a real shot at the FF that season.

The thing it wasn't just Ellis's and the big guy from Chicago.  It was also Holman and McGee who were freshman that had a lot of problems. Even Bassett had a lot of problems so if Sampson had stayed we would still have a bunch of knuckle heads.  I want to win as much as anyone but I want to have pride in the team and I had none for that team.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IU Scott said:

The thing it wasn't just Ellis's and the big guy from Chicago.  It was also Holman and McGee who were freshman that had a lot of problems. Even Bassett had a lot of problems so if Sampson had stayed we would still have a bunch of knuckle heads.  I want to win as much as anyone but I want to have pride in the team and I had none for that team.

I agree with that but don't think he would have had to do it after that 1st year. I might be wrong 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...