IU vs PU pre game thread

11 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Purdue may have the advantage at most positions on the floor. The value of an outstanding coach cannot be ignored though.

One of RMK's abilities that made him a HOF coach was his ability to lead a team that was less skilled or less athletic and beat what were considered to be superior teams. I think CAM has the same capability and I think that we'll see it tomorrow 

But he hasn't shown he can do it with this team.  Any thinking that he can do it is based on faith other than actual results so far.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

But he hasn't shown he can do it with this team.  Any thinking that he can do it is based on faith other than actual results so far.

I have to disagree. Who knows what would have happened if Archie...I mean, De'Ron...would have hit his 4 free throws down the stretch against Duke. 

I think it's been fairly clear that we have had good game plans. I think its been fairly clear that we get open shots. Getting open shots is on the coach. Hitting open shots is on the players. Hitting free throws...and not being ranked 315th in the country in FT% is on the players. 

From an X's and O's standpoint, Archie has not been overmatched. 

34 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Well, Purdue has a big talent advantage and you're nervous. Must be because deep down you know Painter is a less than stellar coach. 

Or maybe it’s the fact that it’s never easy to win in Bloomington? Similar Purdue teams have had trouble with way worse IU teams. But yeah it must be because of my thoughts on Painter. Lol

1 hour ago, cohete15 said:

I have to disagree. Who knows what would have happened if Archie...I mean, De'Ron...would have hit his 4 free throws down the stretch against Duke. 

I think it's been fairly clear that we have had good game plans. I think its been fairly clear that we get open shots. Getting open shots is on the coach. Hitting open shots is on the players. Hitting free throws...and not being ranked 315th in the country in FT% is on the players. 

From an X's and O's standpoint, Archie has not been overmatched. 

That's exactly my point.  We aren't talking about what Archie is going to do with a team in a few years.  We're talking about what we'll do tomorrow.  With this year's team we haven't shown the ability to knock off teams we shouldn't.  Not saying it is an indictment on his coaching.

4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Or maybe it’s the fact that it’s never easy to win in Bloomington? Similar Purdue teams have had trouble with way worse IU teams. But yeah it must be because of my thoughts on Painter. Lol

Yes, we are all aware Crean is a better coach than Painter. You really think Painter is as good of an x and o coach as Archie?

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, we are all aware Crean is a better coach than Painter. You really think Painter is as good of an x and o coach as Archie?

Crean isn’t a better coach than CMP. And I said it was debatable. I don’t think you can clearly say Archie is a better x’s and o’s coach than Painter. It’s no different than a good iu team being nervous about going into Mackey against a subpar Purdue team. It’s a rivalry and plenty of times the lesser team won. 

18 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Crean isn’t a better coach than CMP. And I said it was debatable. I don’t think you can clearly say Archie is a better x’s and o’s coach than Painter. It’s no different than a good iu team being nervous about going into Mackey against a subpar Purdue team. It’s a rivalry and plenty of times the lesser team won. 

When Crean has worse talent, the games were competitive though Purdue won. When Crean had better talent he had some of the biggest wins in the history of the series, including by 37 in Mackey. 

I can be honest, Purdue's bad teams have never scared me under Painter. He's just not that good of a coach. 

39 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

When Crean has worse talent, the games were competitive though Purdue won. When Crean had better talent he had some of the biggest wins in the history of the series, including by 37 in Mackey. 

I can be honest, Purdue's bad teams have never scared me under Painter. He's just not that good of a coach. 

Yep. Gotta believe that Painter lives of the sleeves of his talent.  This year his talent is pretty good.  Other years, not so much.  Unlike, Knight who could get the most of his talent regardless, if they were up or down. 

It remains to be seen what Archie can do in terms of getting the most of his talent.... this year at IU. His track record at Dayton... with limited talent has been pretty good. But let's not refute  the fact that Archie's  talent is limited this year at IU, compared to what Painter has to offer. 

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Don’t think a good iu team ever has or will be nervous going into Mackey 

Found myself having trouble sleeping tonight! Decided to check up on Romeo updates and stumbled across this thread. 

Ive been a bad fan, forgot the game was tomorrow. However I’m afraid it’s going to be a bloodbath-this PU team is top notch and should be confident coming into Btown. 

12 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Well, Purdue has a big talent advantage and you're nervous. Must be because deep down you know Painter is a less than stellar coach. 

2 tourney wins in 5 or 6 seasons. Not necessarily Coach K material there. I don't understand the paranoia or insecurity of a Purdue fan at times. Darn good team. If this game ends up within 10 they should be ticked. Regardless of site. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

2 tourney wins in 5 or 6 seasons. Not necessarily Coach K material there. I don't understand the paranoia or insecurity of a Purdue fan at times. Darn good team. If this game ends up within 10 they should be ticked. Regardless of site. 

I got my hair cut the other day.  The barber is a big Boiler fan.  I asked him if he thought Purdue could make the FF.  He responded by saying he will believe it when he sees but he wasn't expecting it.  

8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

So if you guys get upset in the NCAA tourney, you won't be calling for Painter's job?  Seems to be a popular conversation on the boiler boards every year.

Archived