Bob Knight coming back

22 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Woody had class, something Knight knows nothing about. As long as people show up the hypocrite will continue to come around. 

Woody also cheated his brains out? I have zero respect for cheaters! I’m disappointed in knight but at least he didn’t cheat! Oh it was the boosters at UCLA BS! You know what is going on at your program!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

Wow..I posted this for info on the event in case someone was interested,didn't realize it would turn into a Bobby hater thread.

Cool that you posted it, don't think anyone is faulting you for it, just that many have grown weary of RMK and his hypocritical ways. I'm in the don't care camp, but appreciate your posting.

1 hour ago, Beowulf50 said:

Woody also cheated his brains out? I have zero respect for cheaters! I’m disappointed in knight but at least he didn’t cheat! Oh it was the boosters at UCLA BS! You know what is going on at your program!

I have never heard of any accusations of cheating against Woody. If I remember correctly didn't Knight honor Woody at one of the home games after Woody was let go? Normally Knight didn't have anything to do with know cheaters. 

8 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

I would hope at some time reconciliation can occur.

My hope as well. I'm deeply ambivalent about the entire Bob Knight situation for many, many reasons.

Sometimes I just wish life would be simpler than it seems to want to be. I also wish I were 6'10".

Not sure how this will come across and does not matter. Getting to know CBK over the years it is just astonishing how his mind works and can be so great at things but on the other hand do things that are so self deprecating.  

I and many others on here are rabid IU fans and owe a big chunk of our lives to the culture he helped create. I would have done anything to have had the talent to play for him.  We as IU fans are pretty hypocritical as well. As long as he was on our side most did not mind his boorish childish behavior.  He cheered harder and louder when he was an ass. We applauded the games he played with media "game face, crystal ball etc... why would we expect him to act any differently to the school that fired him.   We are now on the receieving side of it not the giving.

Say what u want but i think the year was 1996 and Knight really thought hard about leaving  but he loved IU Basketball ,the university, the fans, and what he had built here and truly could not see himself coaching anywhere else. Even though we knew that administration would be the end of him.

He like in all the things he has done will not admit fault and only sees things his way. For us to think that he is just gonna stroll into assembly hall like the prodigal son will not happen.  The very things we loved about him are the things that will keep him from ever coming back to our beloved university.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not sure how this will come across and does not matter. Getting to know CBK over the years it is just astonishing how his mind works and can be so great at things but on the other hand do things that are so self deprecating.  

I and many others on here are rabid IU fans and owe a big chunk of our lives to the culture he helped create. I would have done anything to have had the talent to play for him.  We as IU fans are pretty hypocritical as well. As long as he was on our side most did not mind his boorish childish behavior.  He cheered harder and louder when he was an ass. We applauded the games he played with media "game face, crystal ball etc... why would we expect him to act any differently to the school that fired him.   We are now on the receieving side of it not the giving.

Say what u want but i think the year was 1996 and Knight really thought hard about leaving  but he loved IU Basketball ,the university, the fans, and what he had built here and truly could not see himself coaching anywhere else. Even though we knew that administration would be the end of him.

He like in all the things he has done will not admit fault and only sees things his way. For us to think that he is just gonna stroll into assembly hall like the prodigal son will not happen.  The very things we loved about him are the things that will keep him from ever coming back to our beloved university.

i am with you 100%.

Knight should have left for New Mexico in 1996.  Would have served him and the IU fanbase well, knowing how he failed at Texas Texh.... and considering upon reflection, what he has done.... over and over again to dish Indiana University.  A marriage is a two way street. He served IU well. However, who thinks he did not survive in a basketball crazy state, getting some of our best, and surrounding states is just fooling themselves.  It takes two to tango. And Indiana players made the coach... not the other way around... upon decades of reflection.   Wishing any current IU administrators.... death?  Goes beyond the bounds.  The man has gone beyond being pathetic. 

24 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Knight should have left for New Mexico in 1996.  Would have served him and the IU fanbase well, knowing how he failed at Texas Texh.... and considering upon reflection, what he has done.... over and over again to dish Indiana University.  A marriage is a two way street. He served IU well. However, who thinks he did not survive in a basketball crazy state, getting some of our best, and surrounding states is just fooling themselves.  It takes two to tango. And Indiana players made the coach... not the other way around... upon decades of reflection.   Wishing any current IU administrators.... death?  Goes beyond the bounds.  The man has gone beyond being pathetic. 

Well opinions very,and I don't really think he failed at Texas Tech...I can remember some good years,good players who weren't highly ranked that turned into really good players...Saying the players made the coach is laughable at best,yes he had very good players,but he also had some players coming in that were not even highly recruited that turned out to be very good players if not MVP of the Big Ten...like him or hate him,which I think I know how you feel,I would take 17 yrs of Knight over SOME of the sh*t I have seen for the last 17 years...we are on your 4th coach..we have had losing seasons,paid out millions to ex coaches..and..and..been on probation,plus countless off the court issues..now we aren't even considered a power program in the nation let alone in the Big Ten..their have been times I thought about choking someone or maybe stuffing someone in a trash can the last 17 years!

5 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Well opinions very,and I don't really think he failed at Texas Tech...I can remember some good years,good players who weren't highly ranked that turned into really good players...Saying the players made the coach is laughable at best,yes he had very good players,but he also had some players coming in that were not even highly recruited that turned out to be very good players if not MVP of the Big Ten...like him or hate him,which I think I know how you feel,I would take 17 yrs of Knight over SOME of the sh*t I have seen for the last 17 years...we are on your 4th coach..we have had losing seasons,paid out millions to ex coaches..and..and..been on probation,plus countless off the court issues..now we aren't even considered a power program in the nation let alone in the Big Ten..their have been times I thought about choking someone or maybe stuffing someone in a trash can the last 17 years!

You ever wonder what we would be like if John Beilein would of been hired instead of Samscum?

47 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

You ever wonder what we would be like if John Beilein would of been hired instead of Samscum?

I have or hired Matta.  Or if we'd have fired Davis after the Kent St debacle and then hired Alford who was the up and coming coach at the time.  Who knows what IU basketball would look like today.

I don’t understand all the love Beilein gets from our fan base? He’s absolutely a solid, above average high major coach, no doubt. He’s had great highs at Michigan with the Burke, Robinson, Hardaway crew making it to the final game which was a great run, but he’s also been really inconsistent as well. He’s finished top 4 in the conference 4 times in 10 years and 7th or worse 5 times. 

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t understand all the love Beilein gets from our fan base? He’s absolutely a solid, above average high major coach, no doubt. He’s had great highs at Michigan with the Burke, Robinson, Hardaway crew making it to the final game which was a great run, but he’s also been really inconsistent as well. He’s finished top 4 in the conference 4 times in 10 years and 7th or worse 5 times. 

This...plus the Alford love.  Seriously...look at his track record over the years. It's a testament to mediocrity.  IRRC, Up until last year's run with Lonzo Ball (a talented team that I could have coached successfully), Crean's tourney record was better.  Alford is average at best and he'd be a disaster at IU.

3 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

I followed Knight very closely , while he was at TT. And was pulling, at that time for him succeed.  Even had IU fans living in Indiana... such as Xiufan,  on the TT Scout site,who at the time said he lived  just north of Assembly Hall, who at first pulled for Knight, eventually turned on him....especially when Knight quit TT, in mid season to turn the program, over to Pat, his son, which in turn to be a fiasco for the TT program..   By the way.... what is Pat Knight doing these days ?  Last, I heard , he was doing some scouting .

32 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I followed Knight very closely , while he was at TT. And was pulling, at that time for him succeed.  Even had IU fans living in Indiana... such as Xiufan,  on the TT Scout site,who at the time said he lived  just north of Assembly Hall, who at first pulled for Knight, eventually turned on him....especially when Knight quit TT, in mid season to turn the program, over to Pat, his son, which in turn to be a fiasco for the TT program..   By the way.... what is Pat Knight doing these days ?  Last, I heard , he was doing some scouting .

Last I heard he was a west coast scout for the Pacers. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Since July 2014 Pat has been the west coast college scout for the pacers...I live south of Assembly Hall about 15 mins and I have many fond memories of the  General and Indiana Basketball, still think about them,especially when watching games over to past few years and think what use to be.

6 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Last I heard he was a west coast scout for the Pacers. 

Ah yeah.  Forgot about that.  Thanks for the reminder !

I actually pulled for Pat, when Bobby stepped away from TT.  Was on their site, many times, defending Pat, when TT fans kept trashing him.  It got ugly at times. 

5 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

Since July 2014 Pat has been the west coast college scout for the pacers...I live south of Assembly Hall about 15 mins and I have many fond memories of the  General and Indiana Basketball, still think about them,especially when watching games over to past few years and think what use to be.

Just as you.... many of us, including myself.... have fond memories.  However, at least in my case, and I believe in others.... we wish those memories would have not turned into what they are today.  It's not the fan's fault for that.  Totally falls on "The General"..... as I do recall Pat talking.... at one time.... how he wished his dad would reconcile with IU. 

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

Thank you!  Been saying this as well. People are always saying Beilein this/that....7th or worse 5 times in 10 years. People need to think about that. 

i think Beilein does a very good job with the talent he gets.  i love Alford from his playing days, but was never crazy about getting him as a coach.  don't think he's the devil as many on here seem to though.  hard to say the General failed at TT.  he made them better than when he went there and put them on the map for a few years.  not going to do much more there - although i do realize they are pretty good this year.  

Archived