2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's all we can ask for. When fans of both teams quit on the season earlier this year I think all we could ask for is August baseball that matters. 

Hopefully Steele bails us out tonight. Few rough starts in a row for Stroman.

I am curious as to what the starting line-up tonight will be for the Cubs.  Happ and Suzuki need to pick it up.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

That's all we can ask for. When fans of both teams quit on the season earlier this year I think all we could ask for is August baseball that matters. 

Hopefully Steele bails us out tonight. Few rough starts in a row for Stroman.

Despite my posting of the 'L' flag, I have no animosity to the Cubs.  I've always had an affinity for Wrigley field, and loved the daytime only baseball of the past.

They would who I would be rooting for if the Reds were not in it.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Despite my posting of the 'L' flag, I have no animosity to the Cubs.  I've always had an affinity for Wrigley field, and loved the daytime only baseball of the past.

They would who I would be rooting for if the Reds were not in it.  

Wouldn't it be something if 3 teams from the NL Central made the play-offs after all the "trash talking" the pundits did earlier in the season?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I think college sports are more profitable than they've ever been. 

But, I agree about baseball. 

Their viewership, attendance, everything is up. Like 8% or something. 

I'm down on college athletics, and it's probably irreversible to me.  

1) The breakup of the conferences I grew up watching.  IU vs UCLA is a great non-conference or tournament matchup, but a 'whatever' conference tilt.

2) I like 4 year players.  It's who I am.  Woodson, Alford, Cheaney, Bailey, Henderson, Watford, Yogi, and TJD.  They will forever mean 'IU' to me more than JHS, Romeo, Zeller, EG, etc.  I don't have any animosity to those guys, and appreciate what they did for the team when they were here, but they just weren't here long enough to create the level of connection that the 4 year guys did.

3) Player Free Agency.  Look, I get it.  The players absolutely deserve the gains they have made in this regard.  But, and it's tied to both the items above.  Not only do I like continuity with IU, I like it with their opponents as well.  Continuity builds rivalries and the better you, as a fan, know the opponent, the more enjoyable it is.  Would IU fans have grown to despise Brad Davison as much if he had transferred to Texas or Virginia after his sophomore year at Wisconsin?  No, it just would not have happened.  But, because he DIDN'T transfer, it made watching Wisconsin more of a thing to do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I have nominated myself president of the Will Benson Fan Club. Reminds me a lot of Devin Taylor on IU's team. Lefty, always smiling, fierce competitor. I greatly enjoy watching him play. 

Bell needs to move him up in the order.  I think he can put up Joe Morgan BRM numbers.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I have nominated myself president of the Will Benson Fan Club. Reminds me a lot of Devin Taylor on IU's team. Lefty, always smiling, fierce competitor. I greatly enjoy watching him play. 

Where he is as a  hitter now compared to the beginning of the year is incredible.  His emergence means as much, or more, than the arrival of De La Cruz.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rico said:

Bell needs to move him up in the order.  I think he can put up Joe Morgan BRM numbers.

I kinda disagree with your guys opinions on the lineup moves, but.. I also don't think I'd call any moves "a wrong move" either. 

IMO-- he's successful, mightily successful where he is... so I wouldn't mess with it. Maybe alter where others are.. but, what if Elly stay solid? You flip the line with Benson on base, that has value.. 

But, what I referenced at the beginning, if they do move him.. fine by me, dude is a stud. I think McClain, Fraley are set 3/4.. Friedl is batting 1 or 2... hate to take Ellys speed from the top of the order.. 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Where he is as a  hitter now compared to the beginning of the year is incredible.  His emergence means as much, or more, than the arrival of De La Cruz.

I agree. Also .. big time unsung hero. Jake Fraley. He's just flat out good. Above average (maybe not plus, but very close) defender. Like Benson. Also.. Friedl fits that description. 

None of those guys are plus defenders.. but all three for sure above average. 

Elly ++, McClain ++, India above average, Votto meh.  Steer is great for utility and imo, is becoming more comfortable defensively. Big DP last night at a spot he hasn't played a ton of in the majors. 

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bennie has the makings of a very special player.  Votto was good for him.

21 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

After the terrible showing over the weekend. it could be a lot. Some are suggesting Stanton, Rizzo, La Mahieu, Torres and anybody not named Judge, Cole or possibly Rodon.

Many are thinking Severino is done after the debacle from last night. He gave up 6 runs before the 1st out was made in the first inning!! He may be available as the Yanks won't re-sign him. Maybe some other team can pick him up for cheap and get him figured out, IDK.

I have said this many times, but Cashman needs to go. He is responsible for this team's roster and his past trade deals leave a lot to be desired.

Forgot to add the Yanks struck out an 18 times last night, uugghh....

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/07/yankees-open-to-offers-on-impending-free-agents.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

It's absolutely better for us. 

Maybe not for us older fans who loved college basketball when it was at its best. What I see today doesn't even look like the same sport that I loved.  I see what 5Fouls is talking about and his point of the NIL and the portal bringing the end of what we liked about college sports

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe not for us older fans who loved college basketball when it was at its best. What I see today doesn't even look like the same sport that I loved.  I see what 5Fouls is talking about and his point of the NIL and the portal bringing the end of what we liked about college sports

Never knew you liked old timey basketball. I thought you were always in favor of change 🙄

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Right now I haven't seen any rumors about the Reds making any moves.  I still want a high leverage late any reliever so you can move Sims and Gibault to lesser roles

Seeing some chatter out there that the Reds are interested in Cease.  Apparently the White Sox have put him on the market.  

It is great these Reds are all veraatile but I do wish Bell would stick with a defense for the stretch run.  Is Elly or McLain the SS of the future?  One day Elly is at short and McLain is at 2nd then one day it is McLain is a short and Elly is at third with Steer at 2nd.  then Steer plays third.  I'd probably go with Elly at short and McLain at 2nd for rest of this year.  Make India the primary DH rest of year as he seems to have been battling thru some nagging injuries early in season and now is on IL. Put steer at 3rd.  Votto and Encarnacion Strand rotate at 1st. I wonder with Elly's arm and speed if he winds up moving to outfield down the road similar to Tatis in SD. I'm not a fan of trading India even in the off season.

For this year I am not to concerned about the lineup.     Eventually, I hope the lineup stays consistent so players know whatto expect day to day.   I think Elly has to much power to not bat 3rd or 4th down the road.  I'd hate to move Friedl from the top but like him at 9.  The Rangers bat Taveras ninth and it works really well.  Maybe next year.

• Like 1