Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

 He discussed the challenges of social media. The understanding the high expectations of Indiana badketball and his approach to recruiting. (Tell kids the truth, if they can't handle it then they are not right for the program)

 

Oh, he did mention he had never been previously approached by IU for any position. Ugh

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All the handwringing over this hire is ridiculous.  Mike Woodson is an NBA guy who clearly understands the reality of how college basketball recruiting works.  It looks like IU might finally be ready

Very good interview. Dane is smart, insightful, and is great with the English language.  Few things I recall: IU hasn’t gotten it right the past 20 years because they’ve tried to re-brand. It

Peegs is reporting Hunter to remain on staff as assistant coach.

Posted Images

I was interested in how he says the former players should "insulate" the program...

I guess if you have former players (or a student manager that eventually becomes an AD) in power positions it's possible, but if the Mike Woodson experiment falters, I'm not sure how it will play...

Don't get me wrong...I'm happy they're taking the chance...But it might be a one time deal if it doesn't succeed...

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Very good interview. Dane is smart, insightful, and is great with the English language.  Few things I recall:

  • IU hasn’t gotten it right the past 20 years because they’ve tried to re-brand. It hasn’t worked.  Woody is going to reconnect us with our brand. 
  • Woody and Matta called him last week.  Great call. Goals lined up.  Fife had never been offered a job at IU before.
  • Izzo was classy in letting him go.  He totally understood that Dane is an IU guy.  Izzo said maybe you can take over when Woody leaves.  Fife said that is not necessarily why he took the job (obviously would be open to it).
  • Woody will have to learn the college game. It was interesting that his tone was he’d have to tell Woody some stuff.  Parents are a big difference between college and pros.  Told a story about his own dad being upset when he didn’t play at Purdue his freshman year.  IU won but Mr Fife, himself a coach, wanted to blame the staff.  Dane stood up to his dad and told him he had been sucking at practice.  Dane says this kind of thing gives him insight into the players’ thought process.
  • This is Indiana. We are esteemed and aren’t going to beg any players to come back or to be recruited. 
  • In recruiting you have to be honest.  Tell the player the truth and what they need to work on.  Gave an example of Xavier Tillman. Tillman didn’t like their honesty but his mom loved it. 
  • Next assistant coach might have IU ties.  Fife seemed to like that idea but it was vague. 
  • Told some stories about being recruited by Knight.  Fife was also a top QB in high school so Knight tried to convince him he had a better shot in basketball.  Dakich said Knight tried to say at 6’5 he wasn’t big enough to play QB in the NFL which didn’t make sense.  Fife said Knight showed him his calf and told Fife he would get broken in half because he didn’t have calves like that.  Fife said Knight compared him to Randy Wittmann.   Fife talked to Randy today and told him be thinks Knight meant as a coach. 

 

Thanks for the summary.  Interested in what Fife has to say, but had no interest in giving Douchebag Dan any clicks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Best line about the parents and social media...

"If you're going to get on social media and complain about the coaches without talking to us, then you can take your son and leave. We'll win with or without you."

Doesn't sound like Izzo would have tolerated Justin Smith's dad.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Best line about the parents and social media...

"If you're going to get on social media and complain about the coaches without talking to us, then you can take your son and leave. We'll win with or without you."

Sounds like Woody and Fife would've loved Ed Smith.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

All extra outside stuff aside. Sounds like the program run at Michigan St is very very similar in culture and attitude to how things used to run here. Just a little modernized. I'm happy to have that same intensity and grit come home.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Umm, there has been talk about flying possible assistant coaches in on private jets from California on that other site. Lol. Really?  Do they understand what the cost is to do that?  Don’t think so!  

id like to think IU would buy first class tickets but lol but not private jets. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NaplesHoosier said:

Umm, there has been talk about flying possible assistant coaches in on private jets from California on that other site. Lol. Really?  Do they understand what the cost is to do that?  Don’t think so!  

id like to think IU would buy first class tickets but lol but not private jets. 
 

 

79 Greyhound Bus Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NaplesHoosier said:

Umm, there has been talk about flying possible assistant coaches in on private jets from California on that other site. Lol. Really?  Do they understand what the cost is to do that?  Don’t think so!  

id like to think IU would buy first class tickets but lol but not private jets. 
 

 

Good to see you here.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NaplesHoosier said:

Umm, there has been talk about flying possible assistant coaches in on private jets from California on that other site. Lol. Really?  Do they understand what the cost is to do that?  Don’t think so!  

id like to think IU would buy first class tickets but lol but not private jets. 
 

 

Hey Naples!  My dad just recently retired and moved from Indiana to Naples.  I've only been there a couple times, but he feels like he now lives in paradise!  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished the Fife interview by DD, and it's really encouraging and great to hear the philosophical side of the coaching plan, and how this is all coming together.  Very encouraging, very excited for the coming season and all the players.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NaplesHoosier said:

Umm, there has been talk about flying possible assistant coaches in on private jets from California on that other site. Lol. Really?  Do they understand what the cost is to do that?  Don’t think so!  

id like to think IU would buy first class tickets but lol but not private jets. 
 

 

I'd rather they just send a Mayflower truck to his front door. That would send a message.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Hey Naples!  My dad just recently retired and moved from Indiana to Naples.  I've only been there a couple times, but he feels like he now lives in paradise!  

I can attest its beautiful. I work downtown Naples but I live in Estero because the housing costs are astronomical...and I bought over a year ago before SW Florida became the hottest real estate market in the country. We have realters mailing us everyday asking us to sell and homes are selling 10-15% over asking price. I was told my house could fetch another 40k over what I bought it for last year (but where would I go??) It's wonderful that we basically haven't had all our freedoms destroyed and been almost entirely open since the pandemic started. Add the sun, the beach, probably more restaurants per capita than anywhere I've ever been and its pretty nice! I just hope all the people moving down here to get away from their high taxes and their govt overreach leave their politics back north with them so we can continue to live in the "paradise" we all came here for. If anyone knows of an IU hangout for game days let me know. I'd love to meet up with fun IU fans....once we are winning again.....for now I choose to watch at home where I can be miserable and complain all I want in peace.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, labeck81 said:

led to believe Lewis is still the #1 target for the last spot...no promises

Might be harder to get him out of UCLA, I hope not maybe just a front but we might be looking at other options currently. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I can attest its beautiful. I work downtown Naples but I live in Estero because the housing costs are astronomical...and I bought over a year ago before SW Florida became the hottest real estate market in the country. We have realters mailing us everyday asking us to sell and homes are selling 10-15% over asking price. I was told my house could fetch another 40k over what I bought it for last year (but where would I go??) It's wonderful that we basically haven't had all our freedoms destroyed and been almost entirely open since the pandemic started. Add the sun, the beach, probably more restaurants per capita than anywhere I've ever been and its pretty nice! I just hope all the people moving down here to get away from their high taxes and their govt overreach leave their politics back north with them so we can continue to live in the "paradise" we all came here for. If anyone knows of an IU hangout for game days let me know. I'd love to meet up with fun IU fans....once we are winning again.....for now I choose to watch at home where I can be miserable and complain all I want in peace.

My cousin is moving to Estero.  Could be your new neighbor.  Here's a picture.  Let me know if you see him around.  

Fat man in the garden Stock Photos - Page 1 : Masterfile

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My cousin is moving to Estero.  Could be your new neighbor.  Here's a picture.  Let me know if you see him around.  

Fat man in the garden Stock Photos - Page 1 : Masterfile

And bring your Manscaper...youre gonna need it....

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...