Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1. Coaching staffs have a culture within the team culture. Some will have a culture that pushes it further into the grey area or will cross the line. I don’t believe for a second that any of those assistants implicated did so with out a wink and a nod from the head coach. So a valid question should be: what type of coaching culture regarding the rules will Woody create? If it’s a clean culture is he really going to bring people on board that he think will cross him? So you either trust Woody, don’t trust him or think he’s naive. I personally don’t have a reason to not trust him, but I have many reasons to trust him. 

2. As I said previously, the NIL may take the assistants out of the ‘game’. There won’t be a use for them because there will other direct and legal ways to gain access to a player.

....just my take.  

Edited by tdhoosier
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All the handwringing over this hire is ridiculous.  Mike Woodson is an NBA guy who clearly understands the reality of how college basketball recruiting works.  It looks like IU might finally be ready

Very good interview. Dane is smart, insightful, and is great with the English language.  Few things I recall: IU hasn’t gotten it right the past 20 years because they’ve tried to re-brand. It

Peegs is reporting Hunter to remain on staff as assistant coach.

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

In virtually every NFL play, an O-lineman is holding, a D-back is holding, or both.

Sometimes they get caught, imo more times they don’t. If the refs decide not to call a close game, the players take advantage.

Is this cheating? Sure it is. But you and I accept it as players taking whatever edges they can. Kinda gray area? Sure, just like what some are suggesting. Are some things just accepted by fans? Yes sir. You probably accept them as well.

 

No one is advocating hollowing out a bat or deflating balls. However nothing wrong with scuffing the ball a little before throwing it back to the pitcher. Nothing wrong with living on the edge a bit.

To me holding in football is not cheating but it is like fouling in basketball where it is an objective call

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think being holier  than though is a compliment and not something to be criticized for.

Haha. If expecting someone to hold up to the values you, yourself, do not adhere to is a compliment then I think I finally understand you. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Dawkins made similar comments to Rosemond: "You're recruiting a kid that needs some s---, you know, we can facilitate." Rosemond replied he would introduce them to his recruits, telling Dawkins, "Whatever you need me to do, I'll do it. I ain't got no dog in the fight. One day be a head coach."

If you are not bothered by this comment, then just be consistent about it.  Go back and look at what you posted in other threads on these topics, and edit your comments if necessary.  

  • Sean Miller
  • UNC Fake Classes
  • Anything involving Rick Pitino or Louisville
  • Will Wade

You believe it's okay or you don't.  But, you can't pass judgement against Sean Miller and give a free pass to Yasir Rosemand when both tried to do the exact same thing with the exact same group of people.  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think being holier  than though is a compliment and not something to be criticized for.

Out of curiosity, Is being holier than now tarnishing a potential hires name when have no idea what actually happened and what IU is doing and why they value him?  The guy was never convicted or proven guilty.  Unfortunately, alot of good people, good human beings, were mentioned in those reports.  And, unfortunately, some of the those who should be mentioned were probably not.  

I don't think anyone deserves the treatment that some get.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Haha. If expecting someone to hold up to the values you, yourself, do not adhere to is a compliment then I think I finally understand you. 

You should always strive for perfection even though it is not possible. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Out of curiosity, Is being holier than now tarnishing a potential hires name when have no idea what actually happened and what IU is doing and why they value him?  The guy was never convicted or proven guilty.  Unfortunately, alot of good people, good human beings, were mentioned in those reports.  And, unfortunately, some of the those who should be mentioned were probably not.  

I don't think anyone deserves the treatment that some get.  

 

I have said like 5 times I trust Woodson and Dolson if they hire him

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Out of curiosity, Is being holier than now tarnishing a potential hires name when have no idea what actually happened and what IU is doing and why they value him?  The guy was never convicted or proven guilty.  Unfortunately, alot of good people, good human beings, were mentioned in those reports.  And, unfortunately, some of the those who should be mentioned were probably not.  

I don't think anyone deserves the treatment that some get.  

 

Was he not on tape saying he would do whatever it took....we aren’t twisting words...we are taking the guy at his word. He will pay kids to land them. He doesn’t care which school he works for he is a hired gun because if he lands kids he will get a head coaching job. What part of that are we wrong about?! How are we tarnishing someone who admitted to trying to cheat? I love how people try to twist it and make the good guys the bad guys. For the record I’m against the hire. If he is hired we better keep him in line. No room for an f up. He does and we go down for it...I’m done with this program. It’s like buying a pit bull that has bit someone before but maybe that person didn’t raise it well..and then letting your kid play with it. Maybe it won’t bite...and some people are cool with it...but my child (IU) in isn’t worth it. Lots of good dogs out there. Sure they could bite too but I’ll take my chance with one of those even if it isn’t as good at protecting my house. 
 

We all are still fans...we should quit attacking each other and if we disagree focus on the what was said and not take personal shots because someone’s values.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

Is this really necessary?  I have a tremendous amount of respect for you and empathy for the challenges you've faced with you son.  Nowhere did I say I was perfect, and I certainly do not believe that to be the case.  I am not against second chances, but I think we have to make sure it is the right situation.  The IU basketball program has not recovered from the last second chance we gave.  While Yasir might be deserving of a second chance, I'm not sure I think IU is in a position to give it.  Just my thoughts, nothing else.

I apologize was having a bad day and took it out in the wrong arena. I am thankful for second chances because without 1 I have no idea where I would be. I sincerely do apologize for making a personal attack. A lot of times I am sarcastic this is not one!!

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

There is no such thing as a little cheating.  It is like you being a little pregnant

Quick question for you. Taking 3 steps to score a basket is cheating but if it's not called would you as the coach stop the game and tell the refs to take those points off because your team cheated to score them. Or you cheat by setting an illegal screen? I assume no to both so what level of cheating gets the Scott approval and which isn't. That's a little cheating right so it's not like being  a little pregnant 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Was he not on tape saying he would do whatever it took....we aren’t twisting words...we are taking the guy at his word. He will pay kids to land them. He doesn’t care which school he works for he is a hired gun because if he lands kids he will get a head coaching job. What part of that are we wrong about?! How are we tarnishing someone who admitted to trying to cheat? I love how people try to twist it and make the good guys the bad guys. For the record I’m against the hire. If he is hired we better keep him in line. No room for an f up. He does and we go down for it...I’m done with this program. It’s like buying a pit bull that has bit someone before but maybe that person didn’t raise it well..and then letting your kid play with it. Maybe it won’t bite...and some people are cool with it...but my child (IU) in isn’t worth it. Lots of good dogs out there. Sure they could bite too but I’ll take my chance with one of those even if it isn’t as good at protecting my house. 
 

We all are still fans...we should quit attacking each other and if we disagree focus on the what was said and not take personal shots because someone’s values.

There is a reason why, if this is the hire, he is being hired.  This coaching staff is already elite with three guys who are considered elite recruiters.  I know Thad is not the one going out there, but he has connections.  Fife and Hunter are known proven recruiters.  I'm pretty sure they are stacked there, and this new, possible assistant has made it through the many possibilities because he is being recommended.  The guy must have the it factor and I'm looking forward to learning more about it.  Coach Woodson didn't take over to set the program back, he is moving it forward with the culture the former players want.  I'm sure they did their homework.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me holding in football is not cheating but it is like fouling in basketball where it is an objective call

How is that not cheating.  The rules specifically say you can't do it but you do it anyway. The very definition of cheating.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

How is that not cheating.  The rules specifically say you can't do it but you do it anyway. The very definition of cheating.

Billingsley.  You're arguing here just because it's Scott.  Holding in football and travelling in basketball are clearly different forms/levels of cheating than offering payments to players.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

To me holding in football is not cheating but it is like fouling in basketball where it is an objective call

Holding in football is cheating, that's why they get penalized for doing it. It's just a form of cheating that is considered acceptable.

The rules say, "don't hold." They do it anyways to gain an advantage over their opponent knowing the whole time that it's not legal but hoping they don't get caught. 

It's not bad enough cheating that the player deserves to be kicked out of the game or have the team forfeit the game or anything like that but it's still cheating. You can view it as cheating "only a little bit" or "kind of" cheating if that helps. :coffee:

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we just skip this debate and have the “no cheaters” crowd get to the part where they start rationalizing how Rosemond actually isn’t dirty like they did for Kenny Johnson, Chuck Martin, Tom Ostrom, etc.?  C’mon guys, you’ve done it before and you can do it again.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It hasn't been announced he is the hire yet.  All this back and forth is silly!  At the end of the day it doesn't matter what any of us think. Back the program or find another...  we are trying to build a team for next year, and here we are with all the negativity again. It is exhausting!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t like it. I’m on the record. Not going to lose sleep over it. That said if we get in trouble because this guy I will be so p!ssed off. I’ll be ready to clean house. My trust is in the staff to set the expectations and toe the line. That said I don’t need anyone’s permission to have my opinion or even give it. I may never like the hire. I may just have to live with it. Maybe I have been ignorant of our assistants in the past...that’s on me. Doesn’t make me inconsistent in my stance. If I’d known and it was out in the open I would have opposed them too. Let’s just hope the young man has learned his lesson and does a great job here.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Quick question for you. Taking 3 steps to score a basket is cheating but if it's not called would you as the coach stop the game and tell the refs to take those points off because your team cheated to score them. Or you cheat by setting an illegal screen? I assume no to both so what level of cheating gets the Scott approval and which isn't. That's a little cheating right so it's not like being  a little pregnant 

Traveling is not cheating just like fouling isn't cheating.  Those two are objective calls by the officials.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Interesting ... how do you define cheating then?

To me when there are officials on the court whose job is to make the calls it is not cheating to travel or foul.  It is cheating when you fix the game or point shave or pay players to come to your school.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Can we just skip this debate and have the “no cheaters” crowd get to the part where they start rationalizing how Rosemond actually isn’t dirty like they did for Kenny Johnson, Chuck Martin, Tom Ostrom, etc.?  C’mon guys, you’ve done it before and you can do it again.

Seriuosly!  We should just hire Dave Bliss as the 3rd assistant, Knight ties, IU ties, head coaching experience, he checks all the boxes.   :coffee:

Edited by Muddy River
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Quick question for you. Taking 3 steps to score a basket is cheating but if it's not called would you as the coach stop the game and tell the refs to take those points off because your team cheated to score them. Or you cheat by setting an illegal screen? I assume no to both so what level of cheating gets the Scott approval and which isn't. That's a little cheating right so it's not like being  a little pregnant 

Seriously @Billingsley99?

This is not even remotely in the same discussion, and you know that.  Lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Traveling is not cheating just like fouling isn't cheating.  Those two are objective calls by the officials.

Scott we don’t see eye to eye often but on this one I agree with you. But I’d just save your breath. You’ve made your point and there was nothing wrong with it. Everyone knows where you stands and yet there is nothing you can say to change the mind of those on the other side. This isn’t an issue where people can find common ground. There is two sides...not really middle ground really. It’s dumb to try to equate or compare anything to what he did. It’s clear cut the guy tried to cheat but failed at it. Wasn’t for lack of trying he just didn’t have the pull to land the money. It isn’t grey...it’s black and white what he was attempting. We don’t have to compare it to attempted murder or attempted bribery or traveling or holding....it’s clear as day. People are either ok with it or ok with giving the guy a second chance or they aren’t ok with it or not ok with his second chance being with us. I think we can all just let it be left at that. No reason for people to try to convince others or to judge others. Perfectly fine people on both sides of this...in the end we all hope this guy isn’t caught in the crosshairs working here...or it may be another 30 years of crap basketball.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...