Jump to content

Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

Rosemond said Indiana is still talking with one Player in the portal.  

Wonder who it could be?

My want would be Langston Wilson, but (a) he's not in the portal he just reopened recruitment, AND (b) I don't really want anyone to leave so there's no room for him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Looks like Nerlens Noel w/ a 3pt shot

 

So he blocks everything and he shoots almost every time he touches it, but it's a lot of dunking and making threes. I don't want to wish anyone off of our roster, but him and TJD together could be terrifying for opposing teams. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If we are looking at another player wonder if the coaches knows someone else is planning on leaving.

It's an odd dynamic to be looking at people in the portal still with no open spots. I don't know why an IU player would plan on leaving but not be in the portal already allowing other schools/coaches to contact/scout them.

The only thing I could see making sense is the rumor that Leal might go off scholly and pay his own way (at a discount since his parents work for IU). I have no idea if any of that is remotely true.

Edited by cybergates
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, cybergates said:

It's an odd dynamic to be looking at people in the portal still with no open spots. I don't know why an IU player would plan on leaving but not be in the portal already allowing other schools/coaches to contact/scout them.

The only thing I could see making sense is the rumor that Leal might go off scholly and pay his own way (at a discount since his parents work for IU). I have no idea if any of that is remotely true.

How many times over the years have we heard these cockamamie pay your own way rumors?

 

  • Like 8
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

How many times over the years have we heard these cockamamie pay your own way rumors?

 

seems like it comes up often and then people start debating whether it is even legal or if that person still counts against scholarship numbers because they had previously been on scholarship.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

seems like it comes up often and then people start debating whether it is even legal or if that person still counts against scholarship numbers because they had previously been on scholarship.  

Yeah I don't think the NCAA even allows it...but I haven't researched the rules. Very far fetched. Heck Leal had a scholarship offer to Stanford!!! NO WAY he pays his own way. If someone hasn't discussed looking at going into the portal then someone will get nudged into it....it's the way it is. Don't like it but we all know it's going to happen in a coaching change.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The dude looked like Ralph Sampson playing against 6'5 post players. The one kids forehead hit him in his shoulder. We need another big. Is he better then our 13th man?

Seriously? The guy is getting interest from NBA teams. That should answer your question.  Not to mention most NAIA teams play with 6'7 to 6'9 post players. 

Edited by DC2345
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The dude looked like Ralph Sampson playing against 6'5 post players. The one kids forehead hit him in his shoulder. We need another big. Is he better then our 13th man?

I think it's wishful thinking. Gotta think he wants to start somewhere...and he wouldn't likely here. Just don't see the minutes with Trayce logging most at the 5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The dude looked like Ralph Sampson playing against 6'5 post players. The one kids forehead hit him in his shoulder. We need another big. Is he better then our 13th man?

Texas Tech, OSU, and LSU are interested.  i like it.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

How many times over the years have we heard these cockamamie pay your own way rumors?

 

Plenty especially during the Creaning years

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

seems like it comes up often and then people start debating whether it is even legal or if that person still counts against scholarship numbers because they had previously been on scholarship.  

Agreed see below

40 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I don't think the NCAA even allows it...but I haven't researched the rules. Very far fetched. Heck Leal had a scholarship offer to Stanford!!! NO WAY he pays his own way. If someone hasn't discussed looking at going into the portal then someone will get nudged into it....it's the way it is. Don't like it but we all know it's going to happen in a coaching change.

It definitely is (or at least was) allowed. I know for a fact that JR Smith paid his brother Russ's way at UL in the later years. The rule that most people think of is you can't give academic scholarships to players who you recruited and/or had on scholarship previously. I have no idea if Leal's parents work for IU or not, and how any discount would play under the rules. 

***Tried to find the story I remember of JR paying Russ's way and couldn't find anything other than they're not even related, so I must have fell for a rumor back in the day. Apologies!***

 

And as I stated in my OP, "I have no idea if any of that is remotely true."

Edited by cybergates
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cybergates said:

Plenty especially during the Creaning years

Agreed see below

It definitely is (or at least was) allowed. I know for a fact that JR Smith paid his brother Russ's way at UL in the later years. The rule that most people think of is you can't give academic scholarships to players who you recruited and/or had on scholarship previously. I have no idea if Leal's parents work for IU or not, and how any discount would play under the rules. 

And as I stated in my OP, "I have no idea if any of that is remotely true."

Never heard that...and yet I'm sure it's true. It probably is possible...but that it's such a far fetched scenario that no one would ever think to do it. First you get kicked off the team and your spot taken...then they want you to come back and pay to play?? What's even the point if your going to get walk on minutes?? Suppose it's possible but not sure why anyone would agree to it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Never heard that...and yet I'm sure it's true. It probably is possible...but that it's such a far fetched scenario that no one would ever think to do it. First you get kicked off the team and your spot taken...then they want you to come back and pay to play?? What's even the point if your going to get walk on minutes?? Suppose it's possible but not sure why anyone would agree to it.

It wouldn't be getting kicked off the team, it would be giving up your scholarship willingly to make the team better if you have the means to pay your own way.

I agree that it is farfetched most (99%) of the time it is brought up. I don't know if it was here or BTB, but someone said that was the rumor floating around after Kopp took the last spot and Brooks was being discussed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Never heard that...and yet I'm sure it's true. It probably is possible...but that it's such a far fetched scenario that no one would ever think to do it. First you get kicked off the team and your spot taken...then they want you to come back and pay to play?? What's even the point if your going to get walk on minutes?? Suppose it's possible but not sure why anyone would agree to it.

Players are allowed to give up scholarships and become a walk-on. The just can't jump to an academic scholarship. Doug McDermott did it his senior year. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I think it's wishful thinking. Gotta think he wants to start somewhere...and he wouldn't likely here. Just don't see the minutes with Trayce logging most at the 5.

He could definitely start with Trayce. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • bluegrassIU changed the title to Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...