Illinois Postgame Thread

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hartman really, really disappointed me tonight. Stupid foul late in the clock, missed two free throws then a wide open three from the top of the key in a very crucial sequence where illinois spread the lead late. That sequence probably cost us the game as much or more than Greens last play. 

Just now, Hoosier82 said:

Accountability and putting in the work. Is anyone on this team a better free throw shooter than last year? If it was one bad game here and there fine but this is a huge problem and so far nothing is being done to fix it. Rather it’s getting worse

Newkirk, Rojo, McSwain and Green were all shooting a higher percentage this year than they did last year.

Any slight chance of making the tourney just went down the drain. Less a miracle conference tourney run, it’s time to play for next season. Green and Durham need to get more time than Newkirk from here on out. Our guard play is horrific. These two need to learn on the job. Free throw shooting? Should never be that bad at this level. I’d make those guys stay after practice and shoot until they make 20 in a row. The positive, I see purpose on both ends of the floor. We are just short-handed and not very talented right now. 

16 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

18 Turnovers and 25 Personal Fouls and 16-29 from the free throw line show lack of mental toughness and accountability. This may be an unpopular position but mine is this loss is on Archie. He’s not getting these guys prepared to play on the road. You can’t beat anyone with this level of basketball IQ

He did not miss on those free throws and he had the team ready enough to be up 9 with a couple of minutes to go in the first half.

Our guards were atrocious tonight. 

Pour free throw shooting was a flat-out embarrassment. 

This wont be popular, but the officials absolutely, 100% ruined that game. We’re better than Illinois, but the refs decided to take the game over and turn it into a free throw contest, which we clearly won’t win. Homestly, the Big Ten should be appalled and embarrassed by that display. 

No, this loss was not on Archie. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Our guards were atrocious tonight. 

Pour free throw shooting was a flat-out embarrassment. 

This wont be popular, but the officials absolutely, 100% ruined that game. We’re better than Illinois, but the refs decided to take the game over and turn it into a free throw contest, which we clearly won’t win. Homestly, the Big Ten should be appalled and embarrassed by that display. 

No, this loss was not on Archie. 

There were some head scratchers both ways but a few of the fouls on us were mind-boggling. 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have never  disliked an IU player except for some of the knuckleheads that Sampson brought in.  Saying that I can not stand watching Green play and think it would be best for him to look elsewhere after this season.

I do not dislike him, and when under control he had a good first half, 3 assists and 0 turnovers.  He has too much as Archie called it  "street in his game" for my liking.  That is fine at times, but not under 10 seconds to go down 2 with the ball.  I too think he needs to go as I do not see him changing to fit the style, while I can see Al turning into a decent back up PG.  I just really hop Phinesse is as good as people keep saying he is.

And the winner of the Green vs. Newkirk debate is... NO ONE!!!

It’s funny, because I thought things were looking pretty good for me and the other members of Team Green while Newkirk was shitting his pants in the first half and Green was playing pretty well.  But not to be outdone, Green took it upon himself to pretty much lose us the game singlehandedly at the end.  Newkirk should be thanking Archie for keeping him on the bench for the whole second half so he didn’t have a chance to blow it.

Just now, KoB2011 said:

There were some head scratchers both ways but a few of the fouls on us were mind-boggling. 

I don't think it was that they were mind boggling, I just think many on both teams should have not been called at all.  There were a lot of very limited contact fouls called tonight, that were in no way called Sunday when out players were getting pulled to the ground in headlocks and run over in the middle of the lane.

That was a winnable game - disappointing to watch it slip away at the foul line.

People are all over Green it seems. I thought he was by far our best guard tonight (not that hard I guess considering how the rest of them played). But he's the only one who looked remotely comfortable against Illinois' pressure defense. He ended with 5 AST / 2 TO, I'm not going to crucify the guy because his entry pass to Morgan on the last play was a bit too low.

6 minutes ago, Shooter said:

That was a winnable game - disappointing to watch it slip away at the foul line.

People are all over Green it seems. I thought he was by far our best guard tonight (not that hard I guess considering how the rest of them played). But he's the only one who looked remotely comfortable against Illinois' pressure defense. He ended with 5 AST / 2 TO, I'm not going to crucify the guy because his entry pass to Morgan on the last play was a bit too low.

You make some good points but he had just as many bad plays as RoJo and Newkirk. I still think you put Newkirk back in the game at that point. That pass wasn’t a bit too low. It hit Morgan in his ankle any lower and it would have been an effective bounce pass

2 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

You make some good points but he had just as many bad plays as RoJo and Newkirk. I still think you put Newkirk back in the game at that point. That pass wasn’t a bit too low. It hit Morgan in his ankle any lower and it would have been an effective bounce pass

The really frustrating part is if he makes a good pass there is a decent chance we get a foul called too given how the refs were officiating it. 

7 minutes ago, Shooter said:

We do have to give him credit for how badass he looked throwing it with one hand.

11 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Green was good in the first half, but he really struggled the last 10:00 of the game. That to me is where RoJo is so disappointing. I know he’s not a point guard, but with the pressure Illinois puts on the guards, that where you’d hope a 4 year starting guard could go get the ball and do something to take the pressure off a guy like Green. Instead RoJo just stood on the wing watching the last several minutes. 

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The really frustrating part is if he makes a good pass there is a decent chance we get a foul called too given how the refs were officiating it. 

It’s almost hard to blame Green. I think the moment was too big for him. I know there are a lot of Newkirk haters here and he’s been tough to defend and deservedly so but Archie was gambling hard putting Green in that position. I think Newkirk would have made the right play but we’ll never know

In a 2 pt loss, its easy to point out dozens of details that would have changed the outcome of the game.  Many want to place it on one player with one play.  You can do that, but it may not have been the most obvious culprit for the loss.

As pointed out here and in the game thread, we stopped going through Juwan for offense.  Doing that in this game was like deciding to play left handed.  Very late in the game, we remembered we were a 'righty' and started feeding 'The Hungry'.  Juwan sat on 10/12 from the field from around the 12 minute mark to almost a minute left to go in the contest.

36 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Green was good in the first half, but he really struggled the last 10:00 of the game. That to me is where RoJo is so disappointing. I know he’s not a point guard, but with the pressure Illinois puts on the guards, that where you’d hope a 4 year starting guard could go get the ball and do something to take the pressure off a guy like Green. Instead RoJo just stood on the wing watching the last several minutes. 

It’s pretty shocking how Rob really can’t dribble the ball at all.  Was painfully obvious against Illinois’ pressure tonight.  Archie didn’t have him handling the ball at all, and it was probably the right decision.

Archived