Movies

MoyeCowbell

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

👍

There are lines that  never be crossed. That is one of them. As a professional and long standing host, Chris Rock should have the understanding not to say something like that. 

You don't get to say whatever you want just because you are a comedian, Will Smith proved that. 

Actually you do and Rock will be laughing all the way to the bank. They are called jokes for a reason. I think we are all smart enough to know what is said on stage and what a non comedian would say in general are 2 different things and should be addressed differently.

About 20 years ago I had front row seat to see Gallagher the comedian, I got hit in the face with a big hunk of watermelon I did not go on stage and hit him. If someone had done that as I am walking down the street I might have handled it differently. I think we are all making a big deal about nothing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Losing hair for a woman is a pretty big deal. 

People overcome a helluva lot worse, and there are always wigs...

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

👍

There are line that should never be crossed. That is one of them. As a professional and long standing host, Chris Rock should have the understanding not to say something like that. 

You don't get to say whatever you want just because you are a comedian, Will Smith proved that. 

I've never seen a comedian who didn't insult somebody in some way. Ever see an Andrew "Dice" Clay show? Don Rickles? Eddie Murphy? Dave Chappelle? 

They tell jokes for God's sake. 

I guess Will and Jada think that people see their open marriage and don't joke about that...

So, Smith will smack a man for a joke about her non-debilitating, non-life threatening condition, but doesn't mind another cowboy in the saddle...

Okay 🙄

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Actually you do and Rock will be laughing all the way to the bank. They are called jokes for a reason. I think we are all smart enough to know what is said on stage and what a non comedian would say in general are 2 different things and should be addressed differently.

About 20 years ago I had front row seat to see Gallagher the comedian, I got hit in the face with a big hunk of watermelon I did not go on stage and hit him. If someone had done that as I am walking down the street I might have handled it differently. I think we are all making a big deal about nothing.

There wasn't anything funny about the joke. Your comparison didn't really come close to Rock's tasteless joke. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why does it bother you so much that a comedian took a joke too far and got slapped for it? Like that is exactly what should happen. You should never just be able to run your mouth without ramifications. That is some of the problem with social media. 

It isn't Rock's decision if the joke went too far. 

Obviously this is going no where and I could care less who slaps who. Any man that slaps another man is a big P anyway either punch or sit down He might as well pulled his hair. If you truly felt that Will was offended then why did he laugh at the joke, not a fake laugh he thought it was funny. Doing a COMEDY, a paid job to make people laugh to make people uncomfortable is not running your mouth. 

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've never seen a comedian who didn't insult somebody in some way. Ever see an Andrew "Dice" Clay show? Don Rickles? Eddie Murphy? Dave Chappelle? 

I guess Will and Jada think that people see their open marriage and don't joke about that...

So, Smith will smack a man for a joke about her non-debilitating, non-life threatening condition, but doesn't mind another cowboy in the saddle...

Okay 🙄

We have become way to PC, heaven forbid some people go see a comedian to escape real life for a while and laugh at the expense of others. Such a terrible concept. Its comedy not a big deal. We get offended with every comment, no wonder this world is so screwed up

Just now, IUFLA said:

Okay 🙄

See the problem here is... you are still responsible for your words regardless lol 

You are never off limits. Why would any comedian think that? That is egregious. I'm glad he got slapped, honestly. He deserved it. I hope one of my favorite actors careers isn't ruined for the mistake he made though. And I do categorize what WS did as a mistake. But I see why he did it. 

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Obviously this is going no where and I could care less who slaps who. Any man that slaps another man is a big P anyway either punch or sit down He might as well pulled his hair. If you truly felt that Will was offended then why did he laugh at the joke, not a fake laugh he thought it was funny. Doing a COMEDY, a paid job to make people laugh to make people uncomfortable is not running your mouth. 

Any man that makes jokes about a woman with a disease isn't a man to begin with. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

We have become way to PC, heaven forbid some people go see a comedian to escape real life for a while and laugh at the expense of others. Such a terrible concept. Its comedy not a big deal. We get offended with every comment, no wonder this world is so screwed up

What Will did would be the opposite of PC..... literally. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I have been to probably 50 comedy shows. 

At no time did anything that was said offend anyone. Did you see anyone run up on stage and make a fool of themself.  Probably not most understand that we their is a guy or girl up on stage they are going to say offensive things and don't let it butt hurt you or you will not have a good time. Once again a JOKE, about someone that he had made movies with. 

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

At no time did anything that was said offend anyone. Did you see anyone run up on stage and make a fool of themself.  Probably not most understand that we their is a guy or girl up on stage they are going to say offensive things and don't let it butt hurt you or you will not have a good time. Once again a JOKE, about someone that he had made movies with. 

Just make better jokes? 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Just make better jokes? 

You haven't addressed the fact that if Will Smith is so "protective" of his wife, why does he not care who she sleeps with?

If fact, he goes on talk shows and basically brags about it...

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Please never go to a comedy club I would not want anyone to get their feelings hurt

Or sit close and have a comedian say something to his wife...

@btownqb I'm thinking I'll be reading about you in the paper some day 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

You haven't addressed the fact that if Will Smith is so "protective" of his wife, why does he not care who she sleeps with?

If fact, he goes on talk shows and basically brags about it...

Or sit close and have a comedian say something to his wife...

@btownqb I'm thinking I'll be reading about you in the paper some day 

Pretty lame comment at the end in bold. I have no clue what Will Smith and his wife have agreed on in regards to their marriage. I don't personally know Will Smith. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Pretty lame comment at the end in bold. I have no clue what Will Smith and his wife have agreed on in regards to their marriage. I don't personally know Will Smith. 

Why is it lame? 

If you and your wife were at a comedy club, and a comedian said something suggestive or made fun of your wife in some way, would you smack him?

I've been married to a beautiful woman for close to 40 years. I will guarantee at some point, someone, friend, stranger, comedian, is going to say something offensive to your wife... guaranteed...how are you going to handle it?

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Why is it lame? 

If you and your wife were at a comedy club, and a comedian said something suggestive or made fun of your wife in some way, would you smack him?

I've been married to a beautiful woman for close to 40 years. I will guarantee at some point, someone, friend, stranger, comedian, is going to say something offensive to your wife... guaranteed...how are you going to handle it?

I'm not on trial. Thanks though! I don't need your lecture. 

Edited by btownqb

Gotta weigh in on the Comedy Club thing.  Most comedy club acts talk generically.  You know, something like "I saw a woman on the street corner last week". 

The comedian does not usually point to someone in the audience and say "I saw that woman right there on the street corner last week."

Good grief.  People are crucifying Will Smith worse than they are Putin.

Also think there is a whole lot of hypocrisy in the general public's judgment of what Will Smith did.  I'll leave it at that to avoid breaking board rules.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Why is it lame? 

Gotta side with @btownqbon this one.  It was lame because you made it personal, suggesting he would be publically called out for some act of violence.

We can have this discussion without resorting to that type of jab. Disagreement is fine and a foundational block of a message board.  

• Like 1