Offseason 2022

If it's the head coach's responsibility to be constantly engaged with potential recruits, why does every big basketball program hire assistants whose sole job more or less is recruiting?

The answer is it's not the head coach's job, and it wouldn't bother me if he only spoke to recruits once or twice total aside from their visits to campus before they join the program. The head coach closes the deal; the assistant develops and maintains the relationship prior to athletes stepping on campus.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

If it's the head coach's responsibility to be constantly engaged with potential recruits, why does every big basketball program hire assistants whose sole job more or less is recruiting?

The answer is it's not the head coach's job, and it wouldn't bother me if he only spoke to recruits once or twice total aside from their visits to campus before they join the program. The head coach closes the deal; the assistant develops and maintains the relationship prior to athletes stepping on campus.

I think every program operates differently. Sampson got in trouble for making hundreds of calls to recruits. Crean texted recruits regularly. I don’t know if Archie ever communicated with anyone on a regular basis. 

I'll just share this here. Just ran into Alan Henderson taking him Mom out Sunday grocery shopping at Kroger in Nora. Looks fit and healthy still and I told him I like his new spirits (he has a booze company) as much as I'm liking this team. He said we all have high hopes but good to temper them a bit.

One classy player. Epitome of what we want IU players to be like.

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Reacher said:

UT was fined $100,000 for that field rush

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Probably implemented at the insistance of a certain "blue" school...😄

I really, really wanted to believe Calipari had something to do with it, but the rule was implemented in 2004. 

Texas A&M was fined the same amount last year when they beat Alabama. Their athletic budget is about $212 million, so it's a drop in the bucket for these schools. 

6 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I really, really wanted to believe Calipari had something to do with it, but the rule was implemented in 2004. 

Texas A&M was fined the same amount last year when they beat Alabama. Their athletic budget is about $212 million, so it's a drop in the bucket for these schools. 

Yeah… and Kentucky is far from the SEC kings when it comes to having that sort of pull. Every major football school would likely have more pull than them.