HSN Fantasy Football

Looking to liven up the dialogue here.  I understand no one wants to share too much prior to the draft.  But, here is a topic I think is fairly safe.

Name 1 player you feel is overrated as a fantasy player.

• I'll go with AJ Brown.  Current ADP is WR11 and 28 overall.  WR11 in a run-heavy offense with a QB that still has a lot to prove as a passer?  I see him more in the 16-18 range.    

Who is yours?

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Looking to liven up the dialogue here.  I understand no one wants to share too much prior to the draft.  But, here is a topic I think is fairly safe.

• I'll go with AJ Brown.  Current ADP is WR11 and 28 overall.  WR11 in a run-heavy offense with a QB that still has a lot to prove as a passer?  I see him more in the 16-18 range.    

Who is yours?

CMC (as it relates to ADP), Zeke (not even best RB on his team), hate to bang on the local kid but McLaurin never lives up to his preseason hype....Barkley (see CMC)...few others.

The thing that hurts my brain the most this time of year is deciphering coach speak for RB's. For example. I had Javonte Williams as my breakout rookie last year. All season long we waited as we did for Antonio Gibson year before....and it was still timeshare. Now Javonte coming back for year 2 and coach says both RB's are on pitch count while Gordon said over weekend.....they want Javonte to be the man.

Broncos, Eagles, Patriots, Dolphins, always Seattle....couple other RB situations I'd sure like some clarity on before 9/6 when most $ league drafts happen.

35 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

CMC (as it relates to ADP), Zeke (not even best RB on his team), hate to bang on the local kid but McLaurin never lives up to his preseason hype....Barkley (see CMC)...few others.

The thing that hurts my brain the most this time of year is deciphering coach speak for RB's. For example. I had Javonte Williams as my breakout rookie last year. All season long we waited as we did for Antonio Gibson year before....and it was still timeshare. Now Javonte coming back for year 2 and coach says both RB's are on pitch count while Gordon said over weekend.....they want Javonte to be the man.

Broncos, Eagles, Patriots, Dolphins, always Seattle....couple other RB situations I'd sure like some clarity on before 9/6 when most $ league drafts happen.

Javonte will only deliver at a level equal to his hype if Gordon gets hurt.  Gordon still produces too much to relegate him to a true  backup role.  The other thing to consider is Wilson does not throw to the backs a lot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Javonte will only deliver at a level equal to his hype if Gordon gets hurt.  Gordon still produces too much to relegate him to a true  backup role.  The other thing to consider is Wilson does not throw to the backs a lot.

Yep. For guys like me who try to avoid RB's early I'm always trying to find 5-6 guys in rounds 5+ who I think are good for 14 touches a game. Only a few candidates so far. Will wait to see how things shake out this week and next. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Miami is the most up in the air of that group.  I think the others have a defined favorite and/or a clear map of how the job share will work.  Miami truly looks like a hat draw every Sunday morning.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I don’t know if anyone pays attention but  check out Melvin Gordon’s TD totals the last 6 years…crazy good. Basically double digit tds (adding receiving) and approximately 1100 all purpose yards a year. Like you said…to good to ignore…he is a solid back. They will keep Williams on a pitch count but he will still get 2/3 the carries imo.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Who is yours?

Supposedly he has a repore with Hurts…like best friends. We will see…he can be a monster when healthy. Imo my overrated is James Connor. Guy has never stayed healthy except mostly last year and got like a million goal line carries. I don’t see him playing more than 12 games this year…nor Arizona having nearly the offense they had.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Supposedly he has a repore with Hurts…like best friends. We will see…he can be a monster when healthy. Imo my overrated is James Connor. Guy has never stayed healthy except mostly last year and got like a million goal line carries. I don’t see him playing more than 12 games this year…nor Arizona having nearly the offense they had.

I just remember getting burned by Conner in more than one league last year when he had 3 Td's in a game and scored almost 40 Fantasy points.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

Asking you guys some advice for my non-HSN league.  It's a 10 team, 2 QB league.  So, you can expect every team to carry a minimum of 3 QBs, which just about uses up every starter.  And, I'm sure some teams will grab 4.  My plan is to just draft 3 though.

There is a 15 QB pool for which I would be happy to have my 2 starters come from:  Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Jackson, Murray, Hurts, Brady, Rodgers, Prescott, Burrow, Wilson, Stafford, Lance, Carr, and Cousins.

My first question is this.  What if the draft plays out and I only get 1 of those 15 in the group above.  Which of the following QBs from what I will call Pool B would you target to be a QB2:  Tua, Lawrence, Fields, Ryan, Winston, M. Jones, D. Jones.

And, if by chance my 3rd QB has to come from this pool, who would you target:  Tannehill, Wentz, Wilson, Mayfield, Goff, Mariotta, Pickett/Trubisky, Mills, Lock/Smith, Brissett. 

Finally, would you take D. Watson as a 4th QB (wasted roster spot for 11 weeks)? 

So......There are actually ESPN Fantasy Leagues where people drafted J. Taylor, but don't have him in their starting lineup?

That would mean you've intentionally taken him out of your starting lineup, or he was the 3rd RB you drafted (or 2nd in a 1 RB league), which means other teams passed on him multiple times as well.  Neither of those fall into a category my brain can comprehend.  

image.png.4543b9f31648e76c607f3f3368949847.png

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

• 5fouls changed the title to 1 Open Spot - HSN Fantasy Football - Friday Deadline

We have had a spot open up in one of our 2 HSN Fantasy Football Leagues.  We're opening it back up to the board until EOD Friday, at which time we have a contingency in place to fill it.  However, we wanted to give someone on the board who may have missed the original opportunity the chance to fill the spot first.  Deadline to claim the spot is 11:59 P.M. on Friday, August 26th.  First come, first serve.  The draft is scheduled for 8:00 PM on Sunday, August 28th.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Asking you guys some advice for my non-HSN league.  It's a 10 team, 2 QB league.  So, you can expect every team to carry a minimum of 3 QBs, which just about uses up every starter.  And, I'm sure some teams will grab 4.  My plan is to just draft 3 though.

There is a 15 QB pool for which I would be happy to have my 2 starters come from:  Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Jackson, Murray, Hurts, Brady, Rodgers, Prescott, Burrow, Wilson, Stafford, Lance, Carr, and Cousins.

My first question is this.  What if the draft plays out and I only get 1 of those 15 in the group above.  Which of the following QBs from what I will call Pool B would you target to be a QB2:  Tua, Lawrence, Fields, Ryan, Winston, M. Jones, D. Jones.

And, if by chance my 3rd QB has to come from this pool, who would you target:  Tannehill, Wentz, Wilson, Mayfield, Goff, Mariotta, Pickett/Trubisky, Mills, Lock/Smith, Brissett. 

Finally, would you take D. Watson as a 4th QB (wasted roster spot for 11 weeks)? 

I think tua could put up stats this year.  Ryan has always been a stat guy.  Winston goes yard but the ints.  Has Russell Wilson fallen off that bad?  Can you not just grab guys off the waiver once a guy gets injured or benched? 

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I think tua could put up stats this year.  Ryan has always been a stat guy.  Winston goes yard but the ints.  Has Russell Wilson fallen off that bad?  Can you not just grab guys off the waiver once a guy gets injured or benched? 

The Wilson listed in the 2nd group is Zach, not Russ.  I have Russ in group 1.

The third QB would be to cover bye weeks since 2 will always be starting.  The bench is deep, so I would rather have the 3rd available for bye and not have to worry about other teams carrying 4 QBs.  Ir, if the available starting QBs have the same bye as mine, I would be screwed.

• Like 1

• 5fouls changed the title to HSN Fantasy Football
11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

First answer is I'm a Matt Ryan believer. Not saying he's my starter but I'm going to try and make him part of my teams this year. Next group I'd go Baker/Mills. Both teams will likely be down often this year and allow for plenty of 4th quarter garbage time yards/points.

As far as Watson goes. Everyone has their own strategies on what to do with their bench. I'm not planning on using up a valuable bench spot for him for that long. I might put a note starting around week 7 on calendar to see what things look like. Matchups vs Bengals, Ravens, Saints, Washington during playoffs seem good for points. Just depends I guess but I'm not planning on looking at him for a couple of months if at all. 

• Like 1

I'm in a 3-year-old $50 season keeper League.  The commissioner comes out this season and says we're going to change the rules on keepers and they are going to start losing 50% of their drafted position annually so for instance I grabbed Mark Andrews 13th round Year One starting next year he would take up my 7th pick instead of my 13th as a keeper.  The following he would become a 4th rounder.  No no discussion or anything, well a bunch of us pushed back and we come up with some other options.  Option A keep it as is, option b is they lose 50%, and option c is they lose 1/3 of their drafted value.  

What would you vote and why? 

48 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm in a 3-year-old $50 season keeper League.  The commissioner comes out this season and says we're going to change the rules on keepers and they are going to start losing 50% of their drafted position annually so for instance I grabbed Mark Andrews 13th round Year One starting next year he would take up my 7th pick instead of my 13th as a keeper.  The following he would become a 4th rounder.  No no discussion or anything, well a bunch of us pushed back and we come up with some other options.  Option A keep it as is, option b is they lose 50%, and option c is they lose 1/3 of their drafted value.  

I would vote for keep as/is.  You should be rewarded for that good initial call.

It's my first year in a keeper league.  It's also IDP with a deep roster (26 spots: 16 start, 10 bench).  I've been told by someone other than the commish that the keeper rules will be up to 6 with no round attachment.  So, basically they would be your first 6 picks next season.  I like the round designation approach better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

No way would be my vote. So those that can see down the road are being in a way harmed by being good at picking future players.

I'd say sure we can institute your rule....but in 2-3 years out. No way I'd be part of a dynasty league that changes the rules like that. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Tua is poised to have a big year imo. Not like Patrick Mahomes big but like I’d say Joe Burrow type season. He has so many weapons he can’t help but succeed. Edmonds is a great receiving back, Geiseki solid TE, Hill and Waddle elite receivers, cedrick Wilson is decent. I like his chances.

From what I’ve seen though Tua goes earlier than some in your tier 1. Carr and Cousins typically go off the board later. Good chance you can land either of those guys and 1 top 10 guy. Ryan will likely be there late for your third qb. My experience in super flex is you will have to draft qb in rd 1 or 2 to get one of the elite guys like Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Jackson, Burrow, Hurts….the rest start flying off shortly later. I’d also say if I landed Jackson I’d take Hundley last rd or so as a handcuff. I think he is starter worthy if he is called upon. Just have a plan for which combo you want…bad thing is you can’t have two guys with same bye unless you plan to punt that week. 

Oh and watch auto draft…..see it every time…you think everyone has two qbs and it’s safe to wait for your third but auto draft will take a high rated qb for some guy with two already and you could miss out on a target….sucks but it happens.

I will say…in only a 10 player league…superflex or two qb is the only way to go…it adds an extra diminsion that just isn’t there when the waiver is full of good players and it’s dumb to have 10-12 decent qbs sitting on the wire that could be used to play with.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

So how do you do an odd round? Honestly it matters a lot…so what do you do with a 3rd rd guy? Is it 1 rd or 2 they move up. It’s kind of weird. Also 1/3 would make uneven too. Are you rounding up or down? Most just keep it simple and they move up 1 or 2 Rds each year. I agree they need to move up…so there is some movement in the league and some strategy to keeping guys. If you guys want to scrap the round thing altogether then I say you just are allowed to keep for 3 years…then it’s like they become free agents in real life and it opens up. Also makes trades interesting because they may only have 1 more year of eligibility or you can trade an expiring contract for draft picks. I just prefer the 2 rd deal. Also how many can you keep? Most are like 2,3, 4 guys. I don’t see an issue with putting some rules around keepers…to just have ultimate forever keepers is basically a dynasty league and that has pluses and minuses but can mean the balance of power wont change much. It’s a pay league so definitely should vote on it..or let people have their money back if you are changing the rules.

Edited by dgambill