Brandon Newman Commits to Purdue

milehiiu

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Well, the Illinois team is a lot closer to his town of Valparaiso than any other meaningful options that play on the three major circuits. 

Was a time when Robbie Hummel, Scott Martin ( out of Valpo), along with E'twan Moore played for SYF out of Gary.  I realize that is not Illinois.  Yet they chose to stay close to home rather than pick one of the better known AAU teams in the other part of Indiana.

You don't have to answer this coach.  But if memory serves me correctly.... didn't you coach AAU in Illinois for a time ?

22 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Was a time when Robbie Hummel, Scott Martin ( out of Valpo), along with E'twan Moore played for SYF out of Gary.  I realize that is not Illinois.  Yet they chose to stay close to home rather than pick one of the better known AAU teams in the other part of Indiana.

You don't have to answer this coach.  But if memory serves me correctly.... didn't you coach AAU in Illinois for a time ?

SYF Players was always a pretty good program. Does anyone remember Coach Betts,  he had Jason Gardner on a team and for the life of me I can't remember the team name. I think coach Betts was or is a police officer.

45 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

SYF Players was always a pretty good program. Does anyone remember Coach Betts,  he had Jason Gardner on a team and for the life of me I can't remember the team name. I think coach Betts was or is a police officer.

Web page for PU says Gardner's AAU team was No Excuses.

OldGoldFreePress.com Purdue Basketball and Football Information, Recruiting, and Forums

Does that sound right ?

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think his ranking will soar this summer.  He may end up top 50.  

Hey Abe, err, I mean Bob.  Oh whatever the heck your name is.  LOL.   It's interesting how Brandon Newman's star has risen, when I started this thread in January.... from a relative unknown... slightly dissed player, with only two minor college offers.... to possibly one of the best players in the nation.

Oh, that's what I love about following young undiscovered men.... with BB talent. 

And as we saw, earlier in this thread. Thanks to China..... Archie has already said....Hello Newman  

Do you detect a theme here ? 

Yeah, if he does take off, it’s nice that Archie has put the work in beforehand.  

TJD

Brooks

Newman

Hemenway

That may very well be a great 2019 class and perhaps not out of the question.   Plus,  it’s within Archie’s strategy of inside-out recruiting.  Hitting all corners of the state and recruiting out from there.  Long way to go, and can’t get ahead of ourselves, but I like Archie’s approach.  

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yeah, if he does take off, it’s nice that Archie has put the work in beforehand.  

TJD

Brooks

Newman

Hemenway

That may very well be a great 2019 class and perhaps not out of the question.   Plus,  it’s within Archie’s strategy of inside-out recruiting.  Hitting all corners of the state and recruiting out from there.  Long way to go, and can’t get ahead of ourselves, but I like Archie’s approach.  

That would be a great class and love to get a guy who is a great shooter like Hemenway.  He would be an ideal 4th person to a class but not a top player of a class.

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Kinda feel like "Boiler" in this thread, attending Chesterton, Valpo was our biggest antagonist and hard to find anything positive about them!

IMHO, part of what makes Hoosier Sports Nation great, is the convergence of apposing fan bases, coming together in a manner of civil discourse.

Two great schools.  Chesterton and Valpo.  Do some research, on what I consider to have been one of the greatest high school coaches ever, from NWI..... Virgil Sweet of Valpo.

And of course, Chesterton has produced several recent great D-1 B1G players.

And I bet.... should Newman become a Hoosier, even though from Valpo, you too will be rooting for him.... along with me.  LOL

• 1 month later...

2-3 scholarships available depending on what Romeo does has us a little tied. 2019 class has some tough choices on where you show your love. I know he's gaining interest but it's not like his offer list isn't something we can't overcome in a couple of months. We grabbed Damezi from same AAU program. I'm sure an offer will happen but I don't see the benefit of rushing yet. 

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

2-3 scholarships available depending on what Romeo does has us a little tied. 2019 class has some tough choices on where you show your love. I know he's gaining interest but it's not like his offer list isn't something we can't overcome in a couple of months. We grabbed Damezi from same AAU program. I'm sure an offer will happen but I don't see the benefit of rushing yet. 

I'm just not sure it is rushing at this point.  2019 guys are starting to commit.  I just don't want to come in last minute after Purdue, OSU, probably Northwestern, Illinois, Michigan and others.  I'd feel different if I felt good about our other guard offers, but I don't.

Archived