IU vs UI pre-game thread

If we finish a clear cut 5th place in conference, and do not totally flame out in the BTT, I do believe that we will be on the NCAA bubble.  The selection committee will be looking for any reason to select a 5th team from the Big Ten over a random mid-major.  That said, to ensure a clear-cut 5th place, we have to win all games we should and steal a couple of thise we shouldn't.  We especially cannot afford any more bad losses, and this would be one.

I'll say this though.  It is extremely frustrating that KenPom still likes Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa more than IU.  And, a win over Illinois, even a road one, is not going to change that much.  We need to win 2 of the 3 home games over the Big Three in the conference.

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'll say this though.  It is extremely frustrating that KenPom still likes Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa more than IU.  And, a win over Illinois, even a road one, is not going to change that much.  We need to win 2 of the 3 home games over the Big Three in the conference.

Not really frustrating if you don't give Kenpom much respect to begin with. I have two very good sources that IU is better than those teams. My right and left eye. Clearly those teams aren't superior to IU considering we are 3-1 vs them. I like analytics as one of many things to consider when ranking teams but when Kenpom releases numbers like that...it's hard to take seriously. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Not really frustrating if you don't give Kenpom much respect to begin with. I have two very good sources that IU is better than those teams. My right and left eye. Clearly those teams aren't superior to IU considering we are 3-1 vs them. I like analytics as one of many things to consider when ranking teams but when Kenpom releases numbers like that...it's hard to take seriously. 

Your eyes probably also saw us go 0-2 vs Indiana State and IPFW, at home, by a combined 41 points. Are those teams clearly superior to IU?

1 minute ago, Shooter said:

Your eyes probably also saw us go 0-2 vs Indiana State and IPFW, at home, by a combined 41 points. Are those teams clearly superior to IU?

Not one bit. I also hope most understand the difference between Nov 10th and Dec 18th basketball vs late January. We play those teams again we win by combined 41. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Not one bit. I also hope most understand the difference between Nov 10th and Dec 18th basketball vs late January. We play those teams again we win by combined 41. 

Interesting. The game vs Fort Wayne on December 18 was too long ago to matter. But the game vs Iowa on December 4 gets counted in your 3-1 sample? It's almost like you are just counting the games where we played well and ignoring the ones where we didn't...

The ratings systems like Kenpom, Sagarin, etc don't do that. They look at all the games. So why are we rated 96th? Because we're 12-8 and got destroyed by two mediocre mid majors at home.

7 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Interesting. The game vs Fort Wayne on December 18 was too long ago to matter. But the game vs Iowa on December 4 gets counted in your 3-1 sample? It's almost like you are just counting the games where we played well and ignoring the ones where we didn't...

The ratings systems like Kenpom, Sagarin, etc don't do that. They look at all the games. So why are we rated 96th? Because we're 12-8 and got destroyed by two mediocre mid majors at home.

Using ratings systems like Kenpom as an absolute (not sure  if you do or don't) is a mistake. To your point should games count the same that are played in November or December have the same weight as games in February or March? Clearly I and hope many don't see it that way. 

Edit-back to original thread. Feed Morgan and we can win. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If we finish a clear cut 5th place in conference, and do not totally flame out in the BTT, I do believe that we will be on the NCAA bubble.  The selection committee will be looking for any reason to select a 5th team from the Big Ten over a random mid-major.  That said, to ensure a clear-cut 5th place, we have to win all games we should and steal a couple of thise we shouldn't.  We especially cannot afford any more bad losses, and this would be one.

I agree. My crimson glasses probably think we are closer to the tournament than you think we are, but your post is very unbiased.

We have to go 2-1 or 3-0 against Purdue, MSU, OSU. 

Purdue is gonna lose a game or 2. That's just the B1G. Looking at their schedule, their 2 biggest threats are @IU and @MSU. Much, much crazier losses have occurred than PU @ IU. I don't see any other potential losses for them. I'll be surprised if we are more than 5 point underdogs on Sunday. We will be favored against O$U. And the chip on our shoulder when Sparty comes to town will be huge. Again, admittedly, rosy colored glasses, but I don't think any of that is false. It's just whether we take care of business or not.

Win or lose tonight, the Hall will be rockin hard on Sunday...and I think the team will be too. So much so, that I worry about our focus tonight.

Archived