Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I think people forget just how great he was for us. Not just as junior and senior. Do people forget his heroics defending Webber and helping us hold off the fab five to basically wrap up the B1G Championship?? As a FRESHMAN! People should really go back and rewatch him. Imagine Brian Evans today. Perfect stretch 4! I know he wasn't quick but dang that kid could shoot...and boy did he fight defending bigger dudes. Despite all his injuries he is an all timer in my book! I'll take anything resembling that from Miller. Go IU!

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1993-02-15-1993046088-story.html

Played a majority of a season with separated shoulder that he could not lift over his head and still outworked guys on the boards. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What can you tell us about coach Woodson in terms of his recruiting style and his personality? “He obviously is super confident. He’s super confident in himself and the staff. I picked up on that

A recurring sentiment about Coach Woodson. 

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, KDB said:

Stretch 4 is exactly what we needed.

Didn’t have a great year last year, but the guy averaged 13ppg and shot 39% from 3 the year before. He can play.

Love it. We have a chance to be pretty good. Roster has lots of talent.

Yes, after his soph year, I felt like Kopp was going to be a star in the B1G. He started OK last year, but then Feb hit and he had a major shooting slump. Had some awful shooting games late in the year. Don't know if he had an undisclosed injury, if it was confidence, or just part of NW collapsing overall. NW's guards were really bad last year, so maybe he just drew more defensive attention.

If he's the player he was the prior year, he'll be a great weapon.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yes, after his soph year, I felt like Kopp was going to be a star in the B1G. He started OK last year, but then Feb hit and he had a major shooting slump. Had some awful shooting games late in the year. Don't know if he had an undisclosed injury, if it was confidence, or just part of NW collapsing overall. NW's guards were really bad last year, so maybe he just drew more defensive attention.

If he's the player he was the prior year, he'll be a great weapon.

 

If he's the average of those two years he will be a great addition. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we are getting a picture now of what it's going to be at IU.

My hope yesterday was they add one more big to battle inside but it's clear CMW is saying we're surrounding you with shooters and if you want to play multiple bigs we're going to run by you or shoot lights out from distance and force you to react. They'll trade 2's for 3's.

The B1G will have to adjust to be more like the NBA now and less reliant on bigs bullying the other team inside.

The season cannot get here soon enough.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I don't see it. I think everyone will have an opportunity to play next year (I think with a faster pace, the minutes will be better distributed). Chance to develop and win. Why would anybody leave? 

18-22 year olds don't always make the best decisions. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Galloway will have a nice role. He’s fast, both with and without the ball. He has good size and is hard nosed.  He can score and create in transition.  His shot was a bit broken but recall he was coming off a wrist issue.  If he can get his shooting fixed in the off-season to the point that he can shoot, say 35% from three, he can be a real dynamo because the defenses won’t be able to sag off him.

I think he will be a factor in the new system. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Euroclydon said:

The season cannot get here soon enough.

For us, yes.

For the team, they need to learn a new offense and defense, get to know the new coaching staff, recover from the PTSD associated with the last couple of seasons, and learn how to win. 

They need time...

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I don't see it. I think everyone will have an opportunity to play next year (I think with a faster pace, the minutes will be better distributed). Chance to develop and win. Why would anybody leave? 

I dont see it either but you never know with 18, 19 year old kids.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone will NOT play this year. I look at a couple guys like Galloway and Leal and they will have to work very very hard to carve out a role on this team. Heck they might even should think red shirting if there minutes get soaked up. That said I'm not interested in losing either one of them. If a change happens it happens...but I think they still have a lot to bring to the future of IU basketball. Maybe it isn't this year but perhaps next year. Competition is great...especially in practice. It will also force kids to figure out what they have to improve to see the court. The deficiencies in our offense looked very much addressed. It's funny all the things we have been crying for 4 seasons got fixed in one off season. We just added dynamic back court that will play much more aggressive and fast. We added shooting! We added veteran players. It's like someone has been reading our game threads for the past two years and said....ok..I'll go get that! Love it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Piston Honda said:

That I don't know. Just know IU is still interested and in contact, but i agree, he won't and shouldn't come as a walk on.

I would think there will be a guy to leave especially at the wing or guard position.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Screenshot_20210420-095852_Twitter~2.jpg

I wonder who the "swap in and out" could be?.....It leads me to believe, another current player could enter transfer portal as we have our eyes on an additional key player in the portal. Am I reading this correctly?

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Everyone will NOT play this year. I look at a couple guys like Galloway and Leal and they will have to work very very hard to carve out a role on this team. Heck they might even should think red shirting if there minutes get soaked up. That said I'm not interested in losing either one of them. If a change happens it happens...but I think they still have a lot to bring to the future of IU basketball. Maybe it isn't this year but perhaps next year. Competition is great...especially in practice. It will also force kids to figure out what they have to improve to see the court. The deficiencies in our offense looked very much addressed. It's funny all the things we have been crying for 4 seasons got fixed in one off season. We just added dynamic back court that will play much more aggressive and fast. We added shooting! We added veteran players. It's like someone has been reading our game threads for the past two years and said....ok..I'll go get that! Love it!

So will Lander. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

I wonder who the "swap in and out" could be?.....It leads me to believe, another current player could enter transfer portal as we have our eyes on an additional key player in the portal. Am I reading this correctly?

My goodness Mr. H.. how else would you read it?! 😆

Edited by btownqb
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Everyone will NOT play this year. I look at a couple guys like Galloway and Leal and they will have to work very very hard to carve out a role on this team. Heck they might even should think red shirting if there minutes get soaked up. That said I'm not interested in losing either one of them. If a change happens it happens...but I think they still have a lot to bring to the future of IU basketball. Maybe it isn't this year but perhaps next year. Competition is great...especially in practice. It will also force kids to figure out what they have to improve to see the court. The deficiencies in our offense looked very much addressed. It's funny all the things we have been crying for 4 seasons got fixed in one off season. We just added dynamic back court that will play much more aggressive and fast. We added shooting! We added veteran players. It's like someone has been reading our game threads for the past two years and said....ok..I'll go get that! Love it!

Both of those guys add something. I wouldnt want either to go. Galloway needs a shot fix, cant think his dad was a coach. A confident Leal with the green light brings a lot. Is there a ton of mins for either, no, but depends how they improve. someone is going to be 12 and 13.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good pickup and there will be plenty of battles for playing time.  I think a couple should think about redshirting because you can't play 13 players.  I still wonder if Woodson will go to more of a pro sub pattern where they usually bring in 4 or 5 subs at one time and play them 6-8 minute stretches.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Very good pickup and there will be plenty of battles for playing time.  I think a couple should think about redshirting because you can't play 13 players.  I still wonder if Woodson will go to more of a pro sub pattern where they usually bring in 4 or 5 subs at one time and play them 6-8 minute stretches.

The NBA does some of that stuff because of how many more possessions there are in an NBA game compared to college. They also do it because they play over double the amount of games. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

My goodness Mr. H.. how else would you read it?! 😆

O.K. smart a**....lol I am just having a hard time figuring out who else would consider leaving....... Honestly, why would anyone else want to leave? Unless you were told your role will be drastically reduced.... This NEW coaching staff and current roster, (on paper) looks NASTY!

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as Kopp playing the 4...probably not. I think he is a perfect wing. If he works hard should be able to start as well. Woodson talks about switching everything on defense. You want to be multiple...switching is how you shut down offenses and make them go to 2nd and 3rd options. Make guys score contested and keep them from getting down hill on those dribble drive hand offs and pick n roll/and coming off screens. Kopp will be able to help 2-4. So is the starting back court set? X, Stuey, Kopp??  Think of the shooting we can put on the court now. Much much improved. Heck and big too. Much bigger team 1-5.  Shooting wise imagine having Stewart, Leal, Kopp, and Hunter all out there together with Trayce down low. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IU Scott said:

Very good pickup and there will be plenty of battles for playing time.  I think a couple should think about redshirting because you can't play 13 players.  I still wonder if Woodson will go to more of a pro sub pattern where they usually bring in 4 or 5 subs at one time and play them 6-8 minute stretches.

I agree on the redshirting idea.  People argue that kids today don’t want to do it.  But there are programs that still use the redshirt and do so effectively.

We have benefited greatly over the years from a bunch of guys who were  really big for us as fifth year seniors.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

O.K. smart a**....lol I am just having a hard time figuring out who else would consider leaving....... Honestly, why would anyone else want to leave? Unless you were told your role will be drastically reduced.... This could coaching staff and current roster (on paper) looks NASTY!

playing time

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...