IU "NIT watch"

rico

24 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

It might be obvious to point out:

Granted we show up and take care of Illinois, our effort against Purdue likely tells us a great deal in terms of what we might expect moving forward. If we can find a way to not lay anymore eggs like the MSU, IPFW, or the Sycamore games, we might be able to build momentum. 

I think it’s key, they just have to prove to themselves that they can run with the big teams in crunch time. I’m just not so sure they have the upperclassmen leadership nor instesinal fortitude. But, I want to see if they can find it.

We didn't lay an egg against MSU; we ran into a buzz saw. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We didn't lay an egg against MSU; we ran into a buzz saw. 

Completely agree. I actually didn't think we played terrible. It wasn't a situation like ISU or FW where we didn't play hard and were careless with the ball, etc. Our defensive was as active as it's been the last couple weeks, I think we only had 9 turnovers and so on. MSU was fired up after a few subpar performances and when they're on-point they are that much better than us right now even when IU plays decent. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. I actually didn't think we played terrible. It wasn't a situation like ISU or FW where we didn't play hard and were careless with the ball, etc. Our defensive was as active as it's been the last couple weeks, I think we only had 9 turnovers and so on. MSU was fired up after a few subpar performances and when they're on-point they are that much better than us right now even when IU plays decent. 

We were down 40-17 with almost 3 minutes left in the first half.  I don't count the entire game because we were never in it in the second half.  MSU took care of business in the first half, came out on an 8-2 run to start the second and coasted the rest of the way.  Full game stats don't show the picture.

We only had 9 turnovers, but we had 7 turnovers in the first half.  We had a whopping 23 points and gave up 42 in the first half.  The second half was garbage time, so I don't care that we only had 2 turnovers in the 2nd half.

MSU obviously came out guns blazing and we never had a chance to win it, but they weren't 40-17 better than us.  We played terribly that game when it counted.

18 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

We were down 40-17 with almost 3 minutes left in the first half.  I don't count the entire game because we were never in it in the second half.  MSU took care of business in the first half, came out on an 8-2 run to start the second and coasted the rest of the way.  Full game stats don't show the picture.

We only had 9 turnovers, but we had 7 turnovers in the first half.  We had a whopping 23 points and gave up 42 in the first half.  The second half was garbage time, so I don't care that we only had 2 turnovers in the 2nd half.

MSU obviously came out guns blazing and we never had a chance to win it, but they weren't 40-17 better than us.  We played terribly that game when it counted.

Disagree. They're one of the 2-3 best/most talented teams in the country when they're right, and they were right that night. They are that much better than us when they're on and in their building. The effort was there from our guys, the defense was played just as hard as it has these last couple weeks. We did have 7 turnovers in the first half, but at the same time we also had RoJo on fire in the first half, and MSU was so good it didn't matter. 

They dominate us from a size perspective, they have 3 starters that shoot 8% higher from 3-pt land than our best 3-pt shooter, they have 2 probably lottery picks, one of which is 6'11" and shoots 44.6% from 3 (Jackson). They are that much better than IU right now. 

I'm not saying we played great, but it also wasn't a ISU, FW, Wisconsin situation. We just got beat by a team infinitely more talented. 

Before their loss at LSU last night Lunardi had Texas A&M as a 9 seed. So if 13-7 with only one win over a current ranked opponent (WVU) is good enough for a 9 seed then there's no reason to think at 12-8 that we're out of it. Sadly ND has lost their last four so they continue to diminish our sole marquee win but we have plenty of opportunities to pick a couple up against Purdue, MSU and Ohio St at home. It's not going to happen without that but we need to have a one game at a time mentality.  So let's get through Illinois, continue to get hot in the second half of the season and work toward that seemingly magic number of 20 wins. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Before their loss at LSU last night Lunardi had Texas A&M as a 9 seed. So if 13-7 with only one win over a current ranked opponent (WVU) is good enough for a 9 seed then there's no reason to think at 12-8 that we're out of it. Sadly ND has lost their last four so they continue to diminish our sole marquee win but we have plenty of opportunities to pick a couple up against Purdue, MSU and Ohio St at home. It's not going to happen without that but we need to have a one game at a time mentality.  So let's get through Illinois, continue to get hot in the second half of the season and work toward that seemingly magic number of 20 wins. 

Very well said.........can I get an "AMEN"!!!!!

19 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Guys... we’re on to Illinois. 

Just think, if we as fan are overlooking Illinois and moving on to the Big 3 coming up, i wouldn't be completely surprised if the team did the same thing and lost tonight.  This is an easy trap game for this team.  On the road, against a down opponent who hates us, with 3 big games coming up.  I hope i am wrong, but i see us losing this one by double digits

10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Just think, if we as fan are overlooking Illinois and moving on to the Big 3 coming up, i wouldn't be completely surprised if the team did the same thing and lost tonight.  This is an easy trap game for this team.  On the road, against a down opponent who hates us, with 3 big games coming up.  I hope i am wrong, but i see us losing this one by double digits

Yep, I don’t have a problem with the conversation about future, more exciting opponents, but I completely agree...I am not very optimistic about tonight.

34 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Disagree. They're one of the 2-3 best/most talented teams in the country when they're right, and they were right that night. They are that much better than us when they're on and in their building. The effort was there from our guys, the defense was played just as hard as it has these last couple weeks. We did have 7 turnovers in the first half, but at the same time we also had RoJo on fire in the first half, and MSU was so good it didn't matter. 

They dominate us from a size perspective, they have 3 starters that shoot 8% higher from 3-pt land than our best 3-pt shooter, they have 2 probably lottery picks, one of which is 6'11" and shoots 44.6% from 3 (Jackson). They are that much better than IU right now. 

I'm not saying we played great, but it also wasn't a ISU, FW, Wisconsin situation. We just got beat by a team infinitely more talented. 

Nothing will ever be as bad as the ISU and FW games, but I don't see how that wasn't a bad loss.  Nobody in the country is 23 points better than us in 17 minutes.

We played Duke tough for 35 minutes and they beat MSU.  Sure, home vs road and different circumstances leading up to it, but they aren't 23 points in 17 minutes better than us.  Rutgers took them to overtime at MSU after they just got beat down by OSU. 

MSU obviously should have beaten us (they were favored by 14.5), but they shouldn't have covered the spread less than 15 minutes into the game.  After we took the lead 10-9, they went on a 31-7 run.  That's bad no matter who is playing.

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

As much as it feels like this bursted our bubble, win two of these next three and we are fine. 

I don't see that happening, but we needed some wins against these type teams before last night. 

I agree. Really, it is these next 3 games that determine our fate.

Luckily, the B1G gave us a whole day off between Purdue and @OSU O.o while OSU has 4 days of practice leading up to our game.

Stay hot, B1G. Can't put together a reasonable schedule and can't put a reasonable officiating crew on the court.

Archived