Brian Walsh - New Assistant Coach

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Kenya and Yasir get a bump as does Walsh. Reward the efforts of those on the staff and hopefully stave off any other schools attempts at Yasir in the process. Win win sounds like to me. 

I guess I'm not dialed in on Walsh. Besides Cupps...anyone else he's been in on? Just curious. 

I can’t answer your question directly, but the one thing I have noticed is that a number of guys we have recruited have thanked Coach Walsh (usually with one of the assistants) on Twitter and elsewhere.   Seems like he relates well to players.  Now, he was obviously recruiting coordinator but that means he has good experience and likely (hopefully) is a plus on the recruiting trail.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I can’t answer your question directly, but the one thing I have noticed is that a number of guys we have recruited have thanked Coach Walsh (usually with one of the assistants) on Twitter and elsewhere.   Seems like he relates well to players.  Now, he was obviously recruiting coordinator but that means he has good experience and likely (hopefully) is a plus on the recruiting trail.  

Plus, he’s relatively young. Likely relates well to players which is obviously a good advantage 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe it's just me but this Walsh kid seems pretty likeable. Would be nice to get a few years out of him or longer but I think he's going to be around for awhile in the game of college basketball.

I don't think it's just you. I think just about every recruit we signed in the past year have specifically named him as being a main factor in their decision. 

• Like 5

If we are being honest, none of us know how Walsh will do because his history has been behind the scenes stuff.  But he does seem to have good recruiting contacts that he’s set up.  Cupps cited him.  Other recruits mention him on Twitter.  He’s promised us that he is a hard worker. Critical.  

But to me the best sign of all is he’s impressed different staffs and head coaches to hire him.  It’s one thing that Archie liked him and brought him here in view of the connection to the dad and Sean.  But he was a total unknown to Woody.  Yet Woody saw enough to be impressed by him.  And I’m sure Woody is a hard grader.  See Dane Fife.   Woody has a massive Rolodex and could find somebody else.  But he’s riding with Walsh. To me, more than anything else, that bodes well.  

It reminds me of position coaches in the NFL.  Some fans say, well he’s bounced around like it’s a problem.  I take the opposite view.  When there is a diverse group of head coaches that hire you, that means you’re darn good and your reputation precedes you.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 9

It’s going to be interesting to see what we do with Walsh’s old spot.  We seemingly have an army of behind the scenes guys.  Maybe somebody jumps in there.  The young man, Green (do I have the right name; I’m thinking of the guy who drove all night from NYC) seems to have AAU connections.  

Or do we go out and get a guy from the outside who is totally connected and brings us new connections?  Personally I think Illinois is somewhere we can do really well.  A lot of kids up here go to IU as students. It’s positively received.  No reason we can’t get back to being a key player in Illinois.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jojo123 said:

seriously. Why in the hell would he keep anyone from Archies staff that failed and get rid of Fife. I think Woody did not like looking over his shoulder. But why a guy from shit hole PA 

In what way did he fail? Woody kept him around when he took the job, and has now promoted him after 1 season under Woody. Plus, all current and a few former players have congratulated him. I have several interactions with Coach Walsh and personally love this opportunity for him and his new family.

Richard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jojo123 said:

seriously. Why in the hell would he keep anyone from Archies staff that failed and get rid of Fife. I think Woody did not like looking over his shoulder. But why a guy from shit hole PA 

While I am not all that thrilled with the Fife situation, I doubt that Woody was really worried and looking over his shoulders. Also what makes you think that Walsh failed? Archie Miller failed but that doesn't mean everyone from his staff did.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 10:10 PM, 02Hoosier said:

Plus, he’s relatively young. Likely relates well to players which is obviously a good advantage 

I had to look up his age….and that was a mistake. He graduated high school after I graduated college. Guess that means I’m old. Pass the geritol. 

• Haha 2