Spring practice

Here are a few things I'm looking for this spring.

• How will Tuttle look.  Being the main guy this spring with Penix out, that will be huge for his development.  He missed his first spring being sick, and last spring being cancelled.  Curious about Dexter Williams too.
  • What will the transfers bring?  I'm assuming Carpenter will start.  Matthews too, or at least getting a ton of snaps if he doesn't start.  Not sure about Anderson.  Maybe a starter?
  • There were a few guys last year who I thought might have a chance to contribute as freshman/sophomores but didn't really make it.  Damarjhe Lewis is one.  Robbins, Da'Shaun Brown (my guy!), Cam Williams, Feeney, Benson, what young WRs will step up.  Curious to see how a lot of those guys do this spring.
  • Who will be our punter this year?  I don't remember who, but I remember a walk on kicker we had last year looking pretty good in some videos.  Will Evans win the job, or will it be somebody else?  Whitehead was such a weapon for us.  Not a huge leg, but he was as good as it gets at pinning teams deep.  Can't have too big of a drop off there.
  • Like 2

Come on people, let's have a discussion on this. All we got left 😢

Anyway. What's the word been the last two years on Robbins and Cam Williams? I expected them to be day one contributors?

I'd guess Carpenter to start. I'm guessing we'll see a lot of snaps Matthews but I'm prepared to lower expectations (see question above), and based off Warren's tweet, it's clear that Anderson made a big first impression. It's safe to say our ends were our weak points on D last year, right? 

Edit: Meant to quote you @Leathernecks

Edited by BENDOVER
Meant to quote leathernecks

3 minutes ago, BENDOVER said:

Come on people, let's have a discussion on this. All we got left 😢

Anyway. What's the word been the last two years on Robbins and Cam Williams? I expected them to be day one contributors?

I'd guess Carpenter to start. I'm guessing we'll see a lot of snaps Matthews but I'm prepared to lower expectations (see question above), and based off Warren's tweet, it's clear that Anderson made a big first impression. It's safe to say our ends were our weak points on D last year, right? 

Edit: Meant to quote you @Leathernecks

I remember seeing something towards the end of last season that Robbins was starting to really improve. I agree though, I expected him and Williams to have contributed by now. Could just be that we have a lot better depth than we're used to, so high ranked kids might take a couple years to see the field much.

Can't imagine Williams getting time this year with the LBs we have back. Maybe next year he'll be able to.

I've seen Allen talk a lot recently about the bull position. It sounds like they've used it some in the past, but are looking to make it a full time thing. Basically just a DE/LB hybrid. Supposedly Bonhomme has really shined in the role.

Our DEs struggled last year getting a pass rush on their own, but they did a great job at filling holes and eating up blockers for our blitzes. With a more athletic end with the bull position, and Ball back who has always been great blitzing, hopefully we keep getting to the QB a lot. However, it would be nice to have a great DE who other teams had to double. 

For this upcoming season I’m really intrigued by our running back room. I am excited to see what james and Baldwin can do with more carries and our new rb coach. I’m also not as optimistic about this upcoming season as many others are. We should be a bowl team but I think there will be regression on the defensive side of the football and our schedule is very difficult. I also think the jury is still out on Sheridan calling plays. I was not very impressed last year. I think we had a couple really talented guys that made the offense look decent but the defense kept us in most of our games. The non-conference game against Cincy is huge and opening at Iowa will be very difficult. Win both of those and the sky is the limit. Also, I am hopeful Williams and Robbins get some playing time. Hopefully they will see the field for a bit against some of the weaker opponents. The battle for QB 2 will be really interesting with the kid from Indy coming in. I think the competition for QB2 is very important considering penix is injury prone. With all that being said, I love IU football and I can’t wait for the season to begin!

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Whoever does all the football media content is fantastic.  Seems like every day there's some new video, new recruiting picture, or something else cool they're putting out.  They should just send this to every recruit in the country.

Jesus, man...where’s the brick wall I’m supposed to run through?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DireBump said:

Dexter Williams tore his ACL. He was the 3rd string QB last season.

Damn, that's rough. Always kinda hoped we'd get a chance to see him play but now with this and McCulley coming in that might not happen.

On a side note, I wish the football page was more active. Been checking 247 frequently and it looks like there's a lot of activity going on in recruiting (lots of guys showing up as "warm" with IU recently).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BENDOVER said:

Damn, that's rough. Always kinda hoped we'd get a chance to see him play but now with this and McCulley coming in that might not happen.

On a side note, I wish the football page was more active. Been checking 247 frequently and it looks like there's a lot of activity going on in recruiting (lots of guys showing up as "warm" with IU recently).

I was looking forward to Williams getting a full spring. Came in early last year, and lost it to Covid. Now this. There were a few articles last year that he was being a great leader for being so young. I thought he could surprise people.

I think the football board will pick up once the basketball board dies down after the coaching search. I've been over there with my bag of popcorn the last few days. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 9:07 PM, BENDOVER said:

Any good names you’re hearing in particular?

On 3/22/2021 at 10:07 PM, BENDOVER said:

We're getting there with being more active. Slowly but surely. 

I think Williams could still have a wildcat package. 

6 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I’d love to hear more about spring practice...who is making the most improvement, who is making a push to start or play a lot that we don’t know about, how do the new guys look to be fitting in?

I wish I had more insight, but I've been really busy lately.  Haven't had a ton of time to look into how things have been going.  From the little I've seen, I haven't seen very many updates on individual players.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I wish I had more insight, but I've been really busy lately.  Haven't had a ton of time to look into how things have been going.  From the little I've seen, I haven't seen very many updates on individual players.

I'm assuming more stuff will come out after March Madness is over and we get a new basketball coach. Right now basketball is kind of dominating the headlines 😒

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 8:59 AM, BobSaccamanno said:

Any good names you’re hearing in particular?

As far as names who are “warm” on us? I just looked at the IU targets page on 247sports. Seems like there are a lot more now than there were at the beginning of the month. I know we picked up a crystal ball from Omar Cooper recently. 

I don’t think any of the 4 recruits in this pic were warm on us at the beginning of the month.

30DA7E5C-7435-4F55-8541-0A334BC42DB0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, BENDOVER said:

As far as names who are “warm” on us? I just looked at the IU targets page on 247sports. Seems like there are a lot more now than there were at the beginning of the month. I know we picked up a crystal ball from Omar Cooper recently. 

I don’t think any of the 4 recruits in this pic were warm on us at the beginning of the month.

Thanks. Those are some really good rankings.  

43 minutes ago, BENDOVER said:

I would love to grab some 4 star kids from Florida. Need to hit the state hard this year.