New topic- IU Fandom

Started paying attention to IU basketball as a kid around 1973, primarily because of George McGinnis and the hope he'd end up with the Pacers (they were my #1 interest then).  Really got into IU with the 74-75 season.

Most memorable season was probably the 80-81 one, mostly because of how that team just became an absolute juggernaut as the tourney began.  The day of the final was insane with IU playing for the title and a presidential assasination attempt earlier in the day.

• Like 2

75-76 season is first one I remember.  I was 10.  Dad would carry a 13 inch black and white tv with foil on the antenna around the house trying to get Channel 4.  If that did not work, we listened on a transistor radio.

I vividly remember being distraught when we were down at half to Michigan in the championship game.  I was sure we were going to lose.

Dont personally remember 74-75, but my dad talked about it all the time.  He was one of those that was adamant that team was better than 76, primarily because is Steve Green, who was local to the area.

Favorite team was Calbert's senior year.  Absolutely loved that group of players.  

Favorite moment was the Smart Shot for many years, but I have to say the WatShot passed it up, though not immediately.  The recency, it being UK, and the storming the court has, over time, really stuck with me.

Woodson was actually my favorite player until Vic came along.  I've soured on Vic the last few years.  Yogi, Guyton, Smart, Henderson, and of course Calbert are up there among my favorites.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

1) Late 70s early 80s My oldest memory is 81 title team. My family has always been IU fans, both my brothers and I graduated from IU. 

2) Memories and favorites. Way too many (not enough lately) but the 81 and 87 title runs, 2002 tourney (watched games across the country on a road trip) and the 90s teams stick out (graduated in 96). Edwards game winners. UNLV 87. Any Duke and UK wins (especially in the tourney). The old school TV angle of Assembly Hall. One of my brothers was at the 87 title game and you could see him at various times on TV during the game and at half time. CBK talk show.  Martha the Mop Lady. CBK basketball camp. Players: Zeke, Alford, Smart, Daryl Thomas, Alford, Uwe, R. Calloway, Sleepy Jay, Greg Graham, Bailey, A. Henderson, Calbert, Eric Anderson, Brian Evans, A. Patterson, Guyton, Jeffries, E. Gordon, Yogi, TJD. 

Go Hoosiers. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

I’m 68, so basically from the time Knight was hired until today. You could see the momentum building immediately with Knight’s presence, beginning with the 71-72 team that had Joby Wright and Steve Downing. Of course, that was followed by the 75 and 76 teams that may have been the best college basketball has ever seen. Over the years there have been so many good teams and great players that it’s hard to list them all, but one of my favorites was CMW. I believe we’re truly on the way back with Woody at the helm, and I haven’t been this optimistic (and excited) in a long time….go Hoosiers!

Like a few others, I am an old timer. Got sucked in to being a Hoosier fan watching us get screwed when Downing was called for some bogus fouls v UCLA. Fan ever since.

Different than others, my favorite memories are from Crean’s first team. To watch a group of guys who had no business wearing the candy stripes play their hearts out. To see them win a few games, even a conference game… confirmed for me that wearing a Hoosier uniform was a privilege. I know that the results were horrible, but those guys are my all time favorite team

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I grew up in Bloomington and became a fan during that time. I vaguely recall watching the during the 1987 season but I was only 9 when they won the championship. It was a few years later that I really got into watching college basketball during the early 90's when IU had some great teams. Those are still my favorite teams, with '92-'93 barely edging out '91-'92 even though they didn't get to the FF that season.

Just now, go_iu_bb said:

I grew up in Bloomington and became a fan during that time. I vaguely recall watching the during the 1987 season but I was only 9 when they won the championship. It was a few years later that I really got into watching college basketball during the early 90's when IU had some great teams. Those are still my favorite teams, with '92-'93 barely edging out '91-'92 even though they didn't get to the FF that season.

Love those teams but I thought the 92 team was deeper than the 93 team.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Different than others, my favorite memories are from Crean’s first team. To watch a group of guys who had no business wearing the candy stripes play their hearts out. To see them win a few games, even a conference game… confirmed for me that wearing a Hoosier uniform was a privilege. I know that the results were horrible, but those guys are my all time favorite team

Quoting this, so it’s not overlooked. Really something to consider. Nicely written. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My grandparents got me into IU basketball. My grandmother, who is now 93, never misses an IU basketball game and I still like talking to her about the team.

First season was 1975. I always watched every game on a ratty B&W TV and then immediately afterwards, I would run out into my backyard and relive the key plays on my smallish basketball court. I was seven years old in 1975 and didn’t really realize the differences between the regular season and the tournament. They were all just games to me. And we always won, so I kind of thought we were like the Harlem Globetrotters. 

Favorite season would probably be the 1981 run, but also 1976. Have a soft spot for those early 90’s teams too. Lots of amazing memories as a Hoosier fan. Was the reason I decided to go to IU for my degree. 

• Like 1