First Four - Wyoming Pre Game Thread

02Hoosier

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, their record is significantly influence by a 14-1 home record because teams are not used to playing at that altitude.  While almost every team does better at home, an argument could be made that their record may not be quite as strong as it appears once you get them out of the mountains.

I agree. I live at 7000 feet in Colorado and our local high school basketball, cross country and other teams fair well at home against opponents who reside at or below 5000 feet but when they go to lower elevations they have trouble winning. I do think Wyoming can get extremely hot and they haven't played against a defense like Indiana all year. It should be a good game as long as the refs don't try to crap on everything. Does anyone know who is reffing on Tuesday?

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 1

I hope our team doesn't feel like this game is already won.  Remember, they said just last week they "underestimated" Michigan in the game UM ran us out of our own gym.  We have not accomplished anything yet.  This team should underestimate no one, in order to beat anyone.  Our staff needs to have them mentally ready.  That said, I expect that we will come ready to fight-- and win.

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, their record is significantly influence by a 14-1 home record because teams are not used to playing at that altitude.  While almost every team does better at home, an argument could be made that their record may not be quite as strong as it appears once you get them out of the mountains.

More importantly in regard to their season record, remove them from the Mountain West conference and let them slug it out in the B1G which I think is the toughest overall conference in college basketball. Having 9 make it to the tournament field says so as well.

I’m betting the farm on this one. I think the return of RP and TG along with the new found sense of urgency that the team has shown carries over into this game. As long as the shooting isn’t ice cold IU wins going away.

What I’m concerned about is how sustainable is the effort displayed lately and do the players have enough in the tank to win 2 or 3 without a mental lapse.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

My across the street neighbor when I lived in Chicagoland was the son of Marvin Sims Sr (the one that served as honorary captain re this article circa 2010)...

He was very in touch with the athletic department for years, and knew and liked Steve. He found out I was coached in baseball by Steve's dad, Sam (who he also knew) and would tell me that before the Pierre Pierce incident, the only reason Iowa fans hated Alford was because they knew he was a Hoosier, and would drop them like a hot rock if IU came calling...

After Pierre Pierce, it was just fuel on a fire (and, no, I prefer not to get into that debate)...

I am sure there are some out there that like him.  I live in Iowa.  I go to Iowa v Indiana games and talk to Iowa fans on a regular.  I haven't ran across one who liked him, even before the PP incident.  And honestly he was in a lose lose with PP.  If he didn't back him before the facts were in, he would have been called a traitor for not backing his players.  And Since he did and then it the results were bad, he was called out for supporting a player who raped woman.

Supposedly he was always acting like he was gods gift to basketball and coaching (their words, not mine) and that he was always expected to be treated like such wherever he went.  be restaurants  or stores etc.

Had he won more, they might have liked him more.  Yet Iowa fans seem to love Fran and i can't figure that out.  They are also quite happy paying top 10 money for a football coach who will never get them in the national title game.  So who knows what these fans want lol

Was a little pissed at our having to play in Dayton, but now we only have to worry about winning. No hand-wringing about other teams taking our spot. Just freaking win and advance. 

If we play our game and hit some threes, I like our chances against anyone in the field. We do need someone not named X to hit some threes. 

• Like 3