Players declaring for the draft

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For the most part, either go or stay.  For him personally I think it is the right thing to do but I am more worried how it effects IU going forward

But, he shouldn't make the decision based on what's best for Hoosier fans.  He should make a decision based on what is best for him.  And, if the rules allow for him to take this course of action, that's what he should do.  Players from every other college get the opportunity to declare and come back.  Why shouldn't Hoosier players be able to do the same?  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

But, he shouldn't make the decision based on what's best for Hoosier fans.  He should make a decision based on what is best for him.  And, if the rules allow for him to take this course of action, that's what he should do.  Players from every other college get the opportunity to declare and come back.  Why shouldn't Hoosier players be able to do the same?  

I didn't say he shouldn't but it could effect IU or any other school having to wait.  If we had like 3 openings it wouldn't matter but right now we only have 1 available.  I just don't see any big guys committing right now because if TJD and Race comes back they won't come.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I didn't say he shouldn't but it could effect IU or any other school having to wait.  If we had like 3 openings it wouldn't matter but right now we only have 1 available.  I just don't see any big guys committing right now because if TJD and Race comes back they won't come.

Trust the coaching staff.  I’m sure they know more than anyone here does and have enough information to plan properly.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The general premise of your point is likely true.  Bigs will be reluctant to commit to IU pending on what Trayce and Race decide.  And, the later Trayce makes a final decision, the tougher it is on IU.  I don't think anyone is disputing that.

What everyone else is saying is that Trayce has the inherent right to make decisions on what is best for him.  Let's assume for an instance that you fill the Trayce role and I fill the role of Hoosier Fans in the following scenario.  In this scenario, it is in the best interest of me (Hoosier Fans) that you (Trayce) go to the bank on Monday, empty all of your accounts, and drive to Sellersburg to deliver those funds to me in a certified check.  My goal is to invest it for you in fund that could provide a huge windfall or could be a total loss.  

Now, I realize you don't owe me that money, nor do you really even know me beyond this message board.  But, Trayce does not really owe IU fans anything more either, and other than the fact that IU fans fill Assembly Hall, he doesn't really know them either.

Bottom line is that it's unreasonable for me to expect you to deliver me that certified check on Monday (though you certainly can if you want).  At the same time, it's unreasonable for IU fans to expect Trayce to make a decision until he has all the information he needs to make that decision.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For the most part, either go or stay.  For him personally I think it is the right thing to do but I am more worried how it effects IU going forward

I am not the least bit worried about how this affects IU, he has been one of the most dedicated Hoosiers of all time and if he wants to take his time then I say go for it, no matter the impact it has on the Hoosiers.

• Like 2

This is the best case scenario for TJD. It has been interesting to see the various mock drafts and how in some he is a late first rounder and in others he is undrafted. I would have been shocked for him to make a decision one way or the other without going this route. If he decides to stay and we “miss” on others, we would still be getting the best available player. If he goes and we fill the spot I completely trust it to work out as it should. This staff is clearly not in the dark concerning this situation. Best of luck to Trayce that everything works for his good. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I am not the least bit worried about how this affects IU, he has been one of the most dedicated Hoosiers of all time and if he wants to take his time then I say go for it, no matter the impact it has on the Hoosiers.

I guess we differ on what is important. I have been a fan for my whole life and players come and go and that is why I root for the name on the front of the jersey.  TJD has been a great Hoosier and hope he does what is best for him and his family.  Saying that as an IU fan I care more about IU going forward. If it is with TJD that would  be fantastic but if not it would be best to know sooner than later.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

This is going to sound harsh, so I want to say up front that I hope Trayce is able to obtain his dreams and play professionally in the NBA and blah, blah, blah... 

That being said, as a fan, I care more about how the decisions impact the team as a whole.  I don't follow the NBA...like hardly at all.  On the off chance I do sit and watch, it would be the Pacers.  I wish the IU players well when they move on to the next level but outside of that, I don't really care because I am not them, a member of their family, or really much of a fan of the team they are professionally going to play for.

So I get where Scott is coming from.  We have not had too much of this type of thing yet, but you can ask Kentucky fans how great it is when the program's focus (per the coach) is getting guys to the league.  I want to watch IU win games so having decisions drag on that could impact the team I actually watch's ability to win next year is kind of annoying.  Even if I completely get it from the player's standpoint, it is still kind of a pain in the ass.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess we differ on what is important

Yeah I guess we do, yours is selfishly thinking of only your enjoyment as a Hoosier fan. Mine is thinking this kid has been a great ambassador for the Hoosiers so I hope he takes his time and does what is best for him. If it impacts the Hoosiers, then so be it those are the breaks in life.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

This is going to sound harsh, so I want to say up front that I hope Trayce is able to obtain his dreams and play professionally in the NBA and blah, blah, blah... 

That being said, as a fan, I care more about how the decisions impact the team as a whole.  I don't follow the NBA...like hardly at all.  On the off chance I do sit and watch, it would be the Pacers.  I wish the IU players well when they move on to the next level but outside of that, I don't really care because I am not them, a member of their family, or really much of a fan of the team they are professionally going to play for.

So I get where Scott is coming from.  We have not had too much of this type of thing yet, but you can ask Kentucky fans how great it is when the program's focus (per the coach) is getting guys to the league.  I want to watch IU win games so having decisions drag on that could impact the team I actually watch's ability to win next year is kind of annoying.  Even if I completely get it from the player's standpoint, it is still kind of a pain in the ass.

see my post above

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier51 said:

Yeah I guess we do, yours is selfishly thinking of only your enjoyment as a Hoosier fan. Mine is thinking this kid has been a great ambassador for the Hoosiers so I hope he takes his time and does what is best for him. If it impacts the Hoosiers, then so be those are the breaks in life.

I guess I am selfish then because I care about the basketball program more than individual accolades.

• Confused 1

I guess where I come from is that for the first 35-40 years of being a fan we didn't have to worry about this.  I have seen all time greats who had a lot better careers at IU than TJD stay 4 years.  I know it is different today but it is why I just prefer to worry about the program than individual players.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess where I come from is that for the first 35-40 years of being a fan we didn't have to worry about this.  I have seen all time greats who had a lot better careers at IU than TJD stay 4 years.  I know it is different today but it is why I just prefer to worry about the program than individual players.

Geez, Louise Scott. I wish you could see past the end of your nose.

Maybe, just maybe, this could be a win-win for both sides. TJD follows his dreams and becomes a professional basketball player, and the IU program attracts more high level players who see his success and want to follow in his footsteps.

Doesn’t have to be either/or

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So use the players for your entertainment. I get it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

see my post above

The two thoughts can exist on the same plane.  I understand why he is doing what he is doing, I can say good luck.  I can also say that this type of thing is kind of a pain from a fan and IU program perspective as well.

This whole "selfish" thing, give me a break.  None of these guys is part of my family and I really have nothing for them outside of their attachment to the program if we are being honest. Are you following Justin Smith's career path?  He put in 3 years as a Hoosier too IIRC and decided it was best for his career to go someplace else too.  I can wish them well but I have not personally talked to an IU player since I was on campus in the late 90's and early 2000's.  Al Durham put in for the draft, you all sending positive ju-ju his way?  Some of you guys act like discussing how this decision timeframe kind of sucks for the program is an affront to a guy who A)is likely not reading here B)has no idea who the majority of us are and C)could give a rat's behind about our opinion anyway.

The timeline sucks.  That isn't Trayce's fault, he is operating within the rules and is doing what is best for him.  Good for him.  That doesn't mean that the rule doean't kind of suck and could lead to less enjoyment for all of us next year.  

Selfish is just nonsense. By that logic Trayce is being selfish by robbing me of potential enjoyment of watching IU games next year.  

The very minute interaction I have with the players is transactional.  I am just willing to admit it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Geez, Louise Scott. I wish you could see past the end of your nose.

Maybe, just maybe, this could be a win-win for both sides. TJD follows his dreams and becomes a professional basketball player, and the IU program attracts more high level players who see his success and want to follow in his footsteps.

Doesn’t have to be either/or

I never said he shouldn't do what he is doing but I just hope it doesn't drag on to long to where we miss out on possible replacements. Just call me selfish because I will always worry about the program over individual players.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So use the players for your entertainment. I get it. 

We are all doing that.  Every last one of us.  And they are "using" our interest to get their education paid for while they are hopefully building a chance for a pro career.

And oh yeah, also using our interest to hopefully pull in some 6 figure NIL deals along the way too.