Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PER (Player Efficiency Rating) for each. These are mostly based on offense with only a few defensive stats used to calculate. It works better for the NBA since the teams all play each other while in t

Here's my 5 for next year. TJD The rest of the spots are all open to competition from returning to incoming players.

The unknown bothers people for some reason. We went into the "unknown" with Coach Woodson and so far, it's gone well. It's ok we don't necessarily know for sure what Kopp, Stewart, and Johnson will gi

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

beginning of season:
X
RP*
Stewart*
Race
TJD
First off the bench: Jerome

End of season:
X
Lander
Stewart*
Jerome*
TJD
First off the bench: Race

*= shooter. Most line-ups will require 2 good shooters to be on the floor at the same time. I expect for Leal to get a little boost in minutes. 

Other thoughts:
-I don't see Race, Hunter and TJD on the floor at the same time
-I think RP and X will play well together
-Yes, I'm going to consider Rob a shooter.....just wait. 
-We still need another shooter, IMO

i really agree with most of this.  i agree RP could be a shooter.  i agree he can team with XJ or Lander.  i agree Race, Hunter, and TJD may not be great together, but not quite sure of this.  the thing i never buy into is the beginning of the season lineup and end of season lineup.  sure it can happen, but i think unlikely unless we have injuries or behavior issues.  not saying the same guys will start every single game, but hard to see why two guys will lose their spot at the end of the season.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rob has shot under 30% from 3 and under 70% from FT in his career. I love the kid, but that is not what we want starting as the SG. 

 

1.  Xavier Johnson

2. Parker Stewart

3. Galloway

4. Jerome Hunter

5. TJD

 

Stewart and Hunter can shoot great. Xavier is an average shooter (better than Rob). What Galloway lacks in shooting, he makes up for on the break and penetrating and slashing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rico said:

I will let Woody decide.

You would rather let someone who has never coached a game of college basketball in his life choose the starting lineup over the know-it-all IU fans on this site? 

Your fan card is officially under review. 👎

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, IUaic said:

You would rather let someone who has never coached a game of college basketball in his life choose the starting lineup over the know-it-all IU fans on this site? 

Your fan card is officially under review. 👎

No card on my part required.....I am grandfathered in.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I'll wait til I see a full roster. Geez...it's not even been a week since the tournament ended and we have to know the starting 5 for next year??? Did we even have 5 guys officially still on the team 5 days ago??

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Think I'll wait til I see a full roster. Geez...it's not even been a week since the tournament ended and we have to know the starting 5 for next year??? Did we even have 5 guys officially still on the team 5 days ago??

It's just a message board. A topic for discussion. If Woody is looking here for anything other than humor, we have bigger issues than any of us are capable of comprehending.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Rob has shot under 30% from 3 and under 70% from FT in his career. I love the kid, but that is not what we want starting as the SG. 

 

1.  Xavier Johnson

2. Parker Stewart

3. Galloway

4. Jerome Hunter

5. TJD

 

Stewart and Hunter can shoot great. Xavier is an average shooter (better than Rob). What Galloway lacks in shooting, he makes up for on the break and penetrating and slashing. 

I think we will see a more confident Rob with the new staff / offense. I get the hesitation, but I am convinced a lot of our offensive woes were due to the scheme, and less due to the personnel.

We shall see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Rob has shot under 30% from 3 and under 70% from FT in his career. I love the kid, but that is not what we want starting as the SG. 

 

1.  Xavier Johnson

2. Parker Stewart

3. Galloway

4. Jerome Hunter

5. TJD

 

Stewart and Hunter can shoot great. Xavier is an average shooter (better than Rob). What Galloway lacks in shooting, he makes up for on the break and penetrating and slashing. 

you're right of course abut Rob, but i think he is a better shooter than that.  i don't think there's any way he'll be the starting SG though.  i know everyone loved Galloway at first, but i'll be shocked if he's a starter this year.  i'll also be a little concerned.  just my opinion, but i honestly think he's a candidate to be more like the 11th man.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Woody says he is looking for 2 more from the portal.  Hopefully they are good enough to make the starting lineup.  

4- new guys

TJD 

 

I won't complain about getting better right away

Small correction,

Woody says Mike Woodson is looking for 2 more from the portal.  :coffee:

 

 

 

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Woody says he is looking for 2 more from the portal.  Hopefully they are good enough to make the starting lineup.  

4- new guys

TJD 

 

I won't complain about getting better right away

The more new faces the better. Right now it's basically the same team as last year with what is probably an upgrade at guard. How much of an upgrade remains to be determined.

We're also replacing the bad coach with a coach that, while decently successful in the NBA, has never coached at the college level.

So I really hope both of those scholarships are filled with transfers to add new dimensions to the team as well as more experience.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

The more new faces the better. Right now it's basically the same team as last year with what is probably an upgrade at guard. How much of an upgrade remains to be determined.

We're also replacing the bad coach with a coach that, while decently successful in the NBA, has never coached at the college level.

So I really hope both of those scholarships are filled with transfers to add new dimensions to the team as well as more experience.

i'm excited, but you're making it too tempting to be negative, so here goes... is Stewart better than Franklin?  i kinda doubt it.  Johnson better than Durham?  yeah, i'd think so.  so are we better?  Brunk giving inside depth and guys a year more experienced certainly helps.  we were a horrible shooting team and swapped out Franklin who shot a higher % than Stewart and Durham who shot a higher % than Johnson.  Woodson has done a great job with things so far, but as you say, we have no idea what he can do in the college game.  eh, enough of that.  i'm still excited!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm excited, but you're making it too tempting to be negative, so here goes... is Stewart better than Franklin?  i kinda doubt it.  Johnson better than Durham?  yeah, i'd think so.  so are we better?  Brunk giving inside depth and guys a year more experienced certainly helps.  we were a horrible shooting team and swapped out Franklin who shot a higher % than Stewart and Durham who shot a higher % than Johnson.  Woodson has done a great job with things so far, but as you say, we have no idea what he can do in the college game.  eh, enough of that.  i'm still excited!

That and I don't think we should underestimate how much a new voice and updated offense can help. I don't see a weakness in this staff. I only see positives. If you listen closely to what CMW and coach Fife have said, you can see a plan taking shape. I see improvement coming from everyone because they believe. I'm sure there will be bumps. But I expect a team in February that no one wants to play. Can't wait.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm excited, but you're making it too tempting to be negative, so here goes... is Stewart better than Franklin?  i kinda doubt it.  Johnson better than Durham?  yeah, i'd think so.  so are we better?  Brunk giving inside depth and guys a year more experienced certainly helps.  we were a horrible shooting team and swapped out Franklin who shot a higher % than Stewart and Durham who shot a higher % than Johnson.  Woodson has done a great job with things so far, but as you say, we have no idea what he can do in the college game.  eh, enough of that.  i'm still excited!

Is Johnson better than Franklin I think he is.  Do you think Stewart is better than Durham, I do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Is Johnson better than Franklin I think he is.  Do you think Stewart is better than Durham, I do.

maybe.  not sure.  could be a wash?  i guess they are different types of players.  key is Johnson gives us a legit PG.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

maybe.  not sure.  could be a wash?  i guess they are different types of players.  key is Johnson gives us a legit PG.  

I think the two we gain is as good as the ones we lost.  I hope to add at least one more real good shooter. With the additions and hoping for better player development I see a better team this year

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IU Scott said:

I think the two we gain is as good as the ones we lost.  I hope to add at least one more real good shooter. With the additions and hoping for better player development I see a better team this year

We don't know how Stewart or Johnson are on the defensive end. Armaan was turning into great defender before he got hurt. Al was ok on close outs, but got beat like a tom-tom going to the basket.

Offensively, I am hoping Stewart returns to form on his outside shot, and offsets Armaan's loss. 

Johnson is skilled, but the sorry 3 point percentage and high amount of turnovers concerns me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm excited, but you're making it too tempting to be negative, so here goes... is Stewart better than Franklin?  i kinda doubt it.  Johnson better than Durham?  yeah, i'd think so.  so are we better?  Brunk giving inside depth and guys a year more experienced certainly helps.  we were a horrible shooting team and swapped out Franklin who shot a higher % than Stewart and Durham who shot a higher % than Johnson.  Woodson has done a great job with things so far, but as you say, we have no idea what he can do in the college game.  eh, enough of that.  i'm still excited!

I'm still excited but not as much as I was before Franklin transferred. There are still 2 spots open to bring is some more players to better differentiate the talent and experience of next year's team from last year's. 

There is also the open assistant coaching position. I'm hoping for a really good how there. I'd personally prefer an NBA player development type. Someone like that could really help future recruiting plus making it more likely the returning players will play much better next year, although the fact that this coaching staff will work on that personally rather than grad assistants and managers already helps.

I guess I'm just used to having questions every off season whether the returning players will be significantly better than the year before and being quite disappointed that much more often than not the answer was "no." Maybe I'm just in a negative mood today.

There are many reasons to be excited. There are also a lot of questions but the roster and coaching staff aren't complete yet.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Is Johnson better than Franklin I think he is.  Do you think Stewart is better than Durham, I do.

That's the question. I hope they are better but I'm not sure. Even if they are better I'm not sure they're that much better that it'll make a huge difference.

I think the worst case of that they're a bit worse than the players they're replacing but, again, not enough that it'll make much of a difference.

That means most of the difference (at this point with 2 open scholarships) depends on the new coaching staff. That's a question mark but u think they'll positive to be a significant upgrade over Miller and company.

Edited by go_iu_bb
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

That's the question. I hope they are better but I'm not sure. Even if they are better I'm not sure they're that much better that it'll make a huge difference.

I think the worst case of that they're a bit worse than the players they're replacing but, again, not enough that it'll make much of a difference.

That means most of the difference (at this point with 2 open scholarships) depends on the new coaching staff. That's a question mark but u think they'll positive to be a significant upgrade over Miller and company.

So you don't think any of the other returning players will improve at all.  I do think this coaching staff will be a huge upgrade from the other coaching staff.  I think they will be a lot better at player development and be able to correct some of the problems our players had had.  I thi k the players will play with more freedom and will not be so robotic in their offense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So you don't think any of the other returning players will improve at all.  I do think this coaching staff will be a huge upgrade from the other coaching staff.  I think they will be a lot better at player development and be able to correct some of the problems our players had had.  I thi k the players will play with more freedom and will not be so robotic in their offense.

Wtf did I say that? I said it's a question mark. They could greatly improve but they could also just be bad players. These questions won't be answered until next season when we actually see the team play. Just counting on the team being better just because the returning players would be better hasn't worked out well recently.

The coaching staff should be better but the head coach is an unknown at the college level. Again, another question that won't be answered for 7 months.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...