First Four - Wyoming Pre Game Thread

02Hoosier

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

My wife's birthday (sneaking in a post before we go out) and I really only watch Big 10 basketball...so I'm afraid anything I offer might be as off as this Wyoming poster on their site...

Screenshot_20220313-191932.thumb.png.cf9c108f3db974150a4ebc2004f25df7.png

I think he means Race Thompson rather than "Johnson." Maybe he looked at XJ's name and Race's numbers...

And it's painfully apparent from the last sentence he hasn't seen us play 😮

XJ and Parker shoot 40% from three a piece. Technically he was right. 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

XJ and Parker shoot 40% from three a piece. Technically he was right. 🤷‍♂️

It was meant to be numerous...

But to the point, Stewart is 5 for his last 25 (20%) over the last 7 games...Miller is 15 for his last 44 (34%)...

So while they can shoot the 3, they haven't been as successful lately as their respective season averages indicate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It was meant to be numerous...

But to the point, Stewart is 5 for his last 25 (20%) over the last 7 games...Miller is 15 for his last 44 (34%)...

So while they can shoot the 3, they haven't been as successful lately as their respective season averages indicate.

I know.  I'm just saying him saying our starting guard shoot 40% from 3 is accurate. 

MK is 40% his last 5 and 36% his last 10. 

I just watched the highlights provided. Boise State isn't in the same universe with us on their defense. I realize it's only 1 game, but jeez....

WY got a fair amt of points on feeding the post and having cutters come thru the lane. Only 2 guys shoot the 3 consistently, Mulanaldo being the main one. I think we'll shut down the cutters no problem. Not sure about the 3's. Race should be on Ike. Similar body and toughness and let TJD be 2nd off the floor, and get 6 blocks.

I don't think they can defend X, or Rob, or Bates off the bounce. TJD should get 6-8 dunks in this game. Maybe more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

They have their own here...

Good read and very telling...they actually sound a lot like us...

"Play our two studs 1-on-1 in the post if you think you can guard them. Or double them and take your chances on our shooters."

Lol I will play TJD 1 on 1 in the post happily against a guy that's the same size as him and just based on his block numbers, significantly less athletic. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Lol I will play TJD 1 on 1 in the post happily against a guy that's the same size as him and just based on his block numbers, significantly less athletic. 

As a team, they only avg 2 blocks a game. TJD's dude avgs .3 a game. ..... go at them! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

They do sound like a mirror image of us to me...

Here's the preseason prediction for them...

The were picked 8th (finished 4th) in the MWC...

I thought the preseason piece was telling because it says their 2nd year coach, Jeff Linder, is a big time metrics guy who loves the 3 and wanted to go 4 out and emphasize playing outside in...

But apparently the lack of development or injuries to Deng Dut and Noah Reynolds, made them go to a more inside out approach...

Ike (it's pronounced Ekay) is basically the same size as TJD, but has a 7'6 wingspan...he doesn't look particularly athletic, but he has decent post moves. Reminded me a little of Quadus Wahab of Maryland (who Trayce had marginal games against...17 points in the 1st meeting, but only 10 in the second)...

Drake Jeffries looks to be the main outside threat...he had almost double the number of 3 point attempts of anyone else on the team, making them at a 42% clip...

Not real deep with only 6 guys getting 20+ minutes per game, and they're one of the best 3 point defending teams in college basketball, holding opponents to 31%, good for 37th nationally...

Posters on their board think if the refs let them play, it'll be to Wyoming's benefit. I don't know about that...

I watched some highlights of their games, and the MWC doest look nearly as physical as the Big 10...I think loose officiating helps us tremendously...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

"Hey Steve, Mike Woodson here. Yeah, hey, I know half of the IU fan base hates you for some reason, and I know your alma mater has snubbed you through 5 coaching changes...but can you give me a scouting report on Wyoming?"

😁

Well i can tell you that all of Iowa's fan base hates him.  If his names comes up in basketball conversation, the amount of vitriol is amazing.  I have never heard one Iowa basketball fan have one good thing to say about him.  They outright hate the man.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan

37 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Well i can tell you that all of Iowa's fan base hates him.  If his names comes up in basketball conversation, the amount of vitriol is amazing.  I have never heard one Iowa basketball fan have one good thing to say about him.  They outright hate the man.

My across the street neighbor when I lived in Chicagoland was the son of Marvin Sims Sr (the one that served as honorary captain re this article circa 2010)...

He was very in touch with the athletic department for years, and knew and liked Steve. He found out I was coached in baseball by Steve's dad, Sam (who he also knew) and would tell me that before the Pierre Pierce incident, the only reason Iowa fans hated Alford was because they knew he was a Hoosier, and would drop them like a hot rock if IU came calling...

After Pierre Pierce, it was just fuel on a fire (and, no, I prefer not to get into that debate)...