St Mary's Pregame Thread

Reacher

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm super concerned for our energy and stamina for this game. 

These travel issues are not a small thing. I don't know about you all, but I've taken red eyes before and was a complete mess the next day. 

It’s totally asinine to have a play in game in Dayton where the winner has to then fly immediately across the country to Portland. Play in games need to be in the same venue as the round of 64 destination. I can’t even believe this needs to be said but it’s the NCAA, who are morons. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

It’s totally asinine to have a play in game in Dayton where the winner has to then fly immediately across the country to Portland. Play in games need to be in the same venue as the round of 64 destination. I can’t even believe this needs to be said but it’s the NCAA, who are morons. 

Milwaukee, Indy, and Pittsburgh all within simple driving distances lol  

Edited by btownqb

11 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

If Jackson starts to command double-teams like he did earlier in the season then Race will have ample opportunities to score. 

I think one area of great improvement for Trayce this year is his decision making with the ball in his hands...

Early in the year he turned the ball over at times...in the last 20 games, he's averaged 1.5 TOPG...

And I dare say if out outside shooting was a bit better, he'd have a couple of more assists per game...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Milwaukee, Indy, and Pittsburgh all within simple driving distances lol  

I’m not sure I get your point? Having the play in game in Dayton makes sense because the other destinations are drivable? Milwaukee is 7+ hours from Dayton by bus without traffic. Doubt a team would even opt to drive that. Play in games at separate venues has no value or purpose. Period

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think one area of great improvement for Trayce this year is his decision making with the ball in his hands...

Early in the year he turned the ball over at times...in the last 20 games, he's averaged 1.5 TOPG...

And I dare say if out outside shooting was a bit better, he'd have a couple of more assists per game...

His assists per game is 1.9 but with more consistent shooting from all areas Trayce could have an assists per game average in the 3s!

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 2

Just now, Hoosier82 said:

I’m not sure I get your point? Having the play in game in Dayton makes sense because the other destinations are drivable? Milwaukee is 7+ hours from Dayton by bus without traffic. Doubt a team would even opt to drive that. Play in games at separate venues has no value or purpose. Period

You don't get the point that all three of those locations are immensely closer than Portland or SD are to Dayton? Heck two of the three are in the same time zone, that alone is huge. 

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

For sure, he's actually a net positive AT ratio. Solid. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He's 40% the last 6 games! 

Yeah he's been better overall the last six games. He was 2-4 from 3 in the biggest game of the year against Michigan but dropped the ball a bit against Iowa going 2-7. Actually, to be fair I can't remember if Kopp was taking open shots against Iowa or if he was forced to jack them up late in the shot clock. If we get the 3-6, 4-6, 4-7 Kopp against St.Mary's I like our chances cause that means they can't double team Jackson and or sag off of him when Johnson drives in the lane.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Thanks for this link. It appears they play six players like Wyoming which means we can get them in foul trouble and take advantage of our depth later in the game when they get tired.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Thanks for this link. It appears they play six players like Wyoming which means we can get them in foul trouble and take advantage of our depth later in the game when they get tired.

I was roaming around and found this, and was like, “I’m sure everyone will love this”. The depth chart only goes back to last 5 games, but that seems relevant enough for me

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You don't get the point that all three of those locations are immensely closer than Portland or SD are to Dayton? Heck two of the three are in the same time zone, that alone is huge. 

If that was your point, it’s irrelevant. None of winners from the First Four go to Indy or Pittsburgh or even Milwaukee for that matter. IU goes to Portland, Texas Southern to Dallas. Today’s winners both go to San Diego to play Arizona or Alabama respectively. Regardless, I don’t care if it’s a 3 hour drive, playing in Dayton gives the waiting team a competitive advantage without providing any value. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

If that was your point, it’s irrelevant. None of winners from the First Four go to Indy or Pittsburgh or even Milwaukee for that matter. IU goes to Portland, Texas Southern to Dallas. Today’s winners both go to San Diego to play Arizona or Alabama respectively. Regardless, I don’t care if it’s a 3 hour drive, playing in Dayton gives the waiting team a competitive advantage without providing any value. 

Ok. Allllll I was saying was the ncaa could have easily sent IU to one of the other three sites and it pretty much takes care of the problem incredibly easy. I was never trying to disagree with you.  

3 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Just curious if their D is so good statistically because of the level of competition they play???  I know they beat the Zags once but I’m not sure how good the rest of the conference is.  It’s going to be a tough game either way.  I like what Woodys building here, and these aren’t his recruits yet.  Exciting times ahead!

I like Jeff Sagarin's statistical approach to evaluating teams.

As of yesterday, he has St. Mary's rated as the #23 team in the country, with a score of 85.25 while playing in the 9th best conference. He has IU rated #29 with a score of 84.74 while playing in the 2nd best conference.

Not a lot of difference in the ratings, but huge difference in the quality of the conferences

• Like 4

I always enjoy looking at this sites preseason assessment of teams. The one I'm linking is for the WCC and has some good info on St Mary's...

Especially thought this was interesting...

"Bennett’s squads are consistently good at 1) defensive rebounding, 2) disallowing 3-point attempts, and 3) making teams beat them with the dribble instead of the pass."

The bolded plays right into our hands! 😉 

Also...

"Bennett’s defensive style is susceptible to rim attack" 

825064867_200(3).gif.8b8b7ca35394a549836dd5fbe83f985b.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

49 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

It's done in Dayton because there will be crowds regardless of who is playing.  Great basketball town.  It deserves to keep the event.

Keep it in Dayton, but have the teams set up to play in a EDT or CDT time zone for the next round.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Here's the every shot taken from 2022 WAC Championship game if anyone wants to watch St. Mary's against Gonzaga on a neutral court. From watching this I feel like TJD can obviously dominate. St Marys allowed the Gonzaga big ample room to pass out to their 3 point shooters. Additionally, the St. Mary's transition D appeared suspect. Indiana needs at least one of Kopp, Parker, Phinisee or someone to catch fire from 3.

Hmmm...someone to catch fire.  SMH.  Phinisee did make a few against Purdue.  I couldn't tell you a thing that's memorable as far as Kopp and Stewart when it comes to shooting. 

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I always enjoy looking at this sites preseason assessment of teams. The one I'm linking is for the WCC and has some good info on St Mary's...

Especially thought this was interesting...

"Bennett’s squads are consistently good at 1) defensive rebounding, 2) disallowing 3-point attempts, and 3) making teams beat them with the dribble instead of the pass."

The bolded plays right into our hands! 😉 

Also...

"Bennett’s defensive style is susceptible to rim attack" 

825064867_200(3).gif.8b8b7ca35394a549836dd5fbe83f985b.gif

Geronimo may be due for another big game.

• Like 5