Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

On 9/14/2021 at 2:36 PM, HoosierFaithful said:

Yep, Vox definitely skews a bit to the left, but not overwhelmingly so IMO.  I like it because of the production value/cadence in the way they share the information, not as much the content

image.png.cfdbbb6306fe8adc31cc2aab78f25545.png

I haven’t even heard of half the ones on the far left/right/bottom. 😂

Glad my two were top and center: AP and Bloomberg. I like my news like I like my whiskey: straight up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Glad my two were top and center: AP and Bloomberg. I like my news like I like my whiskey: straight up.

I don't need news. The truth comes to me in my lucid dreams. 

Also, if you see a toilet in your dreams, don't use it. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Facts and impact are one of the things that draw me to financial news.  If its big it will be there.  Now Bloomberg himself, well, I watch through the lens knowing there might be some bias sprinkled in.  

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Facts and impact are one of the things that draw me to financial news.  If its big it will be there.  Now Bloomberg himself, well, I watch through the lens knowing there might be some bias sprinkled in.  

There is.  I don't see anyof those organizations as straight up the middle news. I don't believe that exists anymore, but I think it's a huge untapped market.  I know I'd watch personally. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Not to start a fight...honestly...but do you think a magazine started by a Democrat/Politician who ran NYC and ran for President presents the news straight up? I'd say this if it was called Trump magazine etc too. I won't even get started on the AP. I mean this slide is so messed up it's hilarious.

Edited by dgambill

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not to start a fight...honestly...but do you think a magazine started by a Democrat/Politician who ran NYC and ran for President presents the news straight up? I'd say this if it was called Trump magazine etc too. I won't even get started on the AP. I mean this slide is so messed up it's hilarious.

To the slide's credit, it's three years old, but nah...not even close to accurate IMO.😂  You'd have to question the biases of the folks creating the graphic and wonder if Bloomberg funded the project.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47cziaz67sjqdo3a235f

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I mean, their methodology is clearly listed: https://adfontesmedia.com/how-ad-fontes-ranks-news-sources/

Outside of some big data analysis, it seems like a reasonable method.  

On the surface, it seems reasonable. If you dive deeper, there can be all sorts of issues. Are the majority of these people based in a certain city or state and likely to lean one way? What if you have far left balanced by moderate right? An independent who habitually leans left? Was the methodology created to appear neutral yet hide bias? Make certain outlets appear a certain way? 

It reminds me of an advertising technique. Let's say you Google best vacuums and the first ad comes up and promotes a certain brand yet the seemingly objective review is paid for by that brand. 

In today's day and age, you can't take anything at face value. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Reacher said:

On the surface, it seems reasonable. If you dive deeper, there can be all sorts of issues. Are the majority of these people based in a certain city or state and likely to lean one way? What if you have far left balanced by moderate right? An independent who habitually leans left? Was the methodology created to appear neutral yet hide bias? Make certain outlets appear a certain way? 

It reminds me of an advertising technique. Let's say you Google best vacuums and the first ad comes up and promotes a certain brand yet the seemingly objective review is paid for by that brand. 

In today's day and age, you can't take anything at face value. 

That’s also why you use ad blockers. 

On 9/25/2021 at 2:32 PM, HoosierFaithful said:

Feels like a lot of if’s and buts in that rebuttal. 

Just something to think about....

In  other news, anyone following the gas crisis in the UK? Up to 90% of stations may go dry by today. A shortage of truck drivers caused panic buying and now they have a serious mess on their hands. I shudder to think what would happen if that occurred here. Hard to imagine a modern society where we can't keep the electricity on or the gas pumps full.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-09-23/hgv-driver-shortage-bp-poised-to-ration-fuel-deliveries-amid-supply-problems

https://news.yahoo.com/uk-gas-stations-running-dry-094635861.html

Great analysis of the conditions that led up to this-

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/What-Experts-Are-Getting-Wrong-About-The-UK-Energy-Crisis.html

In the last year, we have seen TX and CA with major supply issues, now the UK and China. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-power-crunch-spreads-shutting-060437092.html

Make sure you have a generator, or at least some firewood, as we head towards winter.

Edited by Reacher

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-judge-pablo-escobar-s-cocaine-hippos-legally-people/ar-AAPWmp6?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

A United States federal judge, with apparently nothing better to do, has ruled that hippos that are running amok in Columbia (after being brought to the country by drug lord Pablo Escobar) are legally people.

I've not bothered to try and understand why this designation was argued in U.S. court instead of a court in Columbia.  But, either way, it's a head scratcher.  Is there not a better way to protect the rights of the hippo than to declare them 'people'?

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-judge-pablo-escobar-s-cocaine-hippos-legally-people/ar-AAPWmp6?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

A United States federal judge, with apparently nothing better to do, has ruled that hippos that are running amok in Columbia (after being brought to the country by drug lord Pablo Escobar) are legally people.

I've not bothered to try and understand why this designation was argued in U.S. court instead of a court in Columbia.  But, either way, it's a head scratcher.  Is there not a better way to protect the rights of the hippo than to declare them 'people'?

Just wait until we get done settling the male/female/37 other varieties issue...

Educating the youth in Kentucky

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/kentucky-high-school-staff-members-got-lap-dances-from-students-photos-appear-to-show/ar-AAQ1fIx?ocid=undefined

The superintendent of an Eastern Kentucky school district said "appropriate disciplinary action has been taken" after photos surfaced showing students giving lap dances to staff as part of Hazard High School's homecoming week festivities.

• Sad 1