2023 Class Rankings and Discussion

KDB

12 hours ago, slojoe said:

Yes that's are only route.  We will lose at least 4 players all key.  We have only 2 coming in the new class.  Do the 

Yeah it's not ideal. All depends on who we land. I like.our guards coming in but they probably wont make a huge impact immediately, and we definitely will need more frontcourt help. 

2 hours ago, Btownstrength said:

Yeah it's not ideal. All depends on who we land. I like.our guards coming in but they probably wont make a huge impact immediately, and we definitely will need more frontcourt help. 

I was one of the biggest proponents for Braden Smith I really wanted him in an IU uniform. That did not happen but having seen he and Cupps play a bunch I think Cupps is on just another level than Braden and that is in no way a knock on Braden. Cupps is going to surprise many. Kid is a legit winner and big time play maker. 

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I was one of the biggest proponents for Braden Smith I really wanted him in an IU uniform. That did not happen but having seen he and Cupps play a bunch I think Cupps is on just another level than Braden and that is in no way a knock on Braden. Cupps is going to surprise many. Kid is a legit winner and big time play maker. 

If that’s the case, no reason why Cupps can’t be an immediate impact guy. Don’t have to be a 5 star kid to make an impact. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

If that’s the case, no reason why Cupps can’t be an immediate impact guy. Don’t have to be a 5 star kid to make an impact. 

He may not get 10 a game but will be an impact player from day 1 IMO. There is a lot that goes into getting minutes as a freshman but he has the tools the rest is on him

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

He may not get 10 a game but will be an impact player from day 1 IMO. There is a lot that goes into getting minutes as a freshman but he has the tools the rest is on him

I sure hope you're right. The few times I saw him play, he made cuts at the speed of molasses. I can cut faster than I saw him cut, and I'm an old fart. Hopefully that was a small sample size and not representative of his overall play, but I didn't see him being anywhere close to JHS talent.

His Dad is a helluva coach IMO. If we have an ass't job open up, he should at least get a look.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

I sure hope you're right. The few times I saw him play, he made cuts at the speed of molasses. I can cut faster than I saw him cut, and I'm an old fart. Hopefully that was a small sample size and not representative of his overall play, but I didn't see him being anywhere close to JHS talent.

His Dad is a helluva coach IMO. If we have an ass't job open up, he should at least get a look.

They are so very different but both are winners. GC not flashy but gets the job done. Like Braden more athletic than people think. I hate saying comments like that because people put race into the equation and that's not my point. He just finds a way, like most freshman if he can defend he will get significant minutes. 4 years of Cupps and he will be a fan favorite.  I will be shocked if not. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

They are so very different but both are winners. GC not flashy but gets the job done. Like Braden more athletic than people think. I hate saying comments like that because people put race into the equation and that's not my point. He just finds a way, like most freshman if he can defend he will get significant minutes. 4 years of Cupps and he will be a fan favorite.  I will be shocked if not. 

IU & Purdue had better athletes than Badgers last year and went 0-4 

GC just seems to get to his spots and make the shot or correct pass 

I’ve only seen one coaches kid who didn’t play the right way…

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Bronny James on the McDonald's AA team, despite not showing up in any top 25 list I've found. Two legit questions:

Does having a famous father gain you spots in the rankings?

Would he make the McD roster without a famous father?

I have opinions on both.  Will be interesting to see how far that last name carries Bronny.

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Bronny James on the McDonald's AA team, despite not showing up in any top 25 list I've found. Two legit questions:

I have opinions on both.  Will be interesting to see how far that last name carries Bronny.

On3 ranked Bronny as the No. 1 NIL-maker at $7.5 million on their top 100 valuation. He has already landed NIL deals with Nike and PSD Underwear, as well as Beats by Dre — for which he stars in a campaign ad alongside James with the tagline “The Chosen One vs. The Chosen Son.”

🤮

38 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

On3 ranked Bronny as the No. 1 NIL-maker at $7.5 million on their top 100 valuation. He has already landed NIL deals with Nike and PSD Underwear, as well as Beats by Dre — for which he stars in a campaign ad alongside James with the tagline “The Chosen One vs. The Chosen Son.”

🤮

But he and his son live in a tough world! 🙄

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

🤮

3 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

But he and his son live in a tough world! 🙄

We might make a lot of money but, we also spend a lot of money.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Not sure how you argue this.

Doubt he’s even one & done level 

Doesn’t mean he won’t be a 2nd rounder for the lakers 

Newton & Colvin will be better ?

16 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

1 - I'm sure it helps, but it's not a given. There are many players with "un-famous" fathers that have made the McD's team over players that do have them.

2 - I don't think so. He's a good player who has become very good thanks to his father and the support system/resources available to him, but if he were Bronny Williams from Acme, Arkansas, I don't think he would've gained the same shine.

I will say -- and maybe this is an unpopular viewpoint around here -- I don't mind that he's made the team. And if it's a product of the time/money/efforts of LeBron, who am I to scoff at that? He's (LeBron) put himself in the best position to help his children achieve their dreams*, and I would do the same thing if I were in his position. (I do it now it for my kids in my own small way.) 

*The 'noble' counterpoint to this is that his kids should carve their own way and only be graded on the merits they have/achieve. But the truth of the world is there is nepotism & favoritism everywhere; opportunities are based on relationships. LeBron (or anyone) can open the door, but ultimately it's up to Bronny to do the work to make and sustain his own career.

• Like 2

The only stories I have seen about the selections all focus on him - I'm sure the people who made the list were aware that having him would draw more attention than any other player.

As for the impact on the rankings themselves, history seems to suggest it doesn't help to have an NBA dad. Off the top of my head I can think of Steph Curry was severely underrated, Klay Thompson was underrated, Jet Howard probably was. Tim Hardaway's kid and Glenn Robinson's kid both outperformed there rankings by a fair bit. I'm having a hard time thinking of a recruit with a famous dad that ended up overrated. I think Jordan's kid had a mediocre rating and performed accordingly. 

Maybe Ewing Jr. was overrated, but I can't remember how highly they had him out of high school. 

I’m really glad Myles Colvin picked Purdue instead of IU. After watching him on film the last couple weeks and in person he’s going to have a long way to go for Painter to put up with him. He’s got athleticism but that’s only going to take him so far.

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 2

On 1/26/2023 at 2:16 AM, FKIM01 said:

For what it's worth ESPN has him about 28 or so.

There were a lot of top players not eligible for McD roster.

5 minutes ago, slojoe said:

For what it's worth ESPN has him about 28 or so.

There were a lot of top players not eligible for McD roster.

That was the highest rating I saw...and yeah, while I'm sure he can play, I'm skeptical that he's that good.  Notwithstanding the scouting report in your next post, I think he gets the benefit of the doubt because of his name.

...but, we'll see...

• Like 1

Just now, FKIM01 said:

That was the highest rating I saw...and yeah, while I'm sure he can play, I'm skeptical that he's that good.  Notwithstanding the scouting report in your next post, I think he gets the benefit of the doubt because of his name.

...but, we'll see...

Yes, no doubt.  If you have to pick a team, his pedigree is a factor.