Antiques, old stuff big and small

12 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Just started messing around with film a few years ago. I was always strictly digital, but I found a really nice Manfrotto camera case at a garage sale in my former subdivision for $10. When I picked it up, I felt it had weight in it, and there was an old Rebel 2000 SLR body in it. Asked the owner if he wanted it back and he said he hadn’t used it in years. Like I said, I have always shot Canon, so I had plenty of glass and accessories that would fit it. And now I have a free 35mm SLR. 

Nice! I have an employee at work, young millennial girl, who shoots film and even develops color film at home. Not sure how we got to talking about it, but she’s really into it. I’m loaning her my Hasselblad b/c she’s never shot medium format. 

On 4/6/2022 at 11:49 AM, Billingsley99 said:

Do share.

I have found that discussions that has @5fouls in them seem to bring some smiles and laughs so I will say that 5fouls he collects ex wives and I assume they are now old.  😀

This is hilarious! The very first thing that popped into my mind.... Make an @5fouls joke post now!

Golf clap to you sir!!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

100-year-old war axe, spear, and bow from Africa.

Dark wood is ebony.  Not sure about the bow.  Metal is hand-forged iron.  Been in our family since they were made.

The items aren't worth much.  There are places on line that specialize in selling things similar. 

adz, spear, bow.JPG

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Your family is from africa, or they just bought them new at the time?

My grandfather was a captain of a commercial trading ship.  Crew of about 30.  Went all over the world.  He got the above items on one of the Africa trips.

He got this letter opener, below, from Alaska.  Carved from walrus tusk.  Interesting that it has a plane on it.  I think that was a big deal to the artist.

None of these things are worth much, if anything.  Just kind of unusual.

image.thumb.jpeg.8d155777c1c8f54e463dc66c5de8fd43.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

My grandfather was a captain of a commercial trading ship.  Crew of about 30.  Went all over the world.  He got the above items on one of the Africa trips.

He got this letter opener, below, from Alaska.  Carved from walrus tusk.  Interesting that it has a plane on it.  I think that was a big deal to the artist.

Sometimes the cool factor or uniqueness is all the value something needs. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

So you're "The Eggman." 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

I bet your Grandfather had a story or a thousand to tell?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

I get it!!!! I remember buying a Sergei Federov jersey in Russia, like 15 years ago. It wasn't a Redwings jersey, but a Russian team jersey. I thought it would be a cool present for my son since he is a Redwings fan! Asked him a few years later what happened to it, he didn't even remember having it????? I imagine that 100 years later our family could have had some really cool memories? But alas??

28 minutes ago, rico said:

I bet your Grandfather had a story or a thousand to tell?

He was captain of one of two identical company ships returning from the southern hemisphere.  Bringing, of all things, dozens of large animals for East Coast zoos.  There were giraffes and zebras on both decks.   

Anyway, as they sailed up the coast, terrible weather set in, with dangerous seas.  They had to decide:  go closer to shore, or further out to sea.  Both choices had risks.  No guarantee either way.  

The other captain chose out to sea.  STRONGLY encouraged my father and his navigator to do the same.  Said lives were at stake (which was true).  It was a full blown hurricane coming down on them.  Closer to shore meant the shallow water would bring higher waves. 

My grandfather chose closer to shore anyway.  The two ships parted ways.

My grandfather's ship made it safely.  The ship that went further out to sea was never heard from again.  Not a thing was ever found.  No radio contact.  Just gone.

20 years ago, I found a newspaper clipping of the story online.  Can't find it now.  The story, and the people, have been lost to history.  

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

He was captain of one of two identical company ships returning from the southern hemisphere.  Bringing, of all things, dozens of large animals for East Coast zoos.  There were giraffes and zebras on both decks.   

Anyway, as they sailed up the coast, terrible weather set in, with dangerous seas.  They had to decide:  go closer to shore, or further out to sea.  Both choices had risks.  No guarantee either way.  

The other captain chose out to sea.  STRONGLY encouraged my father and his navigator to do the same.  Said lives were at stake (which was true).  It was a full blown hurricane coming down on them.  Closer to shore meant the shallow water would bring higher waves. 

My grandfather chose closer to shore anyway.  The two ships parted ways.

My grandfather's ship made it safely.  The ship that went further out to sea was never heard from again.  Not a thing was ever found.  No radio contact.  Just gone.

20 years ago, I found a newspaper clipping of the story online.  Can't find it now.  The story, and the people, have been lost to history.  

So much history is lost, simply because!!! Worse, it allow's media and others to rewrite it!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Madison22 said:

I read this three times, as "my Grandfather was a captive" of.....

Wow I am glad I was persistent and read the rest of this thread. Those are amazing pieces and even better stories.

What year(s) approx would those ships have battled (and went down) during the hurricane? And where about's? 

I have an acquaintance who is a VERY successful Underwater Archeology Prof at IU. He may be intrigued with the story.

He is commented in being part of finding the Santa Maria.  Finding the Santa Maria    

• Like 1