Jump to content

Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, rico said:

Yes.  Peyton Manning has entered the portal after breaking his jaw...

Going to kill his commercial career.....pass....unless he can convince his nephew to come play at IU!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I doubt many rivals are looking forward to battling this dude once Coach Woodson get his hands on him. Just wreaks of bada$$.  

Oh lord help us. @dbmhoosier is now our voice of reason.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

anything interesting with the transfer portal?

Not much....kinda watching 3 guys in the portal/draft to see what they do as it effects the B1G.

Marcus Carr-Minn

Darryl Morsell-Maryland

Jacob Young-Rutgers

Prediction....Carr stays in the draft (G-league), Morsell returns to Maryland to work on his offense....and Young ends up somewhere else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not much....kinda watching 3 guys in the portal/draft to see what they do as it effects the B1G.

Marcus Carr-Minn

Darryl Morsell-Maryland

Jacob Young-Rutgers

Prediction....Carr stays in the draft (G-league), Morsell returns to Maryland to work on his offense....and Young ends up somewhere else.

Young already transferred to Oregon...

And Morsell is not only in the draft, he's in the portal too...

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a quick summary of transfers by grade. 
Nothing too crazy there, but I’d be interested to see what it is like looking at transfers involving mid majors, majors, and different conferences. 

F150EF82-66B7-4055-BA25-C1B6B6BEBEE7.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Young already transferred to Oregon...

And Morsell is not only in the draft, he's in the portal too...

Well....seems I'm already on track for my predictions lol!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

Here is a quick summary of transfers by grade. 
Nothing too crazy there, but I’d be interested to see what it is like looking at transfers involving mid majors, majors, and different conferences. 

F150EF82-66B7-4055-BA25-C1B6B6BEBEE7.jpeg

Makes sense...as guys go along they figure out that they are losing minutes to younger guys or it isn't working out at the school and move along. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Makes sense...as guys go along they figure out that they are losing minutes to younger guys or it isn't working out at the school and move along. 

the freshman number to me was a bit surprising. Goes to show that these recruits are being told anything and everything just to get them in the door on a leash. Only difference now, is they still are coming through the door, but the leash no longer exists with the free transfer. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a competitor at heart, so I agree with CMW about recruiting players with a similar outlook and makeup. The majority of the time I think this brings out the best in everyone (it is a competitive sport, after all), and the cream rises to the top.

I also have no issue with Coach Woodson's honesty about possibly recruiting "over" players on his roster; he should be able to fill out his team with the absolute best players available. That said, there is a flip side to that coin, and I'm ok with players wanting to transfer without limitations or restrictions.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2021 at 5:37 AM, NCHoosier32 said:

why do you say he only plays 7,8,9 guys?  i would think NBA guys would be thinking to play more guys and in a scripted sub pattern.  i hope you're right!

I wasnt thinking 82 games when i wrote that because if i watch the NBA at all its the playoffs when rotations get smaller and all the mins go to 8 or 9 guys. in a 30 game season i can see CMW using a playoff style rotation. I should have been more clear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Since the thread title has changed, what does everyone think about Guacamole?  

Kinda like James Hardin...

A little chunky, was popular in Texas, and has some game...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

A little what now?!?!

nba-fans-hilariously-react-to-fat-james-

Wonder why he is having hamstring issues.....maybe this offseason he misunderstood what his trainer was asking him to do and worked on this hammy instead....

 

glazed ham.jpg

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2021 at 10:31 AM, dgambill said:

Makes sense...as guys go along they figure out that they are losing minutes to younger guys or it isn't working out at the school and move along. 

Actually, the former redshirts account for almost all the variation from grade to grade.  I'm shocked how balanced it is if you don't consider them:  267, 289, 287, and 274 (freshman -> seniors). 

I would have expected less freshman and way less seniors to transfer.

Amongst the redshirts, it goes 77, 108, 174, and 169.  I would have expected a trend of increasing stability. Instead redshirted juniors and seniors were more than twice as likely to tranfer than a redshirted freshman. 

Edited by andy_puiu
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, andy_puiu said:

Actually, the former redshirts account for almost all the variation from grade to grade.  I'm shocked how balanced it is if you don't consider them:  267, 289, 287, and 274 (freshman -> seniors). 

I would have expected less freshman and way less seniors to transfer.

Amongst the redshirts, it goes 77, 108, 174, and 169.  I would have expected a trend of increasing stability. Instead redshirted juniors and seniors were more than twice as likely to tranfer than a redshirted freshman. 

Didn't take that into consideration. Perhaps redshirts were told just sit a year, work on your game, get stronger and then you will be ready to take on a bigger role. Then guess what happens...redshirt still isn't playing much at first so they leave...or still can't break into the starting lineup by junior or senior so they leave. I would say this. If a kid is asked to redshirt there is usually something very much missing in his game...or they get hurt and aren't the same. Redshirting may not truly fix the issue and it could just be we see a reach that never gets up to speed. Perhaps for redshirts it is they are more patient but as time goes along they realize they never really catch up. Or it seems redshirts are no longer being used as much on incoming freshman like in the past but for injuries on upper classman and then they transfer when they can't get their spot back. So many variables!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Didn't take that into consideration. Perhaps redshirts were told just sit a year, work on your game, get stronger and then you will be ready to take on a bigger role. Then guess what happens...redshirt still isn't playing much at first so they leave...or still can't break into the starting lineup by junior or senior so they leave. I would say this. If a kid is asked to redshirt there is usually something very much missing in his game...or they get hurt and aren't the same. Redshirting may not truly fix the issue and it could just be we see a reach that never gets up to speed. Perhaps for redshirts it is they are more patient but as time goes along they realize they never really catch up. Or it seems redshirts are no longer being used as much on incoming freshman like in the past but for injuries on upper classman and then they transfer when they can't get their spot back. So many variables!

I didn't even think about medical redshirts.  Your supposition makes a lot of sense.  Get injured, sit out a year, find out sooner or later that you can't get back into the starting lineup, so transfer.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, btownqb said:

Haven't been to the basketball board in a bit, saw the thread title.. all I've got to say about LBJ is F him. Flopping a**. 

Funny enough all the sportswriters and commentators are like so sad this will be the first finals in like forever that Lebron isn't playing in it and I'm like "HECK YEAH!". I'm really starting to like how the playoffs are shaping up. Suns if Paul stays healthy look fabulous...and fun to watch. (That said they got matched up to an LA team without AD and now Denver without Jamal Murray and a couple other key pieces).

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...