2023 Class Rankings and Discussion

KDB

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

That was the highest rating I saw...and yeah, while I'm sure he can play, I'm skeptical that he's that good.  Notwithstanding the scouting report in your next post, I think he gets the benefit of the doubt because of his name.

...but, we'll see...

His dad can fund a nice NIL program for whatever school his son attends

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, definitely more at play here than the talent question.  Some school will have to decide if the circus is worth it.

Will he ever go to school though? 

I think LeBron wants him in the NBA ASAP... He wants the basketball version of the Griffeys or Howes...

And Jeanie Buss would do it for him... 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 12:16 AM, FKIM01 said:

Bronny James on the McDonald's AA team, despite not showing up in any top 25 list I've found. Two legit questions:

Does having a famous father gain you spots in the rankings?

Would he make the McD roster without a famous father?

I have opinions on both.  Will be interesting to see how far that last name carries Bronny.

I don't think it normally matters much but, in this case, being Lebron's son I believe has helped his ranking. 

No way he's a burger boy if he wasn't Lebron's son.

7 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

I don't think it normally matters much but, in this case, being Lebron's son I believe has helped his ranking. 

No way he's a burger boy if he wasn't Lebron's son.

That's my suspicion as well.  I don't doubt he has talent and I'm sure being LeBron's son has afforded him more opportunities to develop his talent.  I just suspect that name has also inflated his ranking a bit.

I'm assuming the 2023 class is about closed at this point and it seems odd to go so long without someone announcing their verbal intent to sign. Two guards signed. Is it portal or bust now for anyone else in 2023?

Is there a recruiting insider on here? Should IU fans expect an announcement for any class in the near future? 

Edited by Euroclydon

1 hour ago, Euroclydon said:

I'm assuming the 2023 class is about closed at this point and it seems odd to go so long without someone announcing their verbal intent to sign. Two guards signed. Is it portal or bust now for anyone else in 2023?

Is there a recruiting insider on here? Should IU fans expect an announcement for any class in the near future? 

I am noooo recruiting expert, novice, and am about the farthest away from in the know. This is all in my small head and feelings.

I think the notable '23 targets are already committed. as far as targets are concerned there isnt much out there i can find for the class. I think the hope is at the end of the year pounce on someone that is committed elsewhere but a coaching change has or will happen... i.e. Notre Dame, Texas, maybe OSU, and whoever else falls... But also the transfer portal. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I am noooo recruiting expert, novice, and am about the farthest away from in the know. This is all in my small head and feelings.

I think the notable '23 targets are already committed. as far as targets are concerned there isnt much out there i can find for the class. I think the hope is at the end of the year pounce on someone that is committed elsewhere but a coaching change has or will happen... i.e. Notre Dame, Texas, maybe OSU, and whoever else falls... But also the transfer portal. 

Man, I hope something transpires bc I’m concerned about a massive drop off next year. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Just a guess but I think CMW learned a valuable lesson last year. Supposedly there was a couple of highly touted players wanted to transfer in. There was no room. CMW knows how to play the free agent system this year will be different.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Add a piece or two in the portal. #1 most important is develop your own, though. 

Banks, MR, Bates, and JG can all be guys for us next year. 

bring in a veteran point guard, a veteran piece in the front court, and snag one of these decommits with coaching change. Would love to keep the streak going with Tamar, Malik, then ???

Veteran guard depending on JHS deceision.

Edited by ledies22
adding
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Just a guess but I think CMW learned a valuable lesson last year. Supposedly there was a couple of highly touted players wanted to transfer in. There was no room. CMW knows how to play the free agent system this year will be different.

There wasn't any way for him to make any more room though. Only thing we could have done is ask LD, Leal, JG to leave or ask Gunn not to sign. 

I mean, we did have 4 guys leave and replaced them with JHS, MR, Banks, and Gunn, so we had a pretty sizable roster turnover as it was. I think that transfer talk was a bit blown out of proportion because I don't believe those guys were coming here with XJ, JHS, and TJD taking up A LOT of shots. 

Plus.. you 3/4 spots were mostly already set. We didn't have mins for a transfer, unless someone important transferred. 

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

bring in a veteran point guard, a veteran piece in the front court, and snag one of these decommits with coaching change. Would love to keep the streak going with Tamar, Malik, then ???

Not sure you'd need a vet PG unless JHS moves on, but I have no issue having a plethora of dudes that can handle it. 

And yeah, would love another '23, as well. The odds are... we are probably going to have a player leave via transfer, and not just Kopp, TJD, Race, and XJ. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

There wasn't any way for him to make any more room though. Only thing we could have done is ask LD, Leal, JG to leave or ask Gunn not to sign. 

I mean, we did have 4 guys leave and replaced them with JHS, MR, Banks, and Gunn, so we had a pretty sizable roster turnover as it was. I think that transfer talk was a bit blown out of proportion because I don't believe those guys were coming here with XJ, JHS, and TJD taking up A LOT of shots. 

Plus.. you 3/4 spots were mostly already set. We didn't have mins for a transfer, unless someone important transferred. 

Yea I get that but I think going forward transfers will be a good part of roster management.

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Not sure you'd need a vet PG unless JHS moves on, but I have no issue having a plethora of dudes that can handle it. 

And yeah, would love another '23, as well. The odds are... we are probably going to have a player leave via transfer, and not just Kopp, TJD, Race, and XJ. 

I made the edit 8 minutes ago, and you posted 7 minutes ago. learn to read. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

and honestly.... assuming JHS moves on, i am okay with a bit of a down year. IDK why, but i love our young talent. Would love to watch all of these guys to gel and grow up in IU uniform. Could be a Villanova type team in a couple years.

Cupps, Newton, Bates, Gunn, Galloway, Malik, Banks, LD with his jumper. Probably missing someone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

and honestly.... assuming JHS moves on, i am okay with a bit of a down year. IDK why, but i love our young talent. Would love to watch all of these guys to gel and grow up in IU uniform. Could be a Villanova type team in a couple years.

Cupps, Newton, Bates, Gunn, Galloway, Malik, Banks, LD with his jumper. Probably missing someone.

....at his rate, he's looking more and more like a first rounder. It would be awesome if he stays another year. He may decide to pull a TJD and come back for similar reasons...

26 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Next year:

JHS

Galloway

Bates

Geronimo

MR

Cupps

Gunn

Newton

Banks

Duncomb

A step back from this year, but not a bad group at all. That should still be a solid tournament team. JHS leaving would leave use a hole to fill, though. 

Love to see JHS back but I don't see it happening. Also would put Banks in the lineup over Geronimo 

Edited by IU Scott