Will Juwan Morgan be here next season ?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.  He will be here, but not for the reason you listed.  I think he could make an NBA roster, but would not yet be a first round draft pick.  He's got a good enough head on his shoulder to see the benefits of an extra year.  Plus, he's smart enough to realize that next year could be very good at IU. 

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yes.  He will be here, but not for the reason you listed.  I think he could make an NBA roster, but would not yet be a first round draft pick.  He's got a good enough head on his shoulder to see the benefits of an extra year.  Plus, he's smart enough to realize that next year could be very good at IU. 

Interesting.  Others from IU have gone the D league route, only to move up.  And I am sure that Juwan is aware of that. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Interesting.  Others from IU have gone the D league route, only to move up.  And I am sure that Juwan is aware of that. 

I don't consider the D League as the most effective way to make it in the NBA.  Yogi is a very rare case, and even he got very fortunate that Mark Cuban was an IU grad.  

Only way he is not back is if he transfers, he is nowhere near NBA ready. What would he play on the next level? He isn't really big enough to play the 4 and can't shoot well enough to be a 3. I also think he would struggle on defense with either position whether it be lack of lateral quickness to cover the 3 position or lack of size and strength to cover the 4.

He has had a nice season and seems to be thriving in the new system but he is a long ways from being a NBA prospect at this point. I am not even sure he will end up 1st team all big this year, there is a lot of good players that he is against at the 4 this year. Wagner with Michigan, Edwards, Bates Diop, Jackson, Bridges, etc...

I think he'll declare and then end up coming back. I'm sure he would end up in someone's camp somewhere, but I don't see him getting drafted at this point. He'd likely spend some time in the D League. I think for Juwan to really have a good shot at the NBA he needs to develop his 3 ball even more. If he had a reliable 3 then I think he would easily be drafted.

4 hours ago, Riverrat said:

Only way he is not back is if he transfers, he is nowhere near NBA ready. What would he play on the next level? He isn't really big enough to play the 4 and can't shoot well enough to be a 3. I also think he would struggle on defense with either position whether it be lack of lateral quickness to cover the 3 position or lack of size and strength to cover the 4.

He has had a nice season and seems to be thriving in the new system but he is a long ways from being a NBA prospect at this point. I am not even sure he will end up 1st team all big this year, there is a lot of good players that he is against at the 4 this year. Wagner with Michigan, Edwards, Bates Diop, Jackson, Bridges, etc...

I think he could for sure be a 4 the way the nba is played right now. Thad Young starts for the Pacers and has had a really nice season 12 6 and 2 are his avgs and Juwan is bigger and plays bigger than Thad. 

10 hours ago, milehiiu said:

They have, it’s true.

One wonders if there is wisdom in going that route with a year of eligibility at a top flight school still in the barrel.

Also, perhaps D league for guys like Blackmon because they were, frankly, tired of being involved in the Crean show. 

I do not think he is an NBA player.   He is a good athlete, shooter, rebounder, defender, and ball handler.   However, I don't think 'good' is enough.  I hope I am wrong, as I think he has improved, continues to work hard, and seems like a good kid off the court.

Yes - he's not really much of an NBA prospect yet. 

He needs to develop a consistent three point shot for NBA teams to pick up interest. But if he does that, he becomes a very viable NBA prospect - every team is looking for guys with good size who have the potential to be versatile defenders and can shoot from outside.

Glad someone brought this up. I'll be very surprised if Juwan is here next year. I remember him doing an interview before the season or last summer about OG/Thomas saying you have to hurry up and get to the league. The way he said it made me think he's gone. Hope not. I think he could play himself into the first round next year. 

I think he could use another season to show a consistent jumper and sort of be “the man” for a full year to get his name on the map more.  This season his jumper has been too inconsistent to be a viable 3 & D guy in the NBA. With a knockdown jumper he has a chance though. 

At this point, i'm right at 50:50. Good thing is he's shown a good level of consistency, and his game's been developing fast this season. I think right now he's playing with great confidence. IMO, he's 'reliable 3-point shooter' away from the next level. As he makes more 3-point shots at or above 35%, his stock will continue to rise. 

Another thing to mention is that the next draft seems to be loaded, which could become a factor.

My opinion, he is gone. I don't think there is anything he could come back to prove that he wouldn't be able to learn / show in the D league.

He isn't getting any taller. He has shown he can play D, rebound, knock down jump shots, plays hard and hustles, and is very effective running the offense through him. He is a jack of all trades, but he isn't going to become an elite shooter or improve to an elite level at any of those enough to justify coming back.

Just my opinion.

8 minutes ago, IUaic said:

My opinion, he is gone. I don't think there is anything he could come back to prove that he wouldn't be able to learn / show in the D league.

He isn't getting any taller. He has shown he can play D, rebound, knock down jump shots, plays hard and hustles, and is very effective running the offense through him. He is a jack of all trades, but he isn't going to become an elite shooter or improve to an elite level at any of those enough to justify coming back.

Just my opinion.

He hasn't shown he can shoot with any consistency. Over the last two seasons he's a 25% 3-pt shooter, which is the equivalent to a mid-range jumper in the NBA. Certainly early on in an NBA career he'd be a 3 & D guy, but he hasn't shown he can hit a jumper, let alone an NBA 3, with any consistency. 

He could certainly work on that in the G-League, but I think at this point he'd probably go undrafted. Maybe he's OK with that, but I think another year of spending all summer just shooting and extending his range and being a CPOY candidate would increase his value.

It depends on how important he feels getting drafted is. 

58 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He hasn't shown he can shoot with any consistency. Over the last two seasons he's a 25% 3-pt shooter, which is the equivalent to a mid-range jumper in the NBA. Certainly early on in an NBA career he'd be a 3 & D guy, but he hasn't shown he can hit a jumper, let alone an NBA 3, with any consistency. 

He could certainly work on that in the G-League, but I think at this point he'd probably go undrafted. Maybe he's OK with that, but I think another year of spending all summer just shooting and extending his range and being a CPOY candidate would increase his value.

It depends on how important he feels getting drafted is. 

I think that last sentence is key. Does he want to work on his game while taking classes or does he feel he can follow the path Troy and Yogi did to the NBA or some other paid professional basketball team?

I didn't realize his 3% was that low, but we have had 3 players in the past few years go undrafted and 2 of them made it to the NBA. Don't know right now where JBJ ended up, but I assume he is getting paid to play somewhere.

My gut just tells me that if the opportunity to leave early and work your way into a pro league and a healthy paycheck is there, most players make that jump. 

^^ Yes, he needs to demonstrate a consistent 3-point shot to improve his chances of being drafted. He's been very good this season, but "NBA good?" He's not exceptionally athletic or explosive, but he's turned into a really, really good all-around player. For the League, he needs to add a spread-the-floor game, without the elite athleticism. I think he has the skill level to get there, but I don't think he's there yet on what he needs to make an NBA roster.

3 minutes ago, IUaic said:

I think that last sentence is key. Does he want to work on his game while taking classes or does he feel he can follow the path Troy and Yogi did to the NBA or some other paid professional basketball team?

I didn't realize his 3% was that low, but we have had 3 players in the past few years go undrafted and 2 of them made it to the NBA. Don't know right now where JBJ ended up, but I assume he is getting paid to play somewhere.

My gut just tells me that if the opportunity to leave early and work your way into a pro league and a healthy paycheck is there, most players make that jump. 

Morgan is a completely different player than those guys.

Troy already had NBA athleticism, and his 3-point shot was starting to show. He just needed to improve his outside shooting. Morgan needs to improve outside shooting but he does not have that explosive NBA athleticism, it's more important to Morgan than it was for Troy. Yogi is and was an elite point guard, with the quickness, the elite 3-point shot, and the demonstrated years of leading his team to Ws. His size held him back.  JBJ is and was an elite outside shooter, but lacks that NBA-level athleticism and the scouts/GM's had concerns about his ability to guard NBA players, for good reason. If Morgan develops a consistent outside shot, then, because of his D and all-around game, I think he'll find a home.

49 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

No idea if he will stay or go but I have always thought he plays similarly to Draymond. 

This is exactly what i think.  Green wasn't a good 3 point shooter.  Wasn't that athletic in college and was more of a banger and hustle guy.  I could see a team comparing him to Green and looking at how he fits in with Golden State and pick him up in the late 2nd round. 

Not sure if he goes this year or not but i think he can find his way onto a team.  He does shoot a better 3 when open and the NBA gives up alot of open 3s.  But he tests the waters regardless and then decides, just like everyone else the last couple years.

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

This is exactly what i think.  Green wasn't a good 3 point shooter.  Wasn't that athletic in college and was more of a banger and hustle guy.  I could see a team comparing him to Green and looking at how he fits in with Golden State and pick him up in the late 2nd round. 

Not sure if he goes this year or not but i think he can find his way onto a team.  He does shoot a better 3 when open and the NBA gives up alot of open 3s.  But he tests the waters regardless and then decides, just like everyone else the last couple years.

Their career stats/progression are actually really similar. Green was able to break out a bit his junior year and raised his 3-pt shooting to the mid-30's, then he came back for his senior year and completely took over as CPOY and an AA. He even raised his 3-pt shooting to the high 30's as a senior. I think Draymond is a good example of how coming back can raise your stock to a high 2nd pick for someone similar to Juwan. 

Archived