PSU Post Game Thread

Inequality

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We all are.  There are things about the culture of the program I just feel are broken right now.  That is hard to establish in one year with a host of new guys. 

We don't go out and win because none of these players have ever been part of a winning program.  They don't know how to do it IMO.

Yep, completely understand. It’s just difficult to watch how soft these guys are down the stretch, how they can’t knock down key FTs or finish in the lane, how they can’t get a stop when needed. I feel like we haven’t seen that culture since Sampson, which is just ridiculous. 

Instead of a coach, maybe this team just needs a therapist. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Very similar feeling. I'm still on-board, don't get me wrong, and I love the staff we've put together when you include Matta and Hill, etc.

I know every new coach needs times, and I was trumpeting the patience horn with Archie, but with that said Woodson is what, 64? This isn't a young hire where he's got 4-6 years to build. 

The move to hire Woodson, a veteran coach (yes, I realize he's a first time college coach) and with the staff he's assembled, to me means a quick rebuild. Woodson doesn't have 4-5 seasons to get this done.  

Yeah with the transfer portal coaches won't get 5 or 6 years of mediocre play anymore, and like you said Coach Woodson is 64 so he has to have a quicker rebuild. That being said i think they can still get things going this season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Very similar feeling. I'm still on-board, don't get me wrong, and I love the staff we've put together when you include Matta and Hill, etc.

I know every new coach needs times, and I was trumpeting the patience horn with Archie, but with that said Woodson is what, 64? This isn't a young hire where he's got 4-6 years to build. 

The move to hire Woodson, a veteran coach (yes, I realize he's a first time college coach) and with the staff he's assembled, to me means a quick rebuild. Woodson doesn't have 4-5 seasons to get this done.  

CMW said he wasn’t coming here to rebuild. He brought in XJ, MK, TB, got TJD to come back, as well as Race. I don’t like this excuse (no offense). He has a better team than CAM has had here and the results are the same so far. NO returning player, IMO, got any better during the off-season, including TJD…. if anything he misses more bunnies than he did in the past. 

6 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I know it's taboo to blame current failures on a previous coach, but I seriously think Archie Miller might have damaged this program beyond repair. 

I don't think you're far off with this. The last 5 minutes of close games we still look very much like an Archie Miller offense. We still look emotionless and like guys that don't know what to do and lack confidence when the game gets tight down the stretch. 

We have poor guard play, yet also have 2 5* guards on the bench that can't get in the game. No, that last sentence isn't a call for Lander, it's just more pointing out that our guys still lack confidence, tenacity, awareness and the ability to knock down shots consistently. There is still a lot of Archie Miller on this program. 

• Like 2

Fork in road came for the program back in ‘08. Only five years removed from a National Championship  appearance there was still recent memory of the once great program we were…but “Oh NO! the phone calls… how awful.” What makes it worse is phone calls is legal now and seeing how other programs stuck by their winning coaches for FAR WORSE transgressions makes it even harder to watch. We stick by ours we probably have a couple FF and a title under our belt instead of going through this “endless pit of misery” that IuBB has become.

I still like our coaching staff but man this loss and the past 20 years has me thinking deja vu. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

CMW said he wasn’t coming here to rebuild. He brought in XJ, MK, TB, got TJD to come back, as well as Race. I don’t like this excuse (no offense). He has a better team than CAM has had here and the results are the same so far. NO returning player, IMO, got any better during the off-season, including TJD…. if anything he misses more bunnies than he did in the past. 

I wasn't making an excuse. I was saying Woodson doesn't get 4-5 years to rebuild. He doesn't get the same luxury as Archie or even Crean. He's a veteran, experienced NBA coach. He doesn't get to miss the tournament this year and maybe squeak in next year and then hope to compete for a 5th place Big Ten finish in year 3. 

He needs to turn this around quicker just based on his age and experience.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I wasn't making an excuse. I was saying Woodson doesn't get 4-5 years to rebuild. He doesn't get the same luxury as Archie or even Crean. He's a veteran, experienced NBA coach. He doesn't get to miss the tournament this year and maybe squeak in next year and then hope to compete for a 5th place Big Ten finish in year 3. 

He needs to turn this around quicker just based on his age and experience.

And based on the ability to use the transfer portal now. 

• Like 2

The lack of development and improvement from Bates, Geronimo and Lander is killing this team too. 

Those are by far the most athletic and potentially dynamic players on the roster, but to varying degrees none are improving or really making an impact. 

Where are we if Bates is having a Blake Wesley type of freshmen year and moving one of Stewart or Kopp to the bench? 

Where are we if Lander could play like a 5* guard?

Where are we if Geronimo was developing like a Troy Williams or OG? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

And based on the ability to use the transfer portal now. 

I have no idea if Woodson will work out, but I want to see the rest of the season play out and how he addresses the roster in the off-season.  I think we'll be in good shape if he realizes this the team is not talented enough to be a contender in the conference, and is willing and able to do something about it. I liked the additions of XJ, Kopp, and the Bates signing, but I don't think that was enough for a team that finished below .500 last season and lost two starters and a rotation player.  Need to increase the talent level, even if it means some guys end up leaving.  Definitely need more guys that create offense for others and themselves.

• Like 2

I didn’t watch the game because it’s a pro football Sunday. I recorded it so maybe I will look later to see what went wrong.

Looking at the box score, should we be running Stewart and even Kopp off of screens to get them open looks?

When we have stretches of not securing boards, especially at the defensive end, maybe a guy like Geronimo could fix that.   And he could be a screener too.  

Who do we have as a “plus” athlete for his position?  Not many.  And we are very unathletic at the wing.  You need skill too, I get that, but we don’t have the athleticism to be a top team.  But, to make chicken salad out of chicken-you-know-what for the time being, run shooters off screens, IMO.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I didn’t watch the game because it’s a pro football Sunday. I recorded it so maybe I will look later to see what went wrong.

Looking at the box score, should we be running Stewart and even Kopp off s screens to get them open looks?

When we have stretches of not securing boards, especially at the defensive end, maybe a guy like Geronimo could fix that.   And he could be a screener too.  

Who do we have as a “plus” athlete for his position?  Not many.  And we are very unathletic at the wing.  You need skill too, I get that, but we don’t have the athleticism to be a top team.  But, to make chicken salad out of chicken-you-know-what for the time being, run shooters off screens, IMO.

Your "plus athlete" comment and our lack of athleticism on the wing is partly where I was getting at with my post about the lack of development from Bates, Lander and Geronimo hurting the team. 

IU absolutely lacks athleticism, especially on the wing, compared to top teams. 

Remember the last time we won the conference? We had Yogi, Troy Williams, Thomas Bryant and OG...all great athletes. 

We haven't had guys like that in a long time. Those are pro's. We don't have pro's right now. 

Doesn't mean we can't be good, but we desperately need our athletes to develop. 

• Like 2