Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

This latest subway killing is just so senseless and tragic. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/16/nyregion/michelle-go-man-pushes-woman-subway.html

It’s one of the reasons that both my wife and I never wait close to the platform. If there is a wall, we are near it or up against it. If tracks on both sides, we are square in the middle and if possible near a column. Also, head on a swivel, watching people coming and going. 

This woman was just randomly chatting with two friends and was pushed into the path of an oncoming train. Never saw it coming. Times Square at 9am. 

• Sad 4

23 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/16/nyregion/michelle-go-man-pushes-woman-subway.html

It’s one of the reasons that both my wife and I never wait close to the platform. If there is a wall, we are near it or up against it. If tracks on both sides, we are square in the middle and if possible near a column. Also, head on a swivel, watching people coming and going. 

This woman was just randomly chatting with two friends and was pushed into the path of an oncoming train. Never saw it coming. Times Square at 9am. 

She was my cousins co-worker. 

• Sad 10

On 1/19/2022 at 12:06 PM, Lostin76 said:

WTF is wrong with people?  Just when you think you've pretty much covered the evil things people can do to each other, something different pops up.  I'm afraid to ask what's next...

• Like 1

I bought a new house 2 weeks ago. Today, my ex wife, who I've not been married to for almost 20 years, got a text offering to inquire about purchase our new home. I am not on social media except for 3 IU bball message boards like this one. The text asked specifically about the exact address of my new house.

I think it's total BS. My little brother says I wear a tin foil hat.

Am I wrong that this is totally effing wack?

You closing on your house is public record.  Some where, a long long time ago, your marriage license or some kind of affiliation to your wife, was public record and the two of you got linked.  She is less anonymous online than you, so her phone number is easy to find.

Honestly, we lost privacy 10-20 years ago.  It ain't coming back.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

You closing on your house is public record.  Some where, a long long time ago, your marriage license or some kind of affiliation to your wife, was public record and the two of you got linked.  She is less anonymous online than you, so her phone number is easy to find.

Honestly, we lost privacy 10-20 years ago.  It ain't coming back.  

@Joe_HoopsierThis. My old job we used to view auto loans, mortgages, and UCC filings for various purposes not the least of which was to compare how many closings we were doing compared to most of the competition or see which businesses were purchasing equipment etc. Everything is public record....so your old home selling or like faithful said new home closing could easily tipped someone off familiar with your Ex. I'd say not to stress too much...another thing is that a lot of lenders will utilize various marketing tools some of which is not much better than junk mail but as soon as I closed on my last house I immediately got flooded with refi offers/insurance offers/and realator offers etc. Your info is ALL out there and some of that stuff doesn't get scrubbed very well (verified) so they just mass mail to anyone associated with you. Some of this has always been available...public records and lots more sold by retailers, search engines, websites, apps etc. It's good your aware...but I wouldn't let it scare you too much.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I bought a new house 2 weeks ago. Today, my ex wife, who I've not been married to for almost 20 years, got a text offering to inquire about purchase our new home. I am not on social media except for 3 IU bball message boards like this one. The text asked specifically about the exact address of my new house.

I think it's total BS. My little brother says I wear a tin foil hat.

Am I wrong that this is totally effing wack?

Congrats on the new home!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A school district near me is having a 2 hour delay tomorrow morning because several county roads are only one lane due to the snow. Apparently bus and student drivers need more light to see where they're going. I'm not sure who deserves the most blame here: the people who plowed the roads and didn't do both lanes, Indiana for being on Eastern time, the school day for starting too early or spineless administrators for letting parents push them around. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/6/2022 at 11:38 PM, TheWatShot said:

A school district near me is having a 2 hour delay tomorrow morning because several county roads are only one lane due to the snow. Apparently bus and student drivers need more light to see where they're going. I'm not sure who deserves the most blame here: the people who plowed the roads and didn't do both lanes, Indiana for being on Eastern time, the school day for starting too early or spineless administrators for letting parents push them around. 

I know many districts have changed routines in the morning due to a study saying that elementary kids fare better earlier in the morning than high school kids.  The only push back was of course extracurriculars then going on later and later in the evening.  

In this instance.  Lots of blame to be shared.  Don't leave out the wind and snow drifts.  

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

This is going too far. No law says you can't give gas to somebody else. They want women and children to freeze? There are plenty of women and children there- I've seen pics. 

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/several-people-arrested-for-bringing-gas-to-freedom-convoy-demonstrators-in-ottawa-police-say-1.5770413

I remember years ago going to Canada on a business trip. Turned on the TV and there was news of a trucker blockade on the provincial border. I thought at the time why is this not even mentioned on American news? Then I thought, we are just so consumed in ourselves. Glad the world is shrinking!!!

19 hours ago, Reacher said:

This is going too far. No law says you can't give gas to somebody else. They want women and children to freeze? There are plenty of women and children there- I've seen pics. 

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/several-people-arrested-for-bringing-gas-to-freedom-convoy-demonstrators-in-ottawa-police-say-1.5770413

A happy ending. A judge ordered the seized fuel returned to the truckers (1/4 have their families with them) and Alberta and Saskatchewan have lifted their vaccine mandates. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2022 at 9:52 AM, Seeking6 said:

Not sure how close our comrade @Lostin76 is to the horrible tragedy in Brooklyn this morning. Hoping he's safe. 

We use that line to get to work and into Manhattan from our place. The shooting was an express stop south of our place though in Sunset Park. Plus, I had PT Tuesday morning at 8am, so I was already in Manhattan at that point. Pretty damn scary though! Thank you for thinking about us.

On 4/12/2022 at 10:13 AM, IUFLA said:

Terrible stuff...praying for all of the people affected, but my friend @Lostin76 in particular... Hope he and his wife are safe and sound

Thank you, my wife was working from home and I was already in Manhattan when it happened. That is our line though - N/Q/R - and just south of us. 

On 4/12/2022 at 12:05 PM, Zlinedavid said:

Second this. 

By a strange coincidence, my wife and I were set to take a trip to NYC this week, and we wound up cancelling two weeks ago. 

Oh man, let me know if you guys reschedule and if you want recs of places!

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We use that line to get to work and into Manhattan from our place. The shooting was an express stop south of our place though in Sunset Park. Plus, I had PT Tuesday morning at 8am, so I was already in Manhattan at that point. Pretty damn scary though! Thank you for thinking about us.

Thank you, my wife was working from home and I was already in Manhattan when it happened. That is our line though - N/Q/R - and just south of us. 

Oh man, let me know if you guys reschedule and if you want recs of places!

Good to hear you guys are all safe. So senseless and dumb. Almost becoming numb to these types of things anymore. 

• Like 3