St Mary's Pregame Thread

Reacher

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's done in Dayton because there will be crowds regardless of who is playing.  Great basketball town.  It deserves to keep the event.

Keep it in Dayton, but have the teams set up to play in a EDT or CDT time zone for the next round.  

The round of 64 host sites already have thousands of fans descending upon them for their games, just include the first four in the package…many will attend because it’s something to do and the curiosity of seeing your teams next opponent.  The other teams’ fan bases deserve an opportunity to follow them to the next round. I get that for IU/ND/WSU, it’s less of a stretch and to your point, the NCAA could be more intelligent (that’s asking a lot) in where they send the winners but asking Texas Southern, Bryant, Wyoming and Rutgers fans to travel to Dayton then potentially Dallas, Portland or San Diego is a disservice to those fan bases especially players families who can’t afford flights to Dayton and last minute fares the next day to god knows where. Dayton being a fine basketball town shouldn’t supersede the logistical cluster it creates. 

44 entrants so far in the HSN bracket contest.  We're looking for 50+.  Dont be a wuss.  Visit the Bracket contest thread and click the link in the 3rd post.

For those that have signed up, please make your bracket name is something that ties back to your screen name. The default Yahoo names are hard to decipher.  'Cletus's Crazy Concoction' could be anyone.

By contrast   Coach Shep could call his bracket 'Coach Shep' or '#1 XJ Fan'.  Either way we know who it is.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

That’s funny, the last time we played in Portland was on March 17, 2012 against VCU. Tomorrow is also March 17 too, coincidence? I think not

Ahh the Will Sheehey shot... that was the first time I caused my kid to cry due to IU basketball.  She was only 8 months old and I started screaming when that shot went in.  Now she just calls me "crazy mommy" when IU plays.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

That backcourt is skilled and experienced, which is offset by IU's advantage down low.  IU absolutely can win this game, but I'm not surprised they opened as a 3-point dog.  It will take a strong effort and good perimeter defense to beat St. Mary's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That backcourt is skilled and experienced, which is offset by IU's advantage down low.  IU absolutely can win this game, but I'm not surprised they opened as a 3-point dog.  It will take a strong effort and good perimeter defense to beat St. Mary's.

The line dropped to -2

Edited by Hoosierfan1901
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Kopp, Stewart and Rob are not catching fire.  Hasn't happened all year and i don't expect anything different tomorrow.  We will have to beat them with TJD, XJ and maybe someone else scoring to win.  Our "Shooters" can't shoot.

Well, Rob was on fire for the first Purdue game.  But you are right we've been waiting a long time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierMama said:

Ahh the Will Sheehey shot... that was the first time I caused my kid to cry due to IU basketball.  She was only 8 months old and I started screaming when that shot went in.  Now she just calls me "crazy mommy" when IU plays.  

I did that during the Wat Shot ... didnt feel bad at all ...wrong?,,, nay

...its Indiana

21 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Just here to say, I called this in the Bracketology thread, and it's why we were in the play-in game instead of Michigan.

Water under the bridge at this point, but you'll never convince me that this isn't the #1 reason they put us in the first four instead of them right after we beat Michigan head to head.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierMama said:

I'm going to be honest, when he went up to shoot that shot I started to say how dumb it was...then it went in...even after I was convinced there was too much time on the clock and that VCU would win it at the buzzer with a three...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I'm going to be honest, when he went up to shoot that shot I started to say how dumb it was...then it went in...even after I was convinced there was too much time on the clock and that VCU would win it at the buzzer with a three...

My favorite part besides the shot going in is Sheehey posing on a 10 footer like he's Steph Curry taking a 3 from the logo. 🤣

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Hmmm...someone to catch fire.  SMH.  Phinisee did make a few against Purdue.  I couldn't tell you a thing that's memorable as far as Kopp and Stewart when it comes to shooting. 

During the Syracuse game my buddy texted asking if that was Miller Kopp or Steve Alford.  That was a long time ago...

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, IUKane21 said:

During the Syracuse game my buddy texted asking if that was Miller Kopp or Steve Alford.  That was a long time ago...

I admit I didn't see that game and forgot that he had a good game shooting the ball.  What it really boils down to, I believe, is that we all have seen that both Kopp and Stewart are spot up shooters who need time to get their shot off.  IU hasn't been terrible, but clearly not as effective as we'd like in creating those opportunities for them, plus both haven't been able to make those shots as expected.  I would really like to see one or both find their stroke, but I just don't have the faith/belief that it's going to happen.  

Edited by jv1972iu