First Four - Wyoming Pre Game Thread

02Hoosier

40 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, while we should have been a 12 all along, Wyoming was supposed to be an 11.  I'm not too upset on how it turned out considering we got St. Mary's as a 5.  It's probably the 2nd best draw from the 5/6 line behind 6th seeded LSU.

image.png.a7f22095b7b61da47e2f56dd8406a4c1.png

......and I'm supposed to feel sorry for the committee because of this? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

My daughter and son in law just got tix for tomorrow's game.

.....Jealous!

How well do you like your son-in-law?  I mean, if he came over to your house and 'accidently' ate some brownies made with Ex-Lax or something similar, would you simply choose to go with your daughter in his place?  Or, would you encourage your daughter to invite a friend while you stayed home and made sure he was okay? 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

How well do you like your son-in-law?  I mean, if he came over to your house and 'accidently' ate some brownies made with Ex-Lax or something similar, would you simply choose to go with your daughter in his place?  Or, would you encourage your daughter to invite a friend while you stayed home and made sure he was okay? 

.....all very well thought out, yet devilish scenarios, but I love my son in law and deserves to go. lol

He treats my daughter and new born baby girl like queens!

• Like 3

I want to believe IU gets past Wyoming easily but this season has proven there is no 'easy' for IU. If anything, IU tends to play to the level of their opponent and that's a problem. If they don't come out ready to play it's going to be a fight. There can be no easing into this game - this isn't the NBA regular season where they use the early part of the game to warm up.

Wyoming has a legit big inside, they have some athletes surrounding him, and they have multiple guys who can shoot when they are on (43% of team's shots are 3s). But they play three guys big minutes (32+). Their inside guys are 6'9 and 6'8 (sound familiar) but they also have a 6'10 who plays 11 minutes per game. More important, if it stays close and comes down to one team hitting big perimeter shots late, I won't feel overly confident it goes IU's way. 

The good news is IU should have a huge crowd advantage and they have multiple guys to match up with the big two of Wyoming, which combined to take 48% of their team's total shots this season. What concerns me most is teams like Wyoming know how to dictate pace and they can shorten the game to make every possession count more. It's got a Wisconsin vibe to how they play and that's not fun to think about.

My hope is IU comes out ready, takes the ball at them inside and the defense sets the tone early. But it's going to take IU really going to the glass to prevent those second chance threes. If all of that happens the crowd will be into it and they will force Wyoming into playing out of their comfort zone.

Go IU!

• Like 1

Certainly seems like a good matchup, and a good draw overall. The last 100 minutes we've played is some of the best basketball we've played all year, but it was also on the heels of possibly the worst 20 minutes we've played this year. The Iowa game, while we did a number of things really well, also showed our two main Achilles' heels - an inability to hit open shots, and closing out games. Those are two bad things to continue to be problematic going into a tournament where parity rules, and games are generally tight. 

On the plus side, we're getting terrific guard play from XJ, TJD seems to be motivated, and our defense is among the best in the country. If anything, it's just nice to be in a situation where we could make a run in the tournament, and this team definitely has the potential to put it all together for a few games at least.

Edited by AxnJxn
  • Like 2

This Wyoming team will jack up threes. If our NBA style defense is working one dude from Wyoming probably gets hot but  I feel Race and TJD should handle their bigs. Our guards are gonna need one of their better defensive days to make sure we win this game. I feel Rob is gonna have a big game on the defensive and side and we will see a lot of XJ, Rob and Kopp lineups.

Edited by SawatchHoosier

1 minute ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Another interesting fact is Wyoming plays in the highest D1 basketball court in the country at 7200 feet.

And, their record is significantly influence by a 14-1 home record because teams are not used to playing at that altitude.  While almost every team does better at home, an argument could be made that their record may not be quite as strong as it appears once you get them out of the mountains.

• Like 3

I think that this is a great game for Rob, who actually guards the post very well. Their PG loves to post, and Rob often does well when switched on to bigger players...

I think the whole game will come down to how it is called. If they call it tight, we might lose confidence and aggressiveness and struggle at that point...Hopefully a crowd full of IU supporters can do something to sway the texture of the game towards a Big Ten feel in terms of physicality...

• Like 2