Places to stay. Vacations, weekend trips, anniversary ect.

mrflynn03

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I drive everywhere I go. For one, I don't like someone else being in control of my ride. But if I didn't drive I would miss out on a lot of cool stuff. Like my half day detour to everglades national park or petting key deer in the Big Pine key nature preserve. 

Or the hooker I picked up my trip to Memphis when I was 18. I thought it was a lady that just needed a ride. She wasn't dressed like the ones in the movies. I said no thanks when I figured it out and sent her on her way. Stupid friends didn't say anything to help me out. 

Had a friend that liked to drive around South Bend and stop and mess with the girls like he was a John only to turn them away!

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

@IUFLA could probably speak more on this. I know there have been some close calls in the sky lately on East Coast. Maybe this has something to do with it? Don't remember a travel warning before because of lack of ATC's.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/air-traffic-controller-shortage-faa-nyc-flights-cut-summer-2023

The pandemic didn't help... As the article says, training basically stopped for 2 years...

The northeast has been notoriously hard to staff for a long time. Cost of living is so high, that many people don't want to work there. There's also the congestion of having a lot of busy airports (Newark, JFK, LaGuardia) in such close proximity to each other. Very tough places to get checked out and work.

When I went through USAF ATC tech school in 1980, 22 of us started, 11 finished, and only 4 of us finished on time (they'd let you repeat 1 of the 5 course modules if you failed it, but after that it was off to food services or security police if you failed a 2nd time). Then, you would lose another 10% out in the field due to washouts... So it's a tough job...

Automation (which is what I do now) helps take some of the decision making (and stress) off the controllers, but it is a stressful job. The manning shortages makes it so you get shorter breaks...normally an hour to 90 minutes on position is the standard and 30 minutes was about the least amount of time I wanted someone on break. An hour was optimum. You start getting people shorter than 30 minutes off position, you're risking burn out and other things... So less manning also leads to that vicious cycle... 

• Like 2

Speaking of they are opening the books in early May... 

If you know any young (under 31) people that meet these initial qualifications... 

Be a U.S. citizen

Be registered for Selective Service, if applicable (Required for males born after 12/31/1959) 

Be younger than 31 years old before the closing date of the application period (with limited exceptions)

Have either three years of general work experience or four years of education leading to a bachelor’s degree, or a combination of both

Speak English clearly enough to be understood over communications equipment

Be willing to relocate to an FAA facility based on agency staffing needs

let them know about this...pays well ($150 K + at an enroute facility...over 6 figures at busy terminal facilities... I think the least you can make is $48K) benefits can't be beat... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just to give y'all an idea what the skies are like every day (took these screenshots about 2 minutes ago) nationwide, and around the New York Metro artea...

image.png.d60f6f013f256a03fae7afe96ecc1b54.png

image.png.4d8da812a1e95d5b48f2ff215dcb2a18.png

What about pilots? Seems like there would be a high attrition rate.  Can't imagine spending life just flying around everywhere. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just to give y'all an idea what the skies are like every day (took these screenshots about 2 minutes ago) nationwide, and around the New York Metro artea...

My buddy was part of the crew that did O'Hare expansion and he's been involved in some of the stuff at Indy. I'm always amazed at how much is actually going on above us while were on the ground. Very cool stuff but imagine stressful. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

What about pilots? Seems like there would be a high attrition rate.  Can't imagine spending life just flying around everywhere. 

As far as stress goes, it's like I told a Northwest pilot who was bitching once back in the day, "You have one airplane to worry about...I have 17." :) 

But yeah, we need more pilots too...

• Like 2

On 4/13/2023 at 1:35 PM, IUFLA said:

Speaking of they are opening the books in early May... 

Be younger than 31 years old before the closing date of the application period (with limited exceptions)

Age discrimination?  What can a 31 year old do that a 32 year old can't?

Edited by 5fouls

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I thought Atlanta was the busiest airport in the world.  Doesn't look top 5 in U.S. from that image.

Edited by 5fouls

Just now, 5fouls said:

Age discrimination?  What can a 31 year old do that a 32 year old can't?

You have to be younger than 31 when you start.

All ATC applicants must be 30 or younger on the closing date of the application period to qualify for the position, according to the FAA. This is because the agency has determined through extensive research that the older someone is, the harder is it for them to complete the rigorous training.

However, those that already have air traffic control experience can be hired up to 35 years of age, according to the agency

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I thought Atlanta was the busiest airport in the world.  Doesn't look top 5 in U.S. from that image.

Looks like there's weather around the ATL when I took the screenshot... So that could be some of it...

Screenshot_20230414-174405.thumb.png.542dcebeb2a8e92cc6e954e80e76d8b1.png

If I took a morning screenshot of any of the NY airports, ATL, ORD, Houston (IAH Bush is the busiest, but we have HOU Hobby as well), or LAX they'd all be a lot busier

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You have to be younger than 31 when you start.

All ATC applicants must be 30 or younger on the closing date of the application period to qualify for the position, according to the FAA. This is because the agency has determined through extensive research that the older someone is, the harder is it for them to complete the rigorous training.

However, those that already have air traffic control experience can be hired up to 35 years of age, according to the agency

Is there a mandatory retirement age that could affect the age cutoff for applicants?

16 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Looks like there's weather around the ATL when I took the screenshot... So that could be some of it...

If I took a morning screenshot of any of the NY airports, ATL, ORD, Houston (IAH Bush is the busiest, but we have HOU Hobby as well), or LAX they'd all be a lot busier

Weather. Or the fact that there are multiple airports in the NYC area which leads to increased congestion. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It's comforting knowing that while we are flying ✈️, @IUFLA has his feet up as he scrolls thru HSN 😂

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Weather. Or the fact that there are multiple airports in the NYC area which leads to increased congestion. 

I hated working when the weather was bad...All the airplanes have weather radar, and they all see the same holes they can go through...Funnel effect...

• Like 1

I hate flying and the rigamarole around flights so much. I’m not scared of them or anything. I just hate the lining up, the waiting, the people, and getting back and forth from the airport. If I can drive instead or take a train, I will always choose that. 

When we flew home from London a couple of weeks ago, we had left our car at JFK. We landed at 2pm and I finally parked our car at home at 7pm. JFK is 10 miles from our house but we had to drive into Manhattan to pick up our dog from the sitter, and then get back to Brooklyn. This ended up being in rush hour and literally every foot of movement was total bumper to bumper with honking. Of course it took over an hour to find a parking place. 

Getting home from the airport took exactly one hour less than our flight from London. So, I guess it’s not the actual flying - it’s all the crap that goes with it. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I hate flying and the rigamarole around flights so much. I’m not scared of them or anything. I just hate the lining up, the waiting, the people, and getting back and forth from the airport. If I can drive instead or take a train, I will always choose that. 

When we flew home from London a couple of weeks ago, we had left our car at JFK. We landed at 2pm and I finally parked our car at home at 7pm. JFK is 10 miles from our house but we had to drive into Manhattan to pick up our dog from the sitter, and then get back to Brooklyn. This ended up being in rush hour and literally every foot of movement was total bumper to bumper with honking. Of course it took over an hour to find a parking place. 

Getting home from the airport took exactly one hour less than our flight from London. So, I guess it’s not the actual flying - it’s all the crap that goes with it. 

I've been thinking about taking a trip using a train.  I can get tickets from Indy to Burlington, VT for cheaper than driving.  I've wanted to see Vermont or New Hampshire for a long time. 

I can sleep and read on a train and I've been through PA and Ohio enough times already.

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Oh, I'm with you there...

I wish they'd just give you a shot that knocks you out, and then stack everybody like cordwood until the trip is over...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Oh, I'm with you there...

I wish they'd just give you a shot that knocks you out, and then stack everybody like cordwood until the trip is over...

Oh god yes. The dumbasses in boarding group 9 who are already standing in line to board when the pre-boarding starts. “Have you people never flown before?” Your anxiety and impatience will not make things go quicker. 

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've been thinking about taking a trip using a train.  I can get tickets from Indy to Burlington, VT for cheaper than driving.  I've wanted to see Vermont or New Hampshire for a long time. 

I can sleep and read on a train and I've been through PA and Ohio enough times already.

Vermont and New Hampshire are both so nice. Vermont in particular is beautiful country. The first time we drove up into Vermont it took me so long to figure out why it ws so beautiful and calming - they don’t have billboards or huge advertising signs roadside. NONE. 

You kind of get numb to just how ugly the US is when you are on the road b/c of the constant barrage of ads and worthless signs, so it took me some time to realize what was different. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Oh god yes. The dumbasses in boarding group 9 who are already standing in line to board when the pre-boarding starts. “Have you people never flown before?” Your anxiety and impatience will not make things go quicker. 

Vermont and New Hampshire are both so nice. Vermont in particular is beautiful country. The first time we drove up into Vermont it took me so long to figure out why it ws so beautiful and calming - they don’t have billboards or huge advertising signs roadside. NONE. 

You kind of get numb to just how ugly the US is when you are on the road b/c of the constant barrage of ads and worthless signs, so it took me some time to realize what was different. 

Missouri and Georgia are the worst with the billboards. Missouri has so many XXX boards and Georgia is all about the me love you long time "massages".

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Missouri and Georgia are the worst with the billboards. Missouri has so many XXX boards and Georgia is all about the me love you long time "massages".

I don’t remember those signs in Georgia? Maybe because I wasn’t on the interstate.

22 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I don’t know why we allow that BS. Every time I come back here from somewhere else I realize how much of sh#thole country we have allowed ourselves to be at the bosom on advertising and the almighty dollar. 

Edited by Lostin76
  • Like 1