Maryland Post Game Thread

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not able to watch but listened to the second half. AH sounded crazy and Fisch was livid over some of the foul calls.

Little too close at the end with missed free throws but glad that they scrapped and fought through.

Again, didn't see the game but it sounded like Green was out of control or forcing things too much 

Crowd was late to show up, but did a great job in the last 10 minutes. Some terrible, terrible, terrible officiating. Some of the worst I have seen this season, at least that I can recall anyways. Newkirk about killed me with that late turnover. Overall great win. Juwan is legit.

Just now, madmax said:

Some awful officiating. Crowd was late to show up, but did a great job in the last 10 minutes. Some terrible, terrible, terrible officiating. Some of the worst I have seen this season, at least that I can recall anyways. Newkirk about killed me with that late turnover. Overall great win. Juwan is legit.

Yeah it was pretty pathetic.  Not sure if the worst call was Newkirk's offensive foul as he was being put in a headlock or Juwan's offensive foul when the guy was in the middle of the circle.  

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah it was pretty pathetic.  Not sure if the worst call was Newkirk's offensive foul as he was being put in a headlock or Juwan's offensive foul when the guy was in the middle of the circle.  

The worst one I saw was where Morgan had his foot kicked out from under him and is called for a travel.  

I knew Morgan was a solid player. I expected him to be a nice piece to the team this year. But I did not expect what we are witnessing from him. I'm just in awe at the effort on both ends, the skill he is showing and the overall patience and maturity. I couldn't be happier for the kid. 

9 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

It is coaches vs cancer week.  Archie needs to shorten the bench to 8 players, leaving Newkirk and Freddie out of the mix.  Would rather see Clifton Moore get some spot minutes instead of Freddie.  Three guard rotation of Rojo, Greene and Durham.

How do you justify Durham and Green getting all of Newkirks minutes? 

28 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

It is coaches vs cancer week.  Archie needs to shorten the bench to 8 players, leaving Newkirk and Freddie out of the mix.  Would rather see Clifton Moore get some spot minutes instead of Freddie.  Three guard rotation of Rojo, Greene and Durham.

Green and Durham have looked abysmal recently 

Was at the game. Got completely hosed by the refs, as we all know.

At around the 5 minute mark, after a couple horrid calls, Archie realized we weren't winning this without something "more". That we needed something to help us rise above the officials. 

It was at that time, he looked at the student section...and for the first time I've seen this year...waved for them to get up and make some noise. 

And boooooy was that received well by the student section. The entire stadium stood for the remainder of the game.

Great win. That was a really important game for both teams. As has been said, Juwan is a beast. Solid game for Smith, RoJo was great defensively again, and McRoberts did McRoberts things. 

Geez, outside of RoJo our guards were a hot mess offensively. It’s homestly stunning we won with the way they played offensively. 

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Great win. That was a really important game for both teams. As has been said, Juwan is a beast. Solid game for Smith, RoJo was great defensively again, and McRoberts did McRoberts things. 

Geez, outside of RoJo our guards were a hot mess offensively. It’s homestly stunning we won with the way they played offensively. 

Also add in the fact that we lost 3 of the 4 most important statistical categories... 3-pt shooting, free throw shooting, and rebounds...with the latter not even close.

Quite the testament to the fight in our guys.

I kind of get frustrated with comments saying JN and FM should be left out of the rotation. AD and DG have had ample amounts of opportunities to "unseat" JN for mins and neither have performed well enough on a consistent basis to warrant more mins. 

2 games ago FM (NW when JM got 2 quick fls) had 4p 5r 2a in 17mins of work. Not bad numbers at all.. I wish Moore would take those mins as well, but he has to earn them and develop trust in the coaching staff (same with AD and DG). 

Green, Durham, and Moore haven't earned more mins.. bottom line. 

5-3 at this point is just really, really impressive. I know some will say weak conference, drinking IU Kool Aid,etc....but with this roster and team to have us at 5-3 down Davis is just awesome. 

Maybe a team starts to take on a persona of it's coach? Can't wait to see what we have with some more talent. 

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

How do you justify Durham and Green getting all of Newkirks minutes? 

Newkirk is a senior that adds very little value IMO.  Green and Durham are both underclassman with significant upside.  They will only get better with more playing time.  This school of thought is more with an eye to the future.  I just don’t see where Newkirk (or Freddie) offers any value, especially in tight games.  

8 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

Newkirk is a senior that adds very little value IMO.  Green and Durham are both underclassman with significant upside.  They will only get better with more playing time.  This school of thought is more with an eye to the future.  I just don’t see where Newkirk (or Freddie) offers any value, especially in tight games.  

You don't play kids in college based on potential. Newkirk overall has still been a fair amount better than those two. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

You don't play kids in college based on potential. Newkirk overall has still been a fair amount better than those two. 

I understand wanting to get Green and Durham minutes but I agree with this as well. Newkirk has played better and maybe it's me...but Green and Durham need to tighten up their handles. Feel sometimes like I'm waiting for a turnover. 

Archived