Jump to content

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Wait.. what isn't a winning formula? Movement, spacing, multiple threats from deep, effective ball screens?

You want two players that can't shoot outside of 5ft on the floor together and that's a recipe to win? What successful team rolls like that right?

No.  I said you need 3 really good guards. See Baylor.  As good as their bigs were, they were just good role players.  "Service men"

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I doubt many rivals are looking forward to battling this dude once Coach Woodson get his hands on him. Just wreaks of bada$$.  

Oh lord help us. @dbmhoosier is now our voice of reason.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

No.  I said you need 3 really good guards. See Baylor.  As good as their bigs were, they were just good role players.  "Service men"

Right. And that's exactly what I want. Guards are the name of the game man. You keep Franklin, get the Johnson kid.. plus Lander. Heckuva a start.

I'm confused exactly what you're arguing in reference to what I said earlier?

Edit: are you agreeing with me? lol sorry I'm confused.

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The level of optimism for next year is still an open question because we don’t know what our roster looks like.  If Franklin leaves, we will need another guy at that spot.  The kid from Florida can shoot.  

At point guard, we seem to be recruiting another guy.  Personally, I am very high on Lander.  But he has a long way to go in terms of upper body strength, shooting, calming down, etc.  I don’t think he was put in positions to succeed last year, and this year I think you will see him take a big step forward in terms of getting the ball and just going. I believe he will thrive in that role.  I don’t think we will see him with the ball up top in a turtle paced offense launching 24 foot set shots like it is 1952 anymore.  Having said all that, he’s a young player and I’m not sure we can just hand him point guard yet.  On defense, he lacks strength and needs to learn sound positioning and his assignments.  But he’s got the foot speed and decent length to be good at both ends.

Meanwhile, everyone knows our starting point guard really struggled.  To his credit, he hasn’t transferred to Bellarmine or someplace like that where he could calm down and be featured.  But I don’t think you’re comfortable with a starting player who shot 25% from three, dribbled the air out of the ball aimlessly, and would slow the ball up the court even if we were down ten and running out of time.  He can, however, give us depth, and a guy who can come in and defend if somebody on the other team is hurting us.  

That’s a long way of saying that if we don’t land a veteran point guard, that will be a big risk.  It might work, but after what we saw last year,  I don’t think we are in a position to close our eyes and hope it works out.  Matta and Woody know all this and hopefully we get another point guard in here.  At the end of the day, I want to see the final roster before I can judge my optimism level.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Myles Johnson

As a junior, the 6-11, 255-pounder is on track to graduate with honors in Electrical Engineering and wants to pursue grad programs in that field.

“I've thought about the idea of leaving but I'm still thinking about the possibility of staying here,” he said. “I've been accepted into Rutgers already so it's definitely an option. I've been here the whole time so it's always on the table. If I were to leave, the Pac-12 is by my house with good engineering schools, so those would be the top locations. I was looking at UCLA, Stanford, and USC, which are the top engineering schools in the PAC-12 that are around me and are competitive.”

Edited by labeck81
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, labeck81 said:

Re: Myles Johnson

As a junior, the 6-11, 255-pounder is on track to graduate with honors in Electrical Engineering and wants to pursue grad programs in that field.

“I've thought about the idea of leaving but I'm still thinking about the possibility of staying here,” he said. “I've been accepted into Rutgers already so it's definitely an option. I've been here the whole time so it's always on the table. If I were to leave, the Pac-12 is by my house with good engineering schools, so those would be the top locations. I was looking at UCLA, Stanford, and USC, which are the top engineering schools in the PAC-12 that are around me and are competitive.”

Good for him.  Electrical engineering and playing major college ball.   Very impressive.  I’m in a related field and all I can say is he will be in high demand by employers.  

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Right. And that's exactly what I want. Guards are the name of the game man. You keep Franklin, get the Johnson kid.. plus Lander. Heckuva a start.

I'm confused exactly what you're arguing in reference to what I said earlier?

Edit: are you agreeing with me? lol sorry I'm confused.

Yes.  I was agreeing the whole time.  3 good to great guards.  Good role playing bigs that have some offensive ability or are incredible defenders/rebounders.  

I struggle seeing a team compete for championships in this day and age with the bigs being the most important part of the offense.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yes.  I was agreeing the whole time.  3 good to great guards.  Good role playing bigs that have some offensive ability or are incredible defenders/rebounders.  

I struggle seeing a team compete for championships in this day and age with the bigs being the most important part of the offense.  

Precisely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Love it. Hope you are right. Man, he fills a glaring hole in our team.

Agreed. I think he sees that too. Kenya is big here. Unless something changes, people at IU seem to think he will be ours.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RoadToZion said:

Agreed. I think he sees that too. Kenya is big here. Unless something changes, people at IU seem to think he will be ours.

I think with all the Fife, returning players excitement, the shrewd move of keeping Coach Hunter may be overlooked. Glad he is on our side. Class act, great recruiter, good experienced coach. He just adds a sense of stability in all the moving parts.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Soon.

To IU.

So should we take that Franklin not coming back.  I would think Johnson would want to go to a place where he definitely would start.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...