NCAA Tournament

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I was already watching it before you posted.  They make One Shining Moment worse and worse every year.  The 1987 version is perfect ,and not just because IU won it.  The long intro really sets the moods, there were a lot of up close shots where you could really see the emotion, but most of all they let the song tell the story.  Not a single time did they 'talk over' the song itself.

I've not seen them all, but this year's was the absolute worst I've seen.  Just terrible.  

Totally agree

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

This link has all the One Shining Moments ranked (through last year).  They have 1987 as #4.  They list 2013 as #1.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/04/one-shining-moment-ranked-ncaa-tournament

I just like the original version. I have watched the history of how One Shining Moment came into being.  Actually it was supposed to be for the Super Bowl earlier that year.  At the end they did not have time to run it because the game ran to long.  So they decided to play it after the tournament and everything else is history.

• Like 2

Manek and Martin are transfers that plugged holes in UNC and KU’s roster. 

The transfer portal this summer is vital to our success. The difference between those teams and us is that they can go out and get whomever they want. We don’t have that credibility. Those big time transfers want to win immediately. 

Last year we were much further away, but we got XJ. This team would’ve sucked without XJ, let’s be honest. Now we need that athletic wing who can score or a stretch 4 who can consistently make threes. 

Sure the freshman will add to our base, which will help for the future, but we need one more key contributor right away. If TJD and Race go, then we need two. 

If we strike out, then we don’t make that jump next year. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Inequality said:

Fun game. Both teams played downhill and played their hearts out. Kansas won the title but Carolina has to be extremely happy where they are with a new coach in year one.

I admit, knowing Carolina and Duke was about to experience a coaching staff change. I wanted the same misery for their fan base that the IU fan base has had to endure. Actually I expected it. Dang it I was wrong…

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well remember Davis got us to the championship game in year two and went downhill from there.  I think UNC loses a lot from this year's roster and only played 7 guys.

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

Their misery could still happen, remember after the Hoosiers coaching change Mike Davis got to the Final Four also. Plus we have no idea how Dukes new coach is going to do. So hold off on saying you were wrong.

Oops I missed that Scott already said this lol

I think there's a ton of difference between Hubert Davis and Mike Davis, way in Hubert's favor...

Hubert has the NBA background, been around the program for more than a few years, and I think he'll recruit better. I actually think he's a great long term solution for UNC.

Scheyer? I'm not so sure about. I think he's a good Xs and Os guy, but can he keep Duke getting 5 star kids? I know he's got a nice haul for next year, but can he keep that momentum...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I think there's a ton of difference between Hubert Davis and Mike Davis, way in Hubert's favor...

Hubert has the NBA background, been around the program for more than a few years, and I think he'll recruit better. I actually think he's a great long term solution for UNC.

Scheyer? I'm not so sure about. I think he's a good Xs and Os guy, but can he keep Duke getting 5 star kids? I know he's got a nice haul for next year, but can he keep that momentum...

You could be right about Davis, but no one knows for sure. There have been other coaches that have had immediate success to only end up flaming out. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

You could be right about Davis, but no one knows for sure. There have been other coaches that have had immediate success to only end up flaming out. 

After those interviews in the first half last night, I almost wanted to play for Hubert Davis. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

think there's a ton of difference between Hubert Davis and Mike Davis, way in Hubert's favor...

+1 ...

• Coach Hubert Davis (CHD) really wanted the job 
  • CHD is qualified to be the head coach at an elite program
  • Has the support of the outgoing hall of fame coach
  • The previous coach will not tell recruits to boycott the school
  • The administration at UNC is not actively sabotaging the basketball program 
  • This was planned exchange...

Superficially, there is the similarity of assistant replacing hall of fame coach. BUT all the peripherals favor Hubert's situation. CMD was only promoted so that we could field a team...

I hate Duke, so I hope Scheyer is terrible as a coach.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Definitely could be.

It also calls into question why are we playing such big games on temporary floors?

Most arenas are temporary courts that can be taken out at any time.  Like at Gainbridge  Fieldhouse they take up the NBA floor and put in a different court for the high school game.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That makes sense, thanks. 

I'm actually not 100% sure that isn't what the floor is suppose to do anyway. Absolutely don't have the information to make a definitive statement... 

And that video does look ugly, but that was also a "slo mo" version. Hence maybe makes it look worse then it is... 

Anyways..  the reason I think it might actually be what the floor was intended to do (give) is because I have been told all the new gym floors they're putting in now have more give and extra bounce to them.  

... so what that would look like is... the floor/awkwardness caused the injury, but the "give" kept it from being a knee or Achilles injury? 

Not sure.  Probably 100% wrong. I do know I have heard of the new floors "giving".. I just don't know if that play is an example of this.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm actually not 100% sure that isn't what the floor is suppose to do anyway. Absolutely don't have the information to make a definitive statement... 

If it was a player landing on the floor on his shoulder/back/etc and you saw a large section of floor bend down to absorb the impact, you’d be right. It’s better for a floor to give that way to absorb some of the energy vs being completely rigid. However, that looks more like a single plank coming up, causing his toe to get hooked in it. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If it was a player landing on the floor on his shoulder/back/etc and you saw a large section of floor bend down to absorb the impact, you’d be right. It’s better for a floor to give that way to absorb some of the energy vs being completely rigid. However, that looks more like a single plank coming up, causing his toe to get hooked in it. 

Makes sense